Computer Newbies

General discussion

google chrome browser overheats my laptop.help?

by bhas_K / August 21, 2013 11:13 PM PDT

my laptop specifications are
sony vaio, intel i5 processor

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: google chrome browser overheats my laptop.help?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: google chrome browser overheats my laptop.help?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just Chrome?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 21, 2013 11:21 PM PDT

Or all browsers?

How do you know this Chrome software is causing your laptop to overheat?

Mark

Collapse -
overheats
by bhas_K / August 21, 2013 11:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Just Chrome?

i am using chrome only. not tested with other browsers. when i started to browse with chrome its overheats my laptop. generally i have 15 to 20 tabs in my chrome.

Collapse -
15 to 20 tabs
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 22, 2013 12:16 AM PDT
In reply to: overheats

Multiple tabs wouldn't, on their own, cause overheating. They might take up RAM but if the web pages in each tab is inactive, then the processor would not normally be working excessively.

I assume you have some method of checking processor temperatures. I did ask how you knew the laptop was overheating but don't see any response to that.

If the web sites in the tabs are all active however, then the processor might be working harder than normal. Your Task Manager might help you identify what processes are using up processor time.

I imagine the test would be to reduce the tabs and see if the processor/laptop cools down. But that choice is yours of course.

On the other hand, viruses and other malware may be overworking the CPU, or even any Chrome add-ons, so two more avenues to investigate.

Mark

Collapse -
reducing add-ons
by bhas_K / August 22, 2013 1:03 AM PDT
In reply to: 15 to 20 tabs

just now i removed 15 add-ons. its better now.

you asked a question" How do you know this Chrome software is causing your laptop to overheat?".

answer is when i close the chrome browser the heat will gradually reduce and come back to normal thats how i found the heat issue.

Collapse -
Re: overheat
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 22, 2013 12:17 AM PDT
In reply to: overheats

Please tell the CPU-usage (from the processes tab taskmanager) of Chrome if you have 0,1,5,10 and 20 tabs open.
Can we assume that if you have 20 tabs open, 19 of them are just doing nothing? And one of them you're looking at a google result for example? Or do you view 20 different Youtube video's at the same time in those 20 tabs?

Also try exactly the same experiment (with the same 20 sites) in Firefox and Internet Explorer, even if you hate these programs. It's just an experiment.

Kees

Collapse -
Tell more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2013 1:29 AM PDT

What do you mean overheat? It is proper and right for a laptop to heat up with that many tabs open. But a laptop that overheats (we need to define that!) is defective. Or in need of canned air on the vents (maintenance.)

Chrome launches a process per tab so each core and hyperthread is deployed and the CPU can warm up (which is not overheating) and I'm encounter folk new to PCs that think because it's very warm on the surface it's overheating. These new users expected the laptop to stay at the temperature it was at, even under a work load.

Since Chrome does use the CPU to deliver the fastest possible browser, there is some debate if it should use all available CPU and RAM to deliver the fastest experience. You can see that at https://www.google.com/#fp=1&q=limit+chrome+from+using+cpu+cores&safe=off

So you have a choice to make now.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.