PC Hardware forum

Graphics Card Crashing During Games

by georgehod / July 10, 2013 7:08 PM PDT

Graphics Card crashing during games.

OK my computer is a little old, However it's still working fine on the internet playing YouTube etc. However yesterday I Just yesterday I downloaded Arma 2 and starting playing it all good! Until today I loaded it up hoping to play it again but then the game(graphics card crashed) So I fitted an extra fan to the PC hoping it would maybe cool it down if it was overheating,This worked for about 2-1/2 hours however then It still crashed. The crash we are talking about is: squares just cover the screen then it No Signals and turns back on with a message saying "Graphics card stopped working and recovered itself" so i restart the game and about 10-20minutes later it does it again.. I can't seem to get a good long session without it crashing. Here are some stats Of my computer. 2GB Ram is old but should be OK because I am playing on the low graphics, this shouldn't make the game crash. I also gave it a dusting.

ATI Radeon 3600 series(Idle Temp - 41c)
Gaming temp - 51-2c)

Power Supply: ThermalTake 675w
Pentium Dual Core E6300 2.8GHz
1.4 TB Hardrive.
Windows 7
Gigabyte Motherboard

If there is a solution out there please provide it. I am upgrading to a decent PC soon but for now is there a way I can play smoothly?I want to try and do this without spending money because I am saving for the new PC.

Thanks in advance

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Graphics Card Crashing During Games
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Graphics Card Crashing During Games
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
It's time
by Willy / July 10, 2013 11:53 PM PDT

Could you do "push-ups for 2.5hrs.? That would be strenuous task and when it comes to gaming use, pretty much the same thing as you push until it breaks. You also found a simple cure at least for awhile, extra fan. That should have been long ago installed prior to any problems, because w/o it everything in that PC case has been working under "heat stress" conditions. Video cards are a weak link in such conditions and now it will only get worse, it's already too late. You may provide better cooling after the fact but it has become unstable and as you already know it's an older system, the effects of long use under stressful conditions has come at a price, replace and repair time. I'm sure if you replace the video card and get even better cooling would prolong use of that PC, otherwise its current "iffy" operation will remain. It will however work well in all likelihood under typical operation w/o heavy demand for the immediate future.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Did you try it with the cover off?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2013 1:15 AM PDT

I find a lot of folk upgrade the PSU and card and then it works for some minutes or a few hours so leave the cover off to let the heat spill out.

There are also big issues with games and video card drivers and settings.

One member has 30 posts and in the end he found out the game would indeed crack up if they turned on some graphic feature. That's a bug and a testament to the industry that accepts bugs and limitations.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.