Phones

General discussion

Good starter smartphone

by soccerman44 / November 12, 2007 3:20 PM PST

I'm looking for a well priced smartphone which has all the basic needs, calendar, email, speed (pref. 3G), qwerty, not too chunky size, and pref. ATT, i dont mind getting unlocked as long as if its not too expensive.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Good starter smartphone
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Good starter smartphone
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
suggestion
by birdmantd Forum moderator / November 12, 2007 8:02 PM PST

Take a look at the new Pantech Duo handset.

Collapse -
(NT) Is the 99 buck Centro in your list?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 12, 2007 10:48 PM PST
Collapse -
If you wish to stay with AT&T......
by jgvillan / November 13, 2007 4:19 AM PST

If you wish to stay with AT&T, here's a few suggestions...

Not that you need to, but I too just resighned with AT&T with the Treo 750. It runs Windows Mobile 5, with (hopefully) an ugrade to WM6. Got 3G connection, and it's REALLY fast...at least within the SF Bay Area. It's not too clunky, got the physical QWERTY keyboard, calendar...all that stuff. Only thing that I would watch out for is battery life. The OEM battery would last all day, but thats about it. If you so think about this...I would recommend an extended battery...but that would add just little more bulk to the phone...but not too bad. I'm loving my Treo...:)

The other that I would think of is the Pantech Duo. It's a small compact candy bar phone that would slide out one way to expose the number pad....slide it another way would open up the QWERTY keyboard. It's also 3G enabled, but since that I dont have it, I can't say anything beyond that. It runs WM6 though.

Then you have those made by HTC. The AT&T 8525 and the newer AT&T Tilt. Both are true PDA SmartPhones, but the Tilt has the advantage of having a 'tilt' screen for better viewing and comes with WM6, as the 8525 still comes with WM5...but can upgrade through HTC's web site. Both can get the job done, even with 3G, but you really do sacrafice in bulkiness.

If you like to unlock...there is the T-Mobile Wing. It's basically the same as the Cingular 8125, meaning that it has EDGE connection, instead of 3G, but has WM6. Also it is alittle slimmer than either 8525 or Tilt with a non-slip feel to the body.

Well, that's my two cents on what is out there. Good luck.

PS-as what you may find out reviews about the Treo 750, I don't experience those negatives on mine.

Collapse -
isn't centro from sprint?
by soccerman44 / November 13, 2007 10:37 AM PST

anyways, the pantech duo is nice, and i'll definitely consider it, but at that price, i might as well get the iphone. also the tilt is nice, but too nice for me. does anybody know if the pearl is a good choice? or any bb for that matter?

Collapse -
Yeah the Centro is from sprint but is sux neways
by ramboman5780 / November 13, 2007 2:45 PM PST

The centro's from sprint so it won't work on ATT (sprint is CDMA att is GSM). But the samsung blackjack is good for a starter smartphone (if you can find it). For a blackberry the RIM BlackBerry 8820 is awesome. Its got wifi. That means you can get internet from any hotspot in range without any cellular fees. The pearl is basically a smaller 8820 but without the wifi. It can play videos but not take them and the only catch is that the Pearl is known to have a lot of lemons (bad phones). And some people say it is pretty low in quality. It is your choice in the end. Good luck

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.