Car Tech

General discussion

Grand Cherokee stalls and backfires soon after short drive

by 73redvette / March 26, 2010 11:32 PM PDT

I have a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 4.0L engine that has been losing power and backfiring shortly after starting the engine and driving about 200 yrds. The engine stalls down to where it just about quits and then starts backfiring a few times and runs this way for about 30 seconds and then clears up and runs decent until I stop and park it overnight and when I get in to drive it again the problem starts all over again. I have had it to a couple of service centers and they can't figure it out either. DOES ANYONE HAVE A SUGGESTION ABOUT FIXING THIS PROBLEM BEFORE I PUT A BULLET IN IT. Dave D.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Grand Cherokee stalls and backfires soon after short drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Grand Cherokee stalls and backfires soon after short drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Grand Cherokee stalls and backfires
by janetavril / July 7, 2010 12:59 AM PDT

Having exactly the same problem and wondered if you have had any responses from anyone.

Collapse -
JEEP STALLING PROBLEMS
by jimh777 / December 1, 2012 8:00 AM PST

I want to thank every one for there email .... it helped me solve the problem... 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0

I did everything mentioned - the screw thing on the CPU did not help, replaced the CPU did not help, replaced the IAC sensor - did not help, crankcase sensor did not help,replaced the MAP sensor did not help but did run better but the jeep would run fine for about 3 or 4 min and then just stop.... dang this is getting way old times 10...

After messing with this problem for about 3 months I was over it... could not sell or trade in of the problem. Finally bought another car for my wife because I could not trust it any longer, just paid cash for a used 2006 Toyota (nice car), something I could trust for a while... The jeep would run but I never knew when it was going to quite on her. Anyway this gave me some time to think about it some..0

Two days later at work and the thought came to mind that maybe it was the ignition switch (I believe this was the Lord because I had been praying for weeks). Naaa could't be, doesn't make sense! I came home and did some research and sure enough I found out that not only could it be but it was good chance it was the problem all along. Long story short - I purchased the switch from advance store $64 and put it on myself.... Now she purrs like a kitten... problem solved!!!

Here is some info so you can check to see if you have the same problem.

Watch Your Dashboard Lights

In older cars, the natural wear and tear on a vehicle can lead to ignition switch failure. If the switch is failing, you will probably not hear any clicks from the main relay, which fires the ignition. Check the behavior of the dashboard lights if your vehicle stalls. Alternatively, when the key is first turned to position two, the oil light, brake light, charge light and other warning lights will not function. You can try a test to check the integrity of the ignition switch by turning the ignition key to the 'start' position. As soon as it tries to start let go of the key. Allow it to snap back to the 'run' position and note warning lights. If they go out as the switch snaps back then the switch is faulty.

After you purchase a new switch here is a video on how to change it out - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reonxApWkVU... took me a couple of hours actually 3... had to go to harbor freight to purchase a set of tamper proof torx bits.. because of the special screws holding on the switch to the steering column....

JIMH - Chesapeake Va 12/1/2012

Collapse -
96 jeep grand cherokee stalling and backfires
by mjack123 / August 1, 2011 11:53 AM PDT

i am having the same problem were you able to resolve yor problem

Collapse -
Jeep stalling fix...
by thatonegirl100 / February 26, 2012 2:09 AM PST

After nearly 3 years of stalling, a new computer, 3 mufflers and 2 ignition coils...I simply caved and tried what I should have tried 3 years ago...Knowing that just wiggling the wiring harness (particularly the connector closest to the engine)..would get her to start again. I finally just cleaned all three connectors with contact cleaner and zip tied them down using 24" heavy duty zip ties $5 at home depot...

The first time I did it it worked for a couple days and started stalling again but only because I didn't have them tight enough...I just had someone stronger tighten them down really well and I have two on the 3rd connector just in case! It was the cause of all of the codes and misery...I became a pro at keeping her going...never coming to a complete stop always tricking her by tapping the brake a bit or throwing it into park at a light and kept my foot on the gas...talk about anxiety every time I had to drive.

I always thought there had to be a heat issue...I could time when she would stall, always in the same place on my drive to work and home..like clockwork. The warmer it was outside the more frequent. I would pop the hood hop out, wiggle the wiring harness or re-seat the connectors...hop back in and take off...it was like a nascar pit stop every few blocks for me...I was way to good at it...

I will admit I still proceed with caution because of the head games I went through for 3 years...but I have about 1,000 miles on her since the fix with no stalls...

Hope this helps...and prevents someone from igniting their Jeep on fire or driving it off a cliff!

Collapse -
How to fix Jeep Stalling
by ernfriend / August 18, 2011 7:38 AM PDT

Fixed my Jeep stalling problem for good. Total cost? $3.27 How can you do the same?
Buy a gallon of gasoline in a can, open the hood and douse engine compartment liberally. Stand back and throw in a lighted match. They stand back and enjoy the show knowing that your Jeep will never backfire again. Finally, buy a real car. I have had it with Chrysler and Jeep products.

Collapse -
JEEP STALLING ---- BAD IGNITION SWITCH
by jimh777 / December 1, 2012 7:59 AM PST

I want to thank every one for there email .... it helped me solve the problem... 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0

I did everything mentioned - the screw thing on the CPU did not help, replaced the CPU did not help, replaced the IAC sensor - did not help, crankcase sensor did not help,replaced the MAP sensor did not help but did run better but the jeep would run fine for about 3 or 4 min and then just stop.... dang this is getting way old times 10...

After messing with this problem for about 3 months I was over it... could not sell or trade in of the problem. Finally bought another car for my wife because I could not trust it any longer, just paid cash for a used 2006 Toyota (nice car), something I could trust for a while... The jeep would run but I never knew when it was going to quite on her. Anyway this gave me some time to think about it some..0

Two days later at work and the thought came to mind that maybe it was the ignition switch (I believe this was the Lord because I had been praying for weeks). Naaa could't be, doesn't make sense! I came home and did some research and sure enough I found out that not only could it be but it was good chance it was the problem all along. Long story short - I purchased the switch from advance store $64 and put it on myself.... Now she purrs like a kitten... problem solved!!!

Here is some info so you can check to see if you have the same problem.

Watch Your Dashboard Lights

In older cars, the natural wear and tear on a vehicle can lead to ignition switch failure. If the switch is failing, you will probably not hear any clicks from the main relay, which fires the ignition. Check the behavior of the dashboard lights if your vehicle stalls. Alternatively, when the key is first turned to position two, the oil light, brake light, charge light and other warning lights will not function. You can try a test to check the integrity of the ignition switch by turning the ignition key to the 'start' position. As soon as it tries to start let go of the key. Allow it to snap back to the 'run' position and note warning lights. If they go out as the switch snaps back then the switch is faulty.

After you purchase a new switch here is a video on how to change it out - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reonxApWkVU... took me a couple of hours actually 3... had to go to harbor freight to purchase a set of tamper proof torx bits.. because of the special screws holding on the switch to the steering column....

JIMH - Chesapeake Va 12/1/2012

Collapse -
same thing
by kaileigh2013 / March 12, 2015 11:57 AM PDT

Hello my jeep is doing the same thing ur is. Did u ever find out what was wrong?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.