The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Google DNS? Not Interested, How about You?

by quasar-atl / December 3, 2009 9:01 PM PST

Buzz Gang and Crew,
It appears that Google is moving into another realm of the Internet. Google wants to own your DNS connection to the Internet. I have been using OpenDNS for years so I am not likely to change. They are making some interesting claims about DNS improvements but then they have always made such claims in the past. So, are you interested in giving Google more of your Internet connection?

Later People. Wink

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-10408624-264.html
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2356618,00.asp
http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/12/04/google-introduces-free-public-dns/

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Google DNS? Not Interested, How about You?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Google DNS? Not Interested, How about You?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I just don't trust them...
by Slikkster / December 4, 2009 6:23 AM PST

Sorry...it's probably just paranoia, but Google is just too darn big for its own good. I have to kick myself when I've seen that I haven't logged out of gmail, and all my searches are still under my gmail address. Enough already with the data compilation. I'll stick with OpenDNS.

Collapse -
OpenDNS for me
by Philomorph / December 4, 2009 6:26 AM PST

I know why Google wants this, but I don't know why anyone else would. OpenDNS does it already and it works great.

Collapse -
Same here...
by skellener / December 5, 2009 6:28 AM PST

I'll stick with OpenDNS too.

Collapse -
Well
by Nicholas Buenk / December 4, 2009 12:37 PM PST

I don't think this is that much worse than them knowing everything you search for.
My question is what's the point, is there something wrong with DNS that needs google's help?

Collapse -
No...
by n74jw / December 8, 2009 8:46 AM PST

I think it is about market research. I run my own DNS server at home and at work. I'll stick with those...

Collapse -
nahh
by ifish60 / December 9, 2009 11:35 AM PST

nah, i'm a google guy but i have my limits. besides opendns works and you can use it as a content filter. i don't believe google has that.

Collapse -
Google DNS sucks
by zextron / December 30, 2009 6:27 PM PST

I've used google DNS servers as forwarders. At first it went OK. I manage several domains. Some on no-ip.com and some on joker.com

The problem was that when there was an IP change on no-ip the change was noticed in a few minutes. Changes on joker.com (and some less known registars) took forever. I reverted back to my ISP or opendns after waiting for over 12 hours. Google is fast because they cache for (I guess) the maximum 48 hours DNS can take to propagate. This was OK 10 years ago. Not today.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.