TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Google TV live chat with CNET editor David Katzmaier

by CNET Event admin / November 5, 2010 2:19 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Google TV live chat with CNET editor David Katzmaier
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Google TV live chat with CNET editor David Katzmaier
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
service charges?
by jimyim10 / November 9, 2010 1:29 AM PST

Are there any monthly fees associated with Google TV?

Collapse -
No monthly fees...
by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / November 9, 2010 1:32 AM PST
In reply to: service charges?

The GTV service itself doesn't cost extra per month, but optional services like Netflix do.

Collapse -
Not directly
by MoskovciakM CNET staff / November 15, 2010 5:48 AM PST
In reply to: service charges?

Although some applications in Google TV, like Netflix and Hulu Plus (coming in the future), may require subscriptions.

Collapse -
Welcome, chat is open now.
by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / November 9, 2010 1:31 AM PST

Fire away with your Google TV questions...

Collapse -
set top boxes
by caffreyc / November 9, 2010 1:32 AM PST

Most of the equipment that works with google tv have sites that say you need a set top box. I don't have one. Can one use google tv without one as long as you have an hdmi port on your tv?

Collapse -
Yep, no box required...
by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / November 9, 2010 1:34 AM PST
In reply to: set top boxes

Although GTV is designed to work with a cable or satellite box as one source for TV content. Without a box, you're limited to the content Google TV can deliver on its own.

Collapse -
Good Enough to Buy
by fadig / November 9, 2010 1:32 AM PST

Is the Google TV good enough to buy now, or am I better off waiting until the next model comes out?

Collapse -
For early adopters...
by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / November 9, 2010 1:36 AM PST
In reply to: Good Enough to Buy

It's OK, but our main recc is that it needs some time in the oven for most users. I don't expect the hardware to evolve too much, but the software has some kinks.

Collapse -
Revue Hdmi audio output
by oye14 / November 9, 2010 1:33 AM PST

Why does the Logitech Revue output PCM via HDMI and Dolby Digital only via Optical Digital

Collapse -
No idea
by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / November 9, 2010 1:38 AM PST

Good question. I don't really know, but I imagine it's not something that's fixable in software.

Collapse -
GTV vs PC
by msable / November 9, 2010 1:33 AM PST

What features does Google TV provide that cannot be accessed via PC direct connection (streaming) to TV?

Collapse -
Basically none.
by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / November 9, 2010 1:39 AM PST
In reply to: GTV vs PC

A normal PC will deliver basically all of the functionality of GTV, with the exception of special apps like NBA and CNBC.

Collapse -
Google TV and Playon
by cstorms212 / November 9, 2010 1:33 AM PST

Can GoogleTV subsitute or compliment Playon TV?

Collapse -
That's unclear right now...
by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / November 9, 2010 1:41 AM PST
In reply to: Google TV and Playon
Collapse -
DISH Network integration
by jerry_sizzzler / November 9, 2010 1:33 AM PST

With the Dish/Google partnership will Google TV be implemented directly on Dish DVRs without the need for a separate box? And would this apply to existing DVRs (as a software update) instead of just new DVRs? Thanks.

Collapse -
Don't know...
by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / November 9, 2010 1:42 AM PST

Although I'd guess "yes" to the first one, eventually, but not on current Dish DVRs. So to answer the second, my guess is "only on new ones."

Collapse -
video recording
by hsweet / November 9, 2010 1:33 AM PST

Is there a DVR capability?

Collapse -
No recording
by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / November 9, 2010 1:43 AM PST
In reply to: video recording

You have to supply your own DVR.

Collapse -
Netflix
by oye14 / November 9, 2010 1:33 AM PST

Why does Revue use the old version of Netflix instead of the Roku version which allows search, etc

Collapse -
We were told...
by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / November 9, 2010 1:44 AM PST
In reply to: Netflix

By Logitech that it was just a timing issue, and that getting a newer interface on the Netflix app is a top priority. Search of netflix from GTV's search bar was also mentioned as a priority.

Collapse -
did you get my previous question?
by caffreyc / November 9, 2010 1:34 AM PST

I don't see my question. Did you get it or are you waiting to post it til you have an answer?

Collapse -
If it was the Q re: boxes...
by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / November 9, 2010 1:45 AM PST

My reply:

"Although GTV is designed to work with a cable or satellite box as one source for TV content. Without a box, you're limited to the content Google TV can deliver on its own."

Collapse -
Competition
by rtatman / November 9, 2010 1:34 AM PST

How is GTV expected to effect Comcast and satelite tv subscriptions?

Collapse -
Great question
by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / November 9, 2010 1:47 AM PST
In reply to: Competition

...especially since for the first time in history, subs to pay TV services are dropping. Google claims it's not competing against cable, but people I talk to are very interested in how Google TV can help "cut the cord" to drop cable TV subscriptions. The cards are held by the content owners at the moment, however, and moves like the web site/hulu block indicate they take GTV seriously.

Collapse -
Media file playback as compare to device like WDTV
by littlehorse / November 9, 2010 1:35 AM PST

How is the media playback support with .mkv .avi .iso and different codec that are widly supported by devices like WDTV ?

Collapse -
Not as good.
by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / November 9, 2010 1:50 AM PST

DLNA and file support are still works in progress on the Sony GTV devices (and definitely less-compatible than the PS3 or WDTV, for example). as for the revue:

"the Revue can also stream music, videos, and photos off a DLNA-compatible PC (or other DLNA-device) on the network. File format support is considerably better than many competitors, especially on the video side: .MKV, .FLV, .MTS, H.264, and AVI are all supported. "

Collapse -
Boxee and Google TV
by Android887 / November 9, 2010 1:35 AM PST

Why no review of Boxee and how will it compare to Google TV?

Collapse -
No sample yet
by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / November 9, 2010 1:50 AM PST
In reply to: Boxee and Google TV

...but we'll get one when it's available.

Collapse -
Why upgrade from Roku?
by jasoncaskey / November 9, 2010 1:35 AM PST

Any reason to upgrade from my functioning Roku?

Collapse -
Mainly, the browser IMO
by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / November 9, 2010 1:52 AM PST
In reply to: Why upgrade from Roku?

Roku can't get to lots of sites like comedycentral or adultswim. GTV can. GTV also has cross platform search, lots of app potential, and device control. Whether that's worth the extra cost is up to you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

LAST CHANCE TO WIN

Free trip to the Grand Prix

Don't miss your chance to win a trip to the Formula 1 Grand Prix in Monaco for you and a plus-one.