Computer Help

Question

Got sold a computer and was told false information about it

by Jubilee8269 / March 27, 2013 10:26 AM PDT

So I bought a computer last year and was told it was a year old and had the power supply replaced. All was good the first few months. No real problems as I was getting used to windows 7 after having xp. Then I find out it can't play games like I told the guy I wanted to be able to do when I bought it. Spent four months trying to get different ones to play and finding info out about this computer.

Turns out it has an intel g31/g33 chipset graphics card, which from what I've read can play very little, and is actually from 2008 not 2011 like he told me. I've called him on it and he keeps insisting he never said any of that and it should play games like Skyrim and WoW just fine. I just need to update the drivers. Like I haven't tried that already....

Then he tells me to get a PCIe chip put in to override the card even though all the sites I've visited that had info on the intel chipset said you can't use those. He's been of no help at all and keeps denying everything. I feel extremely angry since he knew to begin with that I am a gamer and was replacing a computer only two years older than this one is so I could play those games and now I'm going to have to get a new computer again so soon.

Would the PCIe thing work? Any advice on how to handle this guy? Really anything right now would work.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Got sold a computer and was told false information about it
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Got sold a computer and was told false information about it
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
PCIe

PCIe is an expansion slot technology, primarily used for video cards, but there are other things that use it as well. So if the computer you bought has a PCIe x16 slot, just stick a video card in there. My personal recommendation would be something from nVidia. AMD is the one doing all the innovative work on the hardware side of things, but their drivers just tend to be so incredibly bad you sometimes can't really even use the card. nVidia's a bit boring feature wise, but generally pretty reliable.

Since you've now had the computer for several months, you're basically stuck with it. If you would have said you just got the computer less than a month ago then maybe there'd be some room for demanding a refund. In this case, just live and learn. Next time you buy a computer from an independent builder, make sure the first thing you do is make sure all the specs line up with what you were supposed to be getting. It's also not a bad idea to put any new computer through some stress testing to make sure that it holds up. That won't find every piece of potentially bad hardware, but it's a good quick and easy way to find any components with rather serious issues right out of the gate.

Collapse -
re: PCIe
by Jubilee8269 / March 28, 2013 2:54 PM PDT
In reply to: PCIe

How do I know if it has a PCIe slot? I was trusting this guy because I know nothing of computer hardware and how it works.

Collapse -
Re: PCIe
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 28, 2013 5:42 PM PDT
In reply to: re: PCIe

You open the case and see what slots on the motherboard are available.

Maybe better take the PC with you to a nearby computer shop and ask them to look what video cards would fit in it.

Kees

Collapse -
Open the computer
by mad_reaper / March 29, 2013 1:06 PM PDT
In reply to: re: PCIe

To see the slots, you'll have to open your computer. You'll unscrew any screws that hold the cover although be careful not to unscrew other screws that might hold the power supply or something else. Once you remove the cover, you'll see slots on the motherboard (the biggest circuit board in your computer), possibly standard PCI or PCIe (PCI Express) or a mix of the two. You can use Google to find images of PCI and PCIe slots. Each slot will contain a few dozen connectors, probably gold or silver looking connectors, in long rows. The connectors in a PCIe slot are closer together and smaller and more delicate looking. The connectors in a regular PCI slot are further apart and bigger.

Collapse -
Answer
rule for the future
by ancrom / March 29, 2013 12:46 PM PDT

If you are going to be a gamer learn your hardware.

Collapse -
Answer
If you provide the PC Mfg name, series and model number
by VAPCMD / March 31, 2013 6:34 AM PDT

we can probably tell whether it has a PCIe slot.

If the PC is a clone .... you can download and run something like PCWizard or Belarc Advisor, etc., and it will tell you what MB is in the system.

Let us know.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.