Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Google Chrome vs. Firefox

by johnsonly / August 25, 2010 5:32 PM PDT

Which is more reliable and faster Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Google Chrome vs. Firefox
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Google Chrome vs. Firefox
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's been asked many times,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 25, 2010 9:31 PM PDT

and you will get a range of answers depending what users prefer.

Chrome appears to be faster.

Firefox appears to be more dependable as it has more add-ons that help prevent malware intrusions.

Mark

Collapse -
Firefox Vs Chrome
by femaleadvice / September 21, 2010 9:40 PM PDT

Chrome seems to be much faster - loading pages, starting up etc. I would use it over many other web browsers, however some pages still are not yet optimised for the Chrome browser, in particular it currently unable to run some Citrix Client Access sessions.

femaleadvice.com.au

Collapse -
And Since They're Both Free...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 26, 2010 1:07 AM PDT

...try downloading them both and then YOU tell US which one you think is faster and more reliable.. As with most products, it will a personal preference that only you can decide on.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Chrome vs. Firefox
by Maceman69 / August 26, 2010 8:44 PM PDT

I have used Firefox long time and it has worked fine.
When Chrome was released, I stared to use it as my main browser. It seems to be faster and there are not so many updates.
Chrome is better for small displays.

It depends what you need..

Maceman

Collapse -
Speed .vs. privacy....
by out_fisherman / August 29, 2010 6:21 AM PDT

While speed may be your primary concern, you
might at some point consider the privacy issue...
ever since it became public knowledge that Google
stores (forever, apparently) all sorts of information
regarding your searches, I have ran away from
anything 'Google'. While I don't have anything to
hide, just the thought of this outfit having their
own browser should make you question their objectives...

Unless and until I hear of Mozilla/Firefox having the
same privacy issues, I will stick with Firefox.

I searched for "Google privacy issues" with a
different search engine (Ixquick) and came up
with a few articles you might want to read....

http://www.google-watch.org/bigbro.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_and_privacy_issues#cite_note-reuters-54
http://coderrr.wordpress.com/2008/09/03/google-chrome-privacy-worse-than-you-think/

Your choice.

Collapse -
Quick thoughts
by Doh_1 / September 3, 2010 11:43 AM PDT

Yes, Chrome is faster, but speed isn't everything...for example, I can't use Chrome at work since I usually have 15 tabs or so open all the time, and if I was using Chrome I couldn't read what was on the tabs so it would be useless to me. Firefox has a scrolling tab bar, so you can always identify tabs. Links are underlined in Chrome, no way to turn that off if you care (I do *smile*). And there are various other more serious usability issues with Chrome that Firefox has dealt with nicely. Ad blocking is another one, where ads aren't really blocked on Chrome, they're removed after the fact...Firefox actually allows blocking them, so you don't see empty spaces where they would have been generally.

I think that you could summarize this situation by saying that Firefox creators care a good bit more about usability than Google ever has. Google focuses on getting something out, doesn't care a fig about usability issues.

-Roger

Collapse -
Chrome is fine
by richteral / September 3, 2010 8:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Quick thoughts

I think the concluding comment is unfair on Google. FF also has its issues, and I believe all those guys are working hard. In fact, I use Chrome for convenience, FF for added security, and that is about it. Both are good.

Collapse -
Chrome vs. FireFox
by gavrett8 / September 3, 2010 1:26 PM PDT

I tried Chrome but didn't like it. I will stick with Firefox. It is pretty fast and reliable and I like the addons you can get for it.

Collapse -
Forget firefox and chrome....
by murrayusa / September 4, 2010 2:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Chrome vs. FireFox

Use opera it is stable and fast. I have used it for years.

Collapse -
(NT) Reliable - Firefox, Fast - Chrome :D
by dexter_birdbrain / September 4, 2010 12:29 PM PDT
Collapse -
by julia_taylor / September 9, 2010 9:31 AM PDT

Chrome tabs are running on different threads, so if one of them hangs, the chrome itself doesn't hang. As for FireFox - all tabs are run on the same thread.

Collapse -
by stephentech / September 12, 2010 7:22 PM PDT

I use Firefox before and found that it launches very slowly. Then I try Chrome, which launches and opens web pages very fast.
In terms of reliability, currently Firefox does better than Chrome, as Firefox supports a lot of add-ons that keep Internet attacks away.

Collapse -
MF
by warrencharlot / September 20, 2010 12:38 PM PDT
In reply to: reply

Mozilla Firefox for me is more reliable. Especially with crash reports.

Collapse -
Mozilla Firefox
by warrencharlot / September 13, 2010 1:11 PM PDT

They might have the same speed but I like firefox better because most sites work better with it especially with certain plugins and applications

Collapse -
by nuesha / September 21, 2010 6:37 PM PDT

i used Google Chrome if i search cause GC- Google Chrome is more faster than firefox.

Collapse -
It depends
by ocmseo / September 22, 2010 9:00 PM PDT

For me it depends on how you use both browser. google chrome is more faster than firefox in terms of downloading text, but in the terms of downloading flash content, firefox is the best cause firefox has a plugin container unlike chrome.

Collapse -
It depends
by ocmseo / September 22, 2010 9:08 PM PDT

I prefer so say that comparing browser is depends on what you need. Both browser are fast, but the difference is what kind of fast? I like Chrome cause chrome is faster reading text compare to Firefox but in terms of downloading specially plug-ins in prefer to choose Firefox cause Firefox has plug-ins container unlike Google chrome

Collapse -
It is Firefox, of course.
by yellowballoon / September 29, 2010 3:43 PM PDT

Apple Safari is fastest but more reliable is Firefox.

cheers

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.