PC Applications forum

Google Web Designer beta?

by ChefLeeZ / October 29, 2013 11:58 AM PDT

I have completed a 10 page website in Google's new cross platform web designer and all previews look great on web designer's preview function but overlaps forms when posted to our web site host and viewed on MS Internet explorer. Why would this be so? Is there a code fix that can be input before or after each form to eliminate their overlapping on i.e.?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Google Web Designer beta?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Google Web Designer beta?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2013 12:20 PM PDT

This is not a new issue. That is, web designers have for over a decade had to cater/tweak so it works in IE.

Given the rather long history, I too would why folk have put up with IE for so long.

Collapse -
Google web designer is promoted as a cross platform html5 wy
by ChefLeeZ / October 29, 2013 3:51 PM PDT
In reply to: True.

You are saying hoorah for Google and forget ie. Sorry but near 60% of all internet use is still i.e.. Cross plstform has to include googles competitors or its not cross platform and simply become another one Googles Half baked products and it wasted 40 hours of my time if there is no fix.

Collapse -
What I'm writing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2013 2:32 AM PDT

Is your topic is well worn. HOWEVER if you did use the Google product you might hit a wider audience. That is, I see Chrome on iPhone, iPad, Mobile devices, tablets, PCs and more.

There are far more mobile devices than PCs that run IE so you might have not wasted your time at all.

Collapse -
A cross platform that doesn't include i.e. isn't!
by ChefLeeZ / October 30, 2013 9:09 AM PDT
In reply to: What I'm writing.

ChefLeeZ pagesbelow view fine on Google web designer previewer but overlap on i.e.. Try them on both chrome and i.e. and let me know if you agree this is not a cross platform software.

Try them from the links on the home page http://www.cookingschoolsintl.com/chefleez/indexn.htm

or directly to the page

or http://www.cookingschoolsintl.com/chefleez/Reviews.htm

You need to know I couldn't figure out how to insert them by the program components so I pasted the forms codes into the page via the code view where I searched for key words to insert after same and moved them into position in the design view and they show up perfectly in the preview panel on chrome and over lap in i.e..

Collapse -
Sorry but this area is well worn.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2013 2:59 AM PDT

The discussions about getting web code (HTML and such) that works across all browsers is legend. Yes, I hear what you want but I get the feeling you haven't been on this ride long.

That doesn't make it right but even trying to get IE to behave makes folk explode. There are folk that want the page to look just so on IE 6 to 11 and well, even that can be a monumental effort.

Not sure if I can cure the world's issues here but I can acknowledge it.

Collapse -
The work around I've found is..
by ChefLeeZ / October 31, 2013 8:54 AM PDT

The fix is in .. I created a new page just for the contact us form and now the Pay Pay forms behave correctly. The contact page http://chefleez.com/ContactUs.htm still behaves differently in chrome than in i.e. both are acceptable but neither is what I want.

The contact us form has a div box attached to it, visible in design mode, which sits tight to the left border and in i.e. it presents the form tight to the left border while in chrome it fits the right edge of the form tight to the right border. Deleting this div box deletes the contact us form.

Suggested code to fix?

The code fix would be?

Now working but not what I wanted is the review page at http:chefleez.com/Reviews.htm. To achieve this I switched the left form to be on the right side of the page and played with the height of each to get what you now see. Why are these forms not functioning like the Pay Pay forms on http://ChefLeeZ.com/Reserve.htm?

Too bad the code view doesn't have a search & replace function force one to create a page in one's host and copy from web designer and paste to the new page so as to use the search function to find words to fix.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.