Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps

General discussion

Google Chrome Dial-up Connection

by rgfitz / September 3, 2008 1:12 AM PDT

Clicking on the Google Chrome shortcut on my desktop doesn't start Dial-up connection and I get an error page typical of no connection being present. Once I am on-line, Chrome works fine.

The Mozilla Firefox shortcut starts Dial-up connection with no problem.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Google Chrome Dial-up Connection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Google Chrome Dial-up Connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Little support built in...
by John.Wilkinson / September 3, 2008 2:06 AM PDT

Chrome is designed around a bare-bones design for speed. It lacks 'basic' features, such as privacy controls, security controls, bookmark managers, search functionality, user plugins, ad blocking, cookie control, etc. It's fast and sleek, but that's about it. Personally, I would rather have Firefox 3.1 when it comes out later this year...its TraceMonkey implementation should bring it up to speed with Chrome without losing all of the functionality that's been standard for the past decade.

John

Collapse -
You may wand to give ...
by caktus / September 5, 2008 7:52 AM PDT
K-Meleon 1.5.0 a try. It too does not have the feature you are looking for. But after a few days or so of use it will begin rendering pages very fast. Been using it with my dialup connection and more often than not it is extremely fast. It can be used just fine with default settings or with add ons many of which have been adapted from FF add ons.

If you're a wee bit adventurous, there are some easy macro customizations that can be added, see the K-Meleon Macro Library

If you decide to give it a try, download the Full Package and during installation select to use the Loader.exe. The Loader.exe will make the browser it self open very fast. The Loader.exe is very necessary as KM doesn't automatically load a bunch of unnecessary services at startup to reduce resource usage to very little.

Also, they have an active forum dedicated to helping folks with virtually anything K-meleon.

BTW, I just installed this latest version little more that a week ago and so far it is the fastest version yet. In fact, right now my installation of KM is rendering pages nearly as fast as some broadband connections, like about 1-2 seconds. It is safe and secure and in the six months or so that I have been using KM browsers I have really put them through the wringer so to speak. While KM works quite differently than most browsers, it is designed strictly for speed. And I have never run into a problem that could not be easily over-come on my own or with help from the forum.

Charlie
Collapse -
Dial up connection upon chrome/firefox startup
by nixonau / January 23, 2009 2:12 AM PST

I'm using chrome with a dial up connection. It works just fine. Upon startup my modem dials up automatically. The key is to use a wireless connection through a wap to a gateway computer with the modem attached to it. Setup the computer with the dial up modem to use windows (ICS)internet connection sharing. It works really nice and google chrome will definitely speed up your internet browsing experience!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.