Windows 7 forum

Question

Got a Call from Windows Technical Department !

by Sanguine_about_denouement / September 10, 2012 7:37 AM PDT

I recently received a call from an Unknown number. The person was
claiming that he was from Windows Technical Team. I don't know from
where did he get my phone number and email address.

He told me that my computer is affected with Malware and suspicious
viruses. He told me to check the following folder in "Computer
Management" window:

EventViewer->WindowsLogs->Applications.

There I see lot of red color errors icon listed and he told me that
my personal information is going out of my computer online,like
my passwords, documents etc.

I'm skeptic about this person.

He was asking me to download TeamViewer software on my computer
but I didn't do it for the time being and asked him to call me on Friday.

The following is the website he was referring me:

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

What do you think guys about it? Should I trust this person?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Got a Call from Windows Technical Department !
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Got a Call from Windows Technical Department !
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
here is the name, phone number, and company of the caller
by braveeli / March 11, 2013 2:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Absolutely not.

I got a similar call today, and the callers are getting more sophisticated. He claimed he was "Peter Michael" of the Windows Technical Department of Technolog Solutions, based in California, and that his phone number was 424 256 3700. However, he did not want me to call back, and said he would wait on the line until I could find the information he requested. When I said that his detection systems must be very good to detect that we had a Windows based virus because all of our computers were Macs, "Peter Michael" hung up abruptly
The phone number he provided checks out as being in southern California, but there is no website for a company called Technolog Solutions.

Collapse -
Answer
NO!!!!!!!
by bob b / September 10, 2012 8:07 AM PDT

M.S. does not call people.

I smell a scam.........nuff said.

Collapse -
Answer
Did you have number recognition on?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 10, 2012 8:18 AM PDT

If it was a USA number, contact the police.

And don't take up the phone when they call, whereever they call from (most likely China or Russia). Even better, take up the phone and turn the volume of your stereo high, so they can enjoy the music for a while before trying to put malware on another PC (of a more naive user).

Kees

Collapse -
Here's the tune I play for some calls. Link only.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 10, 2012 8:19 AM PDT
Collapse -
PS. A clip for levity
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2012 12:34 AM PDT
Collapse -
The number was unknown
by Sanguine_about_denouement / September 10, 2012 9:36 AM PDT

Thanks a lot everyone for your replies. It really helped me.

By the way, the there was no number displayed on my cell phone. It just says, "Unknown" on my mobile screen.

Can I still report to Police? I'm located in USA.

Collapse -
Re: police
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 10, 2012 7:36 PM PDT
In reply to: The number was unknown

Doesn't make much sense. They can't do anything with it.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Absolutely NO!
by mchainmchain / September 10, 2012 7:28 PM PDT

Just five minutes of my time using web-based website scanners produced the following:

hxxp://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx (modified to prevent accidental exposure to unsuspecting viewers)

http://www.urlvoid.com/scan/teamviewer.com/
http://www.scumware.org/search.scumware

Actual preview of site without actually visiting here: http://urlquery.net/report.php?id=172712 (click upper right corner for site preview).

Always be suspicious when cold-called out of the blue; if you did not initiate, then likely phishing is involved.

Collapse -
Answer
Definitely a scam!
by Michael_Dwells / September 13, 2012 1:56 PM PDT

You should NOT. That's another case of this so-called fake Microsoft scam. These scammers tell you there is a virus in your computer and that it'd crash your system down unless you remove it immediately. But don't be fooled. Be aware that Microsoft will never call you about your computer, much more know there is a problem with it. The call is a scam and you should never disclose any information to the caller.

Collapse -
Answer
Report them to the authorities!
by Michael_Dwells / September 13, 2012 1:58 PM PDT

And I think it is important that you report this caller and his phone number to http://www.callercenter.com and the FTC in an attempt to shut the scam down. They could still be calling and be able to scam others unless they're caught.

Collapse -
Answer
Aussies get the call too
by Vaycee / September 14, 2012 3:39 PM PDT

We probably have one or two calls a week like this. I have strung them along on occasion (they usually suggest you go to the START button and I say I don't have one, then after a while tell them I teach computing to seniors and they hang up), but mostly I ask how they know I even have a computer!!!! Then if they have an answer for that I ask which of my many computers are they talking about and which make!!!! They hang up!!!!

As advised - don't respond to cold callers supposedly from any organisation with whom you do business - Microsoft, government agencies, banks, credit card companies - the spiels always sound very plausible, but as mentioned earlier these organisations do not call you or email you asking for detailed information which they already hold.

Collapse -
Answer
Phony callers
by pauly1651 / March 15, 2013 12:20 PM PDT

Microsoft will never waste the time or money to call anybody.
Any outside caller can not know if you have a computer or not.
Either hang up or play some real loud acid rock into the phone for them.

Collapse -
Answer
"Microsoft Technical Depatment?"
by darin23 / March 21, 2013 3:26 AM PDT

Hello,
I just received the same call from "Windows Technical Department". The man was obviously Indian by his accent.

I asked him several times , " Are you Microsoft?" He replied "Windows Technical Department". I asked him again and again. Then I told him he is lying , Microsoft does not and cannot call people because of "viruses" on their computers. He then quickly hung up on me. Obviously a SCAM. Dont be suckered in. His number is 284-621-5493. Area code 284 is the local telephone area code of the British Virgin Islands (BVI).

Collapse -
Windows Operating Systems Technical Department
by carsonjane / September 11, 2013 3:06 PM PDT

I received a call today from a man with a East Indian accent who said that my computer has sent many error messages to their department and I needed for him to fix it right away because it had malware in it from updates from Microsoft and I should never install any updates from Microsoft. I told him I had company and that he could either email me a number where I could reach him after my company left or he could give me a number while I was talking to him. The telephone number he gave me was 209-975-7123 which is a Modesto, CA area code.

After arguing with him for 10 minutes that I would not turn on my computer. That I would not let anyone work on my computer who called me. And if I did have a problem that my anti-virus program had missed then I would take it to my computer shop and have them fix it. He abruptly hung up. I could tell this was a SCAM from the start because there is always a short silence before anyone ever says anything because they are calling two numbers at once in case one is busy or no one is home.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.