How To forum

Question

Google apps Share contacts

by chris_sundown13 / February 28, 2012 3:08 AM PST

How do I setup Google apps to share contacts among all users, not just company domain contacts but a universal inbox? We have a lot of outside contacts that everyone in the company needs to see. How do I set this up in Google apps?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Google apps Share contacts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Google apps Share contacts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Just checked.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2012 3:25 AM PST

What made you think that did this?

I don't see such a feature.
Bob

Collapse -
Shared contacts would make one think shared contacts
by chris_sundown13 / February 28, 2012 5:19 AM PST
In reply to: Just checked.

Shared contacts, contacts listed under the Google apps back-end.

Collapse -
Don't companies have there own address boxes?
by chris_sundown13 / February 28, 2012 5:21 AM PST

Don't companies have address books? Can Google apps share contacts?

Collapse -
So you reviewed this and ?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2012 5:23 AM PST
Collapse -
That only shares company emails not address books
by chris_sundown13 / February 28, 2012 5:38 AM PST

Yes I have reviewed that and all it does is share email addresses of those in your Google apps it dosen't share other contacts.

Collapse -
Yup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2012 7:25 AM PST

It's why I lead with why you thought it was a feature.

Collapse -
Global address book
by chris_sundown13 / February 28, 2012 10:00 PM PST
In reply to: Yup.

Most Businesses have a global contact list. When you see share contacts isn't that what one would naturally think? Is there a way to have a global address book in Google apps with out a payed extension?

Collapse -
Not here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 29, 2012 1:43 AM PST
In reply to: Global address book

That is, I didn't see it as a feature and while it looked possible to some I see you re-discovered this again.

I think you are seeing why many go back to Exchange Server.
Bob

Collapse -
Don't have exchange server
by chris_sundown13 / February 29, 2012 3:34 AM PST
In reply to: Not here.

We do not have an exchange server were just hoping to move from our web host to Google apps if we could get a global contacts list.

Collapse -
And there's your goals.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 29, 2012 3:45 AM PST

How you get there is the fun part. I did not find the feature you are looking for in Google Apps and shared that at the office we went back to Exchange Server.

Besides, we use the calendaring a lot.
Bob

Collapse -
Typo "There're your goals."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 29, 2012 3:53 AM PST

Anyhow, if you want to pursue the google apps then ask them if the paid versions do this.

Collapse -
How to contact Google
by chris_sundown13 / February 29, 2012 4:35 AM PST

What is the best way to ask Google? There support number asks for a pin unsure were to find that at.

Collapse -
Is there a confusion of terms here?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 29, 2012 4:43 AM PST
In reply to: How to contact Google

I'm just wondering if what you mean by "shared contacts" is different to what others mean.

You've already said that you know "The Google Apps Directory is a searchable list of the user names and email addresses in your domain that is shared with everyone in your organization".

What other contact information do you want to share?

Mark

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
"searchable list of the user names and email addresses in"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 29, 2012 4:45 AM PST

"searchable list of the user names and email addresses in your domain"

And there it is in one line. This app does not meet your requirement. As to how to contact google, Some think it's hard. It is indeed hard if you are asking about free stuff. When there is money on the line then they talk.

But again, this app does not meet your requirement.
Bob

Collapse -
email addresses in your domain
by chris_sundown13 / February 29, 2012 5:02 AM PST

"Shared Contacts" to me means all contacts can be shared through out the organization like Global contacts. It appears that the Google apps directory only shares those email addresses of your co-works (those with the same domain name).

Free would be good but I didn't say it had to be.

Collapse -
So you are looking for CRM?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 29, 2012 5:10 AM PST
Collapse -
Global contact list
by chris_sundown13 / February 29, 2012 11:57 AM PST

Most CRMs our like a ticketing system wich I do not need. I need a global contact list where all contacts I have and my boss have can be seen by anyone else in the company. I know this can be done by an exchange server wich we do not have plus at this stage of the small company would be over kill.

Collapse -
Which is why there is the SBS version.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2012 2:06 AM PST
In reply to: Global contact list
Collapse -
Answer
How to get Shared Contacts for Google Apps
by ScottMcKenzie_CloudLogic / March 4, 2012 6:14 PM PST

Google allows 3rd parties to write apps that do this using the Contact API.

There's a list of such 3rd party apps that plug-in to Google Apps in the Google Apps Marketplace, along with a ton of other useful add-ons such as CRM, project management etc

At Cloud Logic, we tend to recommend Floreysoft Shared Groups. Basically, this allows you to share any of your Contact groups in Google Apps with other people in the company and to let them have read-only access or edit ability. Once shared, the groups appears in their own Contacts and therefore can be synced to their smartphone (and Outlook if they're syncing that with Google Apps). And of course all the email addresses in the shared group will work in auto-complete when they start typing it in the To field in an email.

Collapse -
Answer
How to create a shared contacts list in Google Apps
by gouldtr / April 3, 2013 3:29 AM PDT

chris_sundown13 - The Global Address List in Google Apps supports external contacts, but there's no user interface for adding these contacts to the GAL.

So, you have to used Google's APIs to do this - https://developers.google.com/google-apps/domain-shared-contacts/

There are plenty of 3rd-party products that put a friendly user interface on this process (and do a lot more in terms of Google Apps management. email signatures, Drive policies, etc.)

FlashPanel is a free one - flashpanel.com

Collapse -
Thanks for the update.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2013 3:36 AM PDT

As this area changes quickly, today is over a year later. Let's start a new discussion as this thread is old and now closed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

Finding the best 360 camera

GoPro, Pixpro, or Ricoh?

You can spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on a 360-degree camera. We tested three of them to find out what kind of quality and ease of use you can expect at each price point.