Desktops forum

General discussion

Graphics card fan problem...

by shOrty-s2oOo / October 21, 2004 3:16 PM PDT

I have a GeForce Ti4200, one day I spotted the card was hot and the GPU fan wasn't spinning...so I wanted a new card, a GeForce FX5600, installed it and turns out the fan on this one doesn't work either...I can tell the fan worked on the Ti4200 because there is dust circulating around the heatsink and fan...but the new FX5600 isn't spinning at all, it is also new...

Is it the AGP port?
Something I have to set in BIOS?
Probable reason why my counter-strike keeps shutting down?
Probably why I sometimes receive the blue screen of death?
Probably why my computer does random reboots?

I have a 550W power supply, enough juice for everything...anybody know the problem? Please help!

Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Graphics card fan problem...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Graphics card fan problem...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Graphics card fan problem...
by speerross / October 21, 2004 7:03 PM PDT

I had this exact problem...if only I can remember exactly what i did.

and yes all those to all those questions, this is the probably reason. Your computer willl turn itself off if it gets dangerously hot/not enough power.

Check your power connectors, swap some around so your connecting your card with a dufferent connector.

In the meantime refrain from using high profile programs (i.e games, digital video editors)as your graphics card could fry at any moment. I will try and get you a better answer when my Dad gets home as he might be able to remember how we fixed this (and it wasn't ordering a new card)

Collapse -
by shOrty-s2oOo / October 22, 2004 2:07 PM PDT

hey...i tried a geforce mx420 also (it doesn't come with a fan, just a heatsink) but my computer still reboots randomly....i dont know whats wrong...

my harddrive runs hot like krazy now, for some weird reason my processor and chipset runs at temp. 40-50C (touching it was not even close to warm), it use to run at 55-70C...one thing i remembered doing was updating the VIA 4in1 driver...i tried uninstalling but computer still rebooting...my power supply runs cool now also...power supply use to run hot....i think the driver update cause this weird problem, i mean its good for the processor because of less heat, but my hard drives are going hottt...(or maybe i never felt the harddrive for heat issues before)

Motherboard: Giga-Byte KT266A GA-7VTXE+
things i also tried doing are:
1. removing memory sticks
2. change from PCI to AGP graphics card
3. used 3 types of graphics card
4. reformatting SP1, SP2
5. updating every driver
6. removing my sound blaster to a different pci slot

also my nero keeps on having this error and shuts itself down...also reboots if i do mad work on the computer...
im having this same problem to my other new built computer (3000 amd athlon xp, 256mb, 80g, 400w, vantec cooler, radeon 7000)

help help help!!!!

Collapse -
by shOrty-s2oOo / October 22, 2004 4:09 PM PDT

I have an update to my error, i disabled automatic restart in windows, and now i get the blue screens each time...when i boot back in to windows, it ask me if i should send the error to microsoft, after i clicked ok, it sent me a link to a website reading this:

Error Caused by Graphics Device Driver
Thank you for submitting an error report. Microsoft is unable to specifically determine what caused the problem you reported. If you would like to try and troubleshoot the problem, please utilize the information listed below.

Analysis

A device driver installed on your system caused the problem, but we cannot determine the precise cause. Depending on which situation is applicable to you, do one of the following:

If you are running Windows Server 2003 you may experience crashes if you have adjusted the Hardware Acceleration setting. Microsoft recommends that the Hardware Acceleration setting be set to None for server systems. To check your Hardware Acceleration setting, go to the advanced section of the display properties dialog box.
If you know the manufacturer of the device, contact the manufacturer's product support service for assistance.
If you don't know the driver's manufacturer and need help diagnosing and resolving this problem, contact your computer manufacturer's product support service.
Updated drivers might be available on the Microsoft Windows Update Web site. At Windows Update, you can have your computer scanned and, if there are updated drivers available, Windows Update will offer a selection of drivers that you might be able to use. To learn more about updated drivers that might be available, visit Microsoft Windows Update.
For information about Microsoft support options, visit Microsoft Product Support Services.
You can track this error report by clicking the Track this error report link. If you choose to track your error report, you will be notified of resolutions to this problem as they are identified.

also this:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=293078
Error Message: STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER (Q293078)
----------i tried this also (disabling hardware acceleration)

STILL NO LUCK!!
also when each time i try to run a spyware removal program like spybot, adaware....my computer reboots...

i tried searching one time, with adaware and found 300spywares...they told me some application are open and could not quarantined like 10 files...so it automatically rebooted right after, but adaware doesnt pop up again to scan...also tried safe mode...which doesn't work either....

HELLPPP!!!!
thanks!

Collapse -
by shOrty-s2oOo / October 24, 2004 7:04 AM PDT

bump..

anybody?

Collapse -
Same problem here
by grifpau / December 23, 2004 2:13 AM PST

I have the exact same problem here. If you could help, please send me an email at

grifpau@yahoo.co.uk

However, luckally I have set a system restore point. I don't particularly want to use it if anybody knows any solutions. PLease help!

Thanks in advance

Paul

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.