Computer Help forum

Google Chrome won't let me upload pictures

by thequeenofcurdsandcream / October 1, 2012 7:07 PM PDT

Since switching to Google Chrome from Firefox I find I can't upload pictures. I write for a website, and have also tried to upload pictures to a review site, but it never presents me with the browse option to look for and attach the pictures. Other users of Chrome can't understand my problem, I've gone into advanced settings and checked that everything is as (I think) it should be but always have to use IE if I want to upload pictures. Any suggestions would be helpful as I would then at least have one less browser open.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Google Chrome won't let me upload pictures
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Google Chrome won't let me upload pictures
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
could you provide a URL ...
by Edward ODaniel / October 2, 2012 9:49 AM PDT

to a couple of these sites so we could see if we can duplicate your problem?

Does Firefox still function normally on the sites?

Collapse -
by thequeenofcurdsandcream / October 2, 2012 6:37 PM PDT

I write for Weekendnotes but I don't know if you could try to replicate as you need to be an approved writer to submit articles and upload pictures. I experienced the same problem when trying to submit a review to Tripadvisor, but again am loathe to provide the detailed URL as I wouldn't want somebody who isn't me trying to post a review. All I can tell you is that others who write for WNs use Chrome without the same problem. My daugher, who can usually fathom out problems, can't understand why I'm getting this one. When I googled the problem there were reports of others, but not recently, who had experienced the same thing.

I stopped using Firefox when I had a new hard drive fitted to my laptop a few week ago. For some reason when I reinstalled Firefox I was unable to gain access to my BTYahoo email account, so switched to Chrome.

Collapse -
New hard drive for laptop ...
by Edward ODaniel / October 4, 2012 8:11 AM PDT

that is some new information and makes me wonder if you have downloaded and installed java since the drive replacement. Try downloading and installing the latest (You can also try going to Start > Control Panel > Java > Advanced. Click Default Java for browsers, and ensure the "Mozilla family" checkbox. is checked)

You might even not be seeing a message bar within Chrome that says The Java plug-in needs your permission to run where you need to either select "run this time" or "always run ..."

Have you checked to see if you can upload files at places like

Try this link to report the issue -

All Answers

Collapse -
While we can check settings.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 2, 2012 3:01 AM PDT

I have Chrome and other browsers installed and use one or the other as it is needed. Are you writing there can be only one?

Collapse -
by thequeenofcurdsandcream / October 2, 2012 6:40 PM PDT

Hi Bob

You've been very helpful to me with previous problems. When I used Firefox I didn't bother with any other browser and I had expected Chrome to work in the same way. It would just be more convenient to do the same again now. I usually have several tabs open, without the need for two browsers as well.

Collapse -
Does it really matter?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 2, 2012 6:51 PM PDT

Switching to a different tab in the same browser is one click. Switching to a tab in another browser is one or two clicks.

If it works everywhere, except with you, something is wrong with your account or OS. Making a new account on the same machine is rather easy, but moving all your documents and settings is a sizable amount of work. Reloading the OS is even much more work.
Your really must upload a LOT of pictures to get the good ROI (return on investment) for such an action, considering how small the payback for each picture is (one mouseclick).

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.