Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Green light blinking in rear of tower, pc will not power up

by ynneddod / January 24, 2006 6:25 AM PST

This a 4 month old Presario running XP. As per manual instructions, I called HP support and of course got a foreign gentleman that I couldn't understand. He informed me rather quickly that the machine would be out of warranty in a few days (warranty book says 1 year) and that the problem occurred because of a power surge and it was not covered. If I purchased accident insurance and ex warranty it would be free. This would be $199 or HP would fix it for the same price. I say this is bullcorn and if you know of any other possibilities for me to try, please let me know.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Green light blinking in rear of tower, pc will not power up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Green light blinking in rear of tower, pc will not power up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by John.Wilkinson / January 24, 2006 12:07 PM PST

There are several questions that need to be answered which would narrow down the possibilities, but you'll probably have to have diagnostics done to detaermine what's wrong and f it can be fixed. In that case, places such as Best Buy would charge you a nominal fee (~$50) to test it for you.

If the computer's only 4 months old, and you bought it new, the tech is an idiot...4 months, at least the last time I checked, was less than a year, meaning it's still under warrenty! Call back and get someone who speaks English or check their website and jump on the real-time online chat...I've found the support from them to be much more satisfactory.
The fact the warrenty is still valid is, unfortunately, not a factor here, as it does not cover acts of God, such as power surges....that's only covered by the accidental insurance policy. Since the problem has already happened, purchasing the insurance would do no's too late.
Was it plugged into a surge protector? (Everything, including the power cords, phone line, cable, etc) If so, see if the surge protector has a warrenty that coveres connected equipment. If so, they will most likely have to reimburse you for any damages that occurred.
When you press the power button, what happens?
* Does the light on the front turn on?
* Do you hear/see the fans kick on?
* If you press the button for a CD-ROM drive, does it open up?
* With the monitor on, does the monitor's power button change colors?
* Do you see the BIOS screen? (It should show either the HP logo or a bunch of stats)
The green light blinking on the it the one next to the fan towards the top? If so, try completely unplugging your computer, flipping the little switch back and forth between 120 and 240, ending in the position it originally was, and plugging it back in. Sometimes you'll get lucky an that will help.
With any luck, the surge only damaged the PSU (power supply unit). If that's the case, you can replace it for ~$40 and be on your way. However, there's also a good chance that the surge traveled throught your system, frying everything in sight. In that case, the motherboard, processor, optical drive, etc could be shot, and your hard drive, including all of your data, could be totaled. (I hope you have backups, as there's a possibility this could turn out really ugly.)

Hope this helps and let us know more.

P.S. Don't worry about posting in the wrong happens, especially when you're stressed. This is actually a hardware issue, but let's just continue on in this thread instead of starting over.

Collapse -
Yes, it was plugged into a surge protector
by ynneddod / January 24, 2006 1:05 PM PST
In reply to: Well...

John, the machine was plugged into a surge suppresor as was the monitor, the printer, and a light fixture in the closet which still burned brightly. The suppresor was also not tripped and looked to be a good quality unit. I'll test thoroughly tomorrow, I was just really angry over that tech jerk. The machine belongs to an 80 year old pastor and I installed it and showed them how to get answer e=mail prayer requests and keep up with their grandkids. They weren't anxious to pull out their credit cards and send more money to the people who manufactured their broke computer. To answer your other question the DVD-ROM door won't open and there is no fan noise or anything, it appears graveyard dead.

Collapse -
for the cost of shipping...
by reefurbb / January 25, 2006 9:37 AM PST

HP\Compaq...might give a free estimate but the shipping costs...
Probably a proprietary power supply, maybe up to $60, and as said, a risk that this isn't all.
Maybe not a surge problem as a mobo or processor gone bad...a warranty issue.
Email HP-Compaq support, or call, as already said, and mention NOTHING about a surge, nor agreement to repair costs.
Or find a local repair shop that can contact them for permission to open up.
Check shipping costs otherwise.
A last resort is to buy a cheap used PC that maybe can use some of the parts...but then XP will be invalidated if the Hdd and stuff is good and swapped.
That's why I stick with W98SE.

Collapse -
by John.Wilkinson / January 25, 2006 9:55 AM PST

HP recently changed their policy about opening the case yourself. Previously they placed a seal on the outside and threatened to void the warrenty if you opened it. However, they not use thumb screws to make it easie to open and include instructions (with diagrams) on how to open it up yourself. However, if you damage anything, it's up to you to repair/replace's not their fault if you damage something, even if while following their directions while on the phone. Thus, be careful and have a professional do it if you're not comfortable with doing it yourself or don't want to take the risk.

Also, when I had a problem with one of mine a while back, HP offered to send me the packing materials, along with a pre-paid shipping label. I ended up fixing it myself, so it never came to that, but the offer was given. To me it sounds like HP's finally moving along the right track in customer relations, despite the increasing number of non-English tech support personel.

However, that's a good may not have been the power surge that did it. Try HP again and see what they say when you limit what details you give may get lucky and find a little assistance.

Hope this helps,

P.S. HP favors Hipro power supplies, though I swapped it out without much of a hassle.

Collapse -
HP will fix for free
by CandiApple / January 31, 2006 12:04 PM PST
In reply to: Actually...

I have a pc that was under warranty and HP sent me the packing materials, picked it up, and returned the pc to me - no charge.

You may want to consider this. I know its a church and all but do you have to say it was plugged into a surge protector..can you just say it just stopped working.

**I hear lightening striking around me**

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.