Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Google problems

by badenpowellstrawblount / December 13, 2012 8:34 AM PST

Having tried all the browsers, I have chosen to stick with Internet Explorer, I have tried Crome and do not like it particularly this missing option to create a desktop shortcut. However, the only Google product I use, is gmail. I was attracted to it because of the storage capacity. But, this email program generates more SPAM than any other. I am getting up to 50 spam messages a day and am constantly applying filters to stop them, but they still keep coming. The only reason for this must be they are giving my email address to these spammers. I will now save all my important messages and go back to windows live mail which appears to be much safer.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Google problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Google problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hmmm, I've had a Gmail acc't 2 yrs w/o spam
by wpgwpg / December 13, 2012 8:45 AM PST
In reply to: Google problems

I don't know why you're getting so much spam, but your experience is totally opposite from mine because I never get spam at my Gmail account. If you've ever posted your email address in a public forum or other place, that could account for it. Windows Live Mail and Gmail are totally different things though. Gmail is an email service and Windows Live Mail is not. It's an email client for accessing a service like Gmail. It does have built in spam filters, but they're far form perfect.

Collapse -
been using Gmail
by itsdigger / December 13, 2012 9:19 AM PST

for 8 or 9 years now and I do get a lot of spam . I just emptied out my spam folder and had 602 spam mails since Black Friday. Fortunately Gmail has great filters and does a fantastic job of sorting out the junk. I never open any of them and none of them ever get to my desktop email. I think the longer you have an email account the more your address is circulated and so you receive more spam . That's why I have two different email addresses, one for general use , one for business use and I am very picky who gets that one... Digger

Collapse -
Ahh, I think you nailed it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2012 12:11 AM PST
In reply to: been using Gmail

I never look in my spam folder unless someone tells me they sent something and I didn't get it.

Just for you I went to look and sure enough there is stuff there. Thanks for asking. So the spam filter works very well indeed!
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.