Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Google redirect

by sjmcgill / July 31, 2010 12:35 AM PDT

Two days ago when doing google searches I started getting redirected to bogus websites. If I copy and paste the redirect does not happen - it only happens when I click on the website I wish to visit. I have super antispyware and avg that are both current in version and both have been run. What is the problem? How do I get rid of the redirecting?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Google redirect
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Google redirect
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Here, We Start By Performing These Scans
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 31, 2010 3:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Google redirect

First, download, install, update, then run full system scans with both free malware removal tools below:

Malwarebytes Antimalware

Hitman Pro 3.5

Next, download TDSSKiller and follow guide to use the tool:
http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/solutions?qid=208280684

And when you're done, check your LAN settings in Internet Explorer like this:

Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools-Internet Options-Connection Tab. Click on the LAN settings button. IF there is a check mark next to "Use a proxy server for your LAN", uncheck it. Click OK. Then OK, again.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thank you
by sjmcgill / July 31, 2010 7:57 AM PDT

All seems to be working just fine now - thanks so much for your help!

Collapse -
Thanks!
by xxwmdxx / August 5, 2010 2:09 AM PDT

I had the exact same problem as the OP, and tried all the programs mentioned. Everything seems okay now. Thanks a million!

Collapse -
Awesome !
by cnetismyfriend / August 23, 2010 6:41 AM PDT

I've been utilizing cnet for years and I gotta say, cnet is FANTASTIC ! I've always been happy with the help and downloads I get. A couple weeks ago I got this stupid "redirect" problem. I don't know why I didn't come here first - after trying several suggestions elsewhere, I stumbled on this fix here at cnet and it worked !
I'm coming here first everytime from now on. You guys are great !

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.