Computer Help

General discussion

Gray screen lock up and crash, XP, Compaq, MS security...

by mikerad / October 13, 2007 12:07 AM PDT

I have a Compaq Laptop Model Persario V2000 running windows XP. 1.7 or 1.8 AMD processor with 512mb. The system gets a gray screen lock up working from the outside of the screen in, and then all that I can do is reboot. I have noticed the following. Unit does this we attempting to run Windows Explorer V7. The unit was attempting to download a Microsoft security update, and it crashes. At one point of this update it would lock at 33% and 86%. There is also a JAVA update that the Laptop was trying to load...

I have attempted the following to fix:

I ran a full Norton?s virus scan, no hits.
I ran a trend micro spyware scan. A few fixes there.
I noticed that Norton?s live update would spike my CPU usage to 100%, and I have since uninstalled Norton?s security suite, and live update
Running in safe mode, I reset my PC using the recovery program to August 30th.

None of these steps have fixed my problem.

Is this a common or known error, or am I just special...

Any recommendations for a fix would be appreciated.

Thanks

mikerad

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Gray screen lock up and crash, XP, Compaq, MS security...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Gray screen lock up and crash, XP, Compaq, MS security...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Gray screen lock up and crash, XP, Compaq, MS security...
by mikerad / October 13, 2007 3:08 AM PDT

Wow, this must be bad, no replies...

Mikerad

Collapse -
Have You Tried?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 13, 2007 2:07 PM PDT

First, you can disable the autoupdate option on both Windows Updates and Java.. Using an admin login, access the Control Panel, then the Sun "Java" icon.. Click on the "Update" tab, then UNCHECK the "Check for updates automatically" box.. Once that is done, while still in the "Control Panel", double click on the "Automatic Updates" icon and turn them "OFF"..

Next, do you run an antispyware program? If not, try full system scan with either of the free programs below:

Ewido/AVG Antispyware 7.5 Tool

SUPERAntispyware Removal Tool

It's now possible to manually download and install the newest Java by following the instructions below:

Sun Java
Click on the link to Sun's Java below, then click on the ''Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6u3'' download button. Follow the prompts, accept the license agreement, then download the full ''Windows Offline Installation'' file to your desktop,(about 15 MB), scan it with your antivirus (just to be sure it's clean). Once that's done, if you've already got a Sun Java version on the computer, open the Control Panel, double click on the ''Add/Remove Programs'' section, then uninstall all previous versions of the J2SE Java listed there. Once that's done, then install Java JRE 6u3 from the downloaded installer.

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

Next, as long as you've got a legal version of Windows XP, visit the Windows Update site manually to download and install any needed critical updates. (Open Internet Explorer, click on "Tools-Windows Update" then follow the prompts to download and install

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Grif

Collapse -
Have you Tried? Thanks for the reply... one more question
by mikerad / October 14, 2007 1:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Have You Tried?

I had to go into the office for a bit, and it will a little while before I can attempt this fix. But a sincere thank you for the reply.

Do you think I can do what you suggested in safe mode?

I was on the phone with Compaq tech support yesterday, and the tech had be play with the video drivers, really to no avail by the way...

Thanks

Mike

Collapse -
I also pulled up the event viewer, here are the errors
by mikerad / October 16, 2007 1:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Have You Tried?

I got about half way through the instructions that were given right to the point of removing Java2se, and ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS will not work in safe mode. I had to go to regular mode, and the unit crashed when I tried to remove the old Java. Do you know of a way to remove a program while in safe mode.

I also turned on the event viewer, and here is a sample of the error messages that I'm seeing, in case it helps....

Application Errors

WMIadapter x30+
ESENT x3
PerNet x30+

System errors
service control magager x12
Disk x30
DCOM x3
Dhcp x2

Thanks

Mike

Collapse -
Which Java?
by BrianZachary / October 16, 2007 9:44 PM PDT

Which Java do you have in your computer now, Microsoft's or Sun Microsystems? I was told once to remove Microsoft's Java and replace it with Sun Microsystems Java. If you need to remove Microsoft's Java, there is a program that will do that, but I don't know the name of it. Being it's a program, you should be able to use it in Safe Mode. Let me know if you need it and I will try to find it for you.

Collapse -
Internet explorer 7
by Darmuk / October 18, 2007 5:50 AM PDT

Uninstall internet explorer 7 and the problems it is causing will go away. If you want all the same features of internet explorer seven install firefox. You will be much happy...

Collapse -
Is that safe?
by BrianZachary / October 18, 2007 6:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Internet explorer 7

I always thought you had to have IE installed on any Windows, even if you don't use it. Wouldn't uninstalling IE cause problems with other parts of Windows?

Collapse -
On XP, Uninstalling IE7 Will Revert To IE6..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 19, 2007 10:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Is that safe?

..so it doesn't uninstall IE entirely..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Well that fixed it. Good bye IE7
by mikerad / October 21, 2007 11:42 AM PDT

Well folks, that fixed it. Removing IE7 fixed the system. By the way I downloaded a registry scan program, and I also found 512+ errors and the system did lock up after those fixes were made...

Anyway, I'd like to give a big thanks to those that offered advice. I'm just glad to be done with this.

Mike

Collapse -
You're welcome
by BrianZachary / October 21, 2007 2:10 PM PDT

Glad we could help and thanks for letting us know it's fixed.

One suggestion is, if you like the browsing you get with IE7, you can always use a different browser like Firefox or Avant Browser or one of the many other browsers available. Most are more secure, more customizable and easier to use than any version of IE anyway.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.