Computer Help forum

General discussion

Google chrome is acting weird

by LGuser78 / November 16, 2013 2:33 AM PST

I noticed a few days ago when I go on certain website (like this one) that some of the text at the top of pages or in boxes like send message or whatever it's blank. When you highlight it with your cursor it just shows a line. It's kinda hard to explain but it's really annoying.

So how do I fix this problem? Should I just update Google chrome or do something else?

Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Google chrome is acting weird
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Google chrome is acting weird
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Google writes how to report a bug.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2013 2:41 AM PST
Collapse -
RE
by LGuser78 / November 16, 2013 7:23 AM PST

I reported it and it gave me instructions on what to do. I tried it but it didn't fix the problem

It said to go into settings and then extensions and uncheck mark Allow in incognito but nothing worked.

Collapse -
Java
by MikeAanders / November 16, 2013 8:59 AM PST

Do you have the latest Java updates?

Collapse -
RE
by LGuser78 / November 16, 2013 1:10 PM PST
In reply to: Java

I just updated Java but that didn't work either.

Collapse -
RE
by LGuser78 / November 18, 2013 12:56 PM PST
In reply to: RE

I still need help with this. I thought it might go away on it's own but It's still doing it.

Collapse -
The other usual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 18, 2013 1:07 PM PST

Try another user account.
Uninstall Chrome and reinstall.

Sorry but the clues are not here. For example if you had supplied you installed Windows 7 and had to use the XP video driver I would have one of the answers. But the clues are sparse here.
Bob

Collapse -
RE
by LGuser78 / November 18, 2013 2:02 PM PST
In reply to: The other usual.

Yeah I forgot to mention I'm using Window's XP pro.

Collapse -
Sorry but I hope there's more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 18, 2013 2:06 PM PST

XP Pro without those service packs is problematic and I expect all sorts of troubles. On single core, Intel GMA, the limitations could stack up and you may see video issues.

If FireFox works I'd forget Chrome for now.
Bob

Collapse -
RE:
by LGuser78 / November 18, 2013 2:42 PM PST

I re-installed chrome and that didn't work either.

I don't like Firefox that's the reason why I'm using Chrome.

It's weird this was just sudden, it was fine one day and then the next it was like this.

Collapse -
It could be many things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 18, 2013 2:49 PM PST
In reply to: RE:

The clues are too slim but XP Pro is all I have. No machine make, model so I'm left without service packs, if someone accepted a driver from Microsoft and more.

If it did happen on a specific day, and given only this much detail I'd use System Restore to the day before the trouble.
Bob

Collapse -
This many posts so let's find out more about this computer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 18, 2013 3:29 PM PST

Try to tell make, model and story so you don't get the usual reload the OS answer. I can't find which Windows it is (XP Pro has no less than 4 variations) and the issue is pretty easy to create with the wrong video driver, setting to 256 colors, enabling remote desktop and a long list of other things that won't fit here.

While I might guess what's up, it's unlikely without more story.

System Restore side steps all this.
Bob

Collapse -
RE
by LGuser78 / November 18, 2013 4:57 PM PST

Hmmm not sure what that first response meant but my PC is a old SystemMax desktop. I have Avast anti-virus and Malwarebytes if that helps any.

I don't know what you mean by story . I kinda explained what happened a few replies ago.

I guess I'll just deal with it for the time being.

Collapse -
Please point out what happened for us.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 18, 2013 5:25 PM PST

I see symptoms, the issue, the effect but not what happened.

System Restore was mentioned and it's a quick way out when we can't undo what happened to cause this.
Bob

Collapse -
RE
by LGuser78 / November 19, 2013 1:54 AM PST

Not sure exactly when it happened but it was sudden.

Certain text don't show up on websites so you can't even read some pages or even know where click to go to another page because it's blank.

Collapse -
And if there are more details.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2013 1:58 AM PST

I would use those to head off in some direction. I can't find the make, model, video card, video settings, if there is some remote desktop app, Windows accessibility use and more.

That's the great thing about system restore. You don't have to find out what caused it. You just go back to the old settings.
Bob

Collapse -
RE
by LGuser78 / November 19, 2013 2:24 AM PST

Not sure how to find what video card I have or what video settings I got either.

I have ZumoCast that came with my Droid phone but I never use it.

Collapse -
XP is rather old.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2013 2:31 AM PST

I rarely write about how to set or find out video settings in XP as users tend to be well seasoned or use a web search such as "How do I set video settings on Windows XP."

This is a lot of posts and it's starting to sound like you are going to have to head to a repair counter.

I'm curious about System Restore. I see I noted it a few times but no word from you about that. Why not use the feature that could make this issue vanish?
Bob

Collapse -
XP is rather old
by LGuser78 / November 19, 2013 5:38 AM PST
In reply to: XP is rather old.

Yeah I could do a system reload but it's such a pain in the ***. I would have to save everything on my HD first then re upload them.

Unless there's a easier way to do a system reload.

Collapse -
System restore.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / November 19, 2013 5:45 AM PST
In reply to: XP is rather old

Are you confusing this with reinstall? System restore should not lose your files.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
I've used SR since about 2000
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2013 5:54 AM PST
In reply to: XP is rather old

And never lost my files. I wonder if you are confusing it with a factory restore?
Bob

PS. And on a side note. Why would this be a worry today? That is, a XP user would be well seasoned and always have a backup of what they can't lose. Right?

Collapse -
IRE;
by LGuser78 / November 19, 2013 2:02 PM PST

Yeah I'm talking about reformatting the HD. I don't think I have ever done a system restore on this PC.

I have no idea how to do it though if I'm going to do it.

Collapse -
System restore
by LGuser78 / November 19, 2013 2:41 PM PST
In reply to: IRE;

I just Googled how to do it and for some reason on my start menu I don't have stystem restore. All I have on the system tools is Internet Explorer (no add ons).

Collapse -
Here's a guide.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / November 20, 2013 1:43 AM PST
In reply to: System restore
Collapse -
RE
by LGuser78 / November 20, 2013 2:39 AM PST
In reply to: System restore

Yeah I did a search and found it on my PC.

I just got finished restoring and I thought I went back far enough but it still didn't work. I might try it again later and go back further.

If this doesn't work then I don't know what to do.

Collapse -
try this
by jimcary99 / November 20, 2013 3:12 AM PST

remove it and reinstall

Collapse -
RE
by LGuser78 / November 20, 2013 5:41 AM PST
In reply to: try this

Well I tried it again and went back farther and it still didn't work.

When I do a system restore it deletes chrome and I have to re-install it. So it's almost like resetting it every timne but not doing anything.

Do you mean uninstall system restore and re-install it then try again?

Collapse -
Don't...
by Dafydd Forum moderator / November 20, 2013 5:48 AM PST

... uninstall system restore! Seems this is not the fix. I didn't see if you tried any scans.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
RE
by LGuser78 / November 20, 2013 2:07 PM PST
In reply to: Don't...

No I haven't do any scan but Avast does automatic updates and is always protected.

For some reason I can't figure out how to uninstall system restore. I try to use my unstaller (2006) and it just won't let me do it. I'm I doing it wrong and do it a different way?

Collapse -
RE
by LGuser78 / November 23, 2013 3:08 AM PST

Should I just delete system restore and hope it installs when I reboot my PC?

I did scan my computer last night and it detected 4 threats but that didn't help either.

Collapse -
That's sad and bad.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2013 3:24 AM PST

Those threats since such can do damage in new and odd ways. I think we've gone through all the usual but it's starting to sound like a dinged up OS.

I scanned the discussion and can't seem to find where a new user account was tested.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.