Laptops

General discussion

Good specs for a video editing and gaming laptop.

by Musician4Ever / December 22, 2005 10:11 AM PST

I'm thinking about this Dell Inspiron 9300 for about $1900. Here are the specs. I want to know if they are good specs for gaming, mulitmedia, video editing and etc.

Intel

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Good specs for a video editing and gaming laptop.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Good specs for a video editing and gaming laptop.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE:
by damasta55r / December 22, 2005 2:15 PM PST

Gaming- What games?

Multimedia-What kind?

Video Editing-Unless its heavy, high specs aren't really a necessity.

Roger

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) do not get dell! I had a 9300! And it is unreliable
by hijack masta 2 / December 23, 2005 2:00 AM PST
Collapse -
Multimedia machine and all around every where else.
by Musician4Ever / December 23, 2005 6:38 AM PST

I want it for games like half life 2 and doom 3, good ability to listen to music with great sounds, movies, video editing is probably light to medium amounts. Not that much. How were those specs i posted?

Collapse -
If you're satisfied with just being able to play
by damasta55r / December 23, 2005 7:22 AM PST

or do all of those things, but not at their maximum hardware requirements, than look at dell 9300, dell 6000, dell xps gen 2, dell xps m140, hp dv4000, hp dv8000z, etc... I can run those games on an x300, so those will all work. The thing is, you can't run it with AA, and other goodies.

Roger

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Get Alienware area 51-m 5700 then
by hijack masta 2 / December 23, 2005 8:49 AM PST
Collapse -
Simple Question
by Qosmio / December 23, 2005 11:06 AM PST

ive came across many customers with Alienware that seem to be very unhappy with the teck support and the overall proformance of there investment.it seems that many of the owners are doing there own repairs/taking apart there notebooks over the phone with the support staff of Alienware trying to make the fix.
Is this true and if so
why would you support Alienware for these actions?????????

Collapse -
Simple Question
by Toshiaki / December 23, 2005 2:19 PM PST
In reply to: Simple Question

i second Qosmio's post. alienwares will crumble before your eyes. they are perhaps the worst company to build laptops on clevos. i have many colleagues that owned alienwares and they all have the same problem with tech support and shipping times. the alienwares with the p4's will fry off the motherboard so avoiding it from overheating will be difficult.

Collapse -
I know these facts in refrence to alianware
by Qosmio / December 24, 2005 1:34 AM PST
In reply to: Simple Question

Thanks for your input Toshiaki yet the question was directed to hijack masta2.he sugested Alianware to a member.

Collapse -
I know these facts in refrence to alianware
by Toshiaki / December 24, 2005 2:55 AM PST

sorry. i was really sleepy last night and i forgot to click on hijack masta2's post to post my input.

Collapse -
Dell is losing it...
by magic83 / December 27, 2005 9:37 AM PST

Yeah, unfortunately I must agree. I have a Latitude d800 right now and it was nice at the beginning, didn't come with a cdburner though, and the Customer Service has really gone downhill. I really will never buy a dell (or a gateway, for a whole nother post) again.

I have been thinking about one of the new HP dv5000z (?) but I'm still unsure.

Collapse -
Good specs for a video editing and gaming laptop.
by Toshiaki / December 23, 2005 2:30 PM PST

the inspiron 9300 is a good deal for $1900. my sager 3880 runs on the specs posted below:

15.4" WUXGA LCD (1920x1200)
Intel Pentium M 2.0GHz
2048MB PC-4200 533MHz DDR2 Ram
128MB nVIDIA GeForce Go 6600
100GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
8x DVD+- with DVD+R DL (Lightscribe Enabled)
Microsoft Windows XP Professional (SP2)

it plays counter-strike: source all maxed out at native resolution smoothly with multiple applications running in the background. the inspiron 9300 that you're looking at has a superior gpu next to mine so it will perform better in games. it will play doom 3 very well and it can play half life 2 maxed out. just hope that you get the hitachi travelstar 7k100 for your hard drive instead of the seagate momentus 7200's.

Collapse -
great specs yet
by Qosmio / December 24, 2005 1:47 AM PST

the qosmio G25 cost a couple hundred more and you get much more.2-60gb=120 at 5400 converged in raid-0 giveing great speed as well as the Qosmio engine giveing the 17 inch screen perfection in graphics.great build that runs cool

Collapse -
Check the Acer Ferrari as well
by ihs97 / December 24, 2005 11:11 AM PST
In reply to: great specs yet

You may want to have a gander at the Acer Ferrari as well. It boasts some nice screen resolution for a 15.4", its very portable, and has great hardware specs for roughly the same price as the Dell. Plus, it just looks so much better than a Dell Happy

About the Qosmio, that laptop has a great monitor, but the cost is just ludicrious. They are terribly overpriced at $3000.00. Just look the other way, or wait a few months for the new dual-core processor laptops to arrive.

Collapse -
Toshiba Qosmio G25
by hijack masta 2 / December 24, 2005 11:17 AM PST

Ok The Acer Ferrari is a really good laptop with good specs, but I do not agree to your post, The toshiba qosmio has BEAST specs, the Acer Ferrari can't beat the specs, and the Toshiba Qosmio is not over 3000 you can get them for 1900 in the internet! Get it then! Yes I agree to Qosmio's post that Alienware does have a quality issue, but I was thinking about a budget(sorry!)

Collapse -
Where can you get it for that price?
by ihs97 / December 24, 2005 11:21 AM PST
In reply to: Toshiba Qosmio G25

I will agree with your statement if you can prove to me that its possible to get the Qosmio G25 for under $2k from a VERY RELIABLE vendor. Otherwise, its up to you to fork over $2k to some computech4cheap.com store.

Collapse -
RE:
by hijack masta 2 / December 24, 2005 12:03 PM PST

Okay is it my fault or did I see something wierd on a trusted site for the toshiba for 1900, sorry about that, but anyways, I searched and you can get the G15 or F25 for about 1500-1600 and I can find tons of those, I think the G15 is the better deal between those two because you can just upgrade the ram later! So buy G15 from techforless for 1514 plus tax and shipping, I don't think you can find a better deal than that, sorry about the information.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) or you can get one for 2000-2100, search pricegrabber
by hijack masta 2 / December 24, 2005 1:14 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) qosmio G25 sell for 2300.00 -----2600.00 since oct-05
by Qosmio / December 24, 2005 12:14 PM PST
Collapse -
not a bad price
by ihs97 / December 24, 2005 1:21 PM PST

It seems the going rate now from trusted stores is about $2500.00. Not too shabby, but I still don't think its worth 500 dollars more than the Ferrari. The graphics cards are equivalent to each other (x700 in the ferrari, and a 6600 Go in the G25), the only pluses i see to the Qosmio are 20gigs more HD space, and a 17" screen. But, depending on the OP's needs, a 17" laptop is a good choice for a desktop replacement, but if you want to go mobile, that 10 lb. 17incher can be a bit cumbersome.

Collapse -
great price
by Qosmio / December 25, 2005 12:30 AM PST
In reply to: not a bad price

owning a qosmio im not trying to push it on anyone.the qosmio just offers more. screen perfection/sound/raid-0 strip/ better graphics-thanks to toshiba,s qosmio engine as well as style.compare all the specs as you will see my point.
MERRY CHRISTMAS & A HAPPY NEW YEAR!! CNET memebers and Guest

Collapse -
great price
by Toshiaki / December 25, 2005 5:42 AM PST
In reply to: great price

the toshiba qosmio in my opinion and many of my colleagues on the fabled www.notebookforums.com is drastically overpriced for a notebook of its caliber. the screen is only a wxga, which is hardly good enough for video editing or crisp graphics for gaming. you won't see it playing doom 3 anytime soon. the gpu is also a nvidia 6600, which is hardly worth the large sum of money the user is paying for. its better to find a notebook with the 256mb mr x700 or higher like the nvidia 6800 found on the inspiron 9300 like the musician4ever suggested. the reason why the nvidia 6600 is on the qosmio is because it is a low cost gpu to render graphics on a standard resolution wxga screen. the two 60gb 5400rpm hard drives in raid 0 on the qosmio will never stand up in performance to the 100gb 7200rpm hitachi travelstar 7k100 found on the inspiron 9300. the 7k100 is the best performing notebook hard drive on the market as of now, the seagate momentus 7200 as the second best performing. the 60gb hard drives on the qosmio are probably going to be made by a less performing manufacturer like toshiba or samsung. the only good about them is that they total up to 20gb more space than the 7k100, but remember, all hard drives when partitioned and used by windows lose ~7% of its actual space. the audio card on the qosmio is a bit obsolete; the AC '97 is falling into the shadows in the presence of the azalia multi channels that are becoming standard on most laptops now, such as my sager. as for the "qosmio engine," it is a good passive feature of the qosmio but it enhances the screen's quality passively by taking advantage of the high 400:1 contrast ratio and brightness of the screen to produce crisper images. but a wuxga can still smoke the qosmio's screen with or without the "qosmio engine." lastly, about the cpu and ram, the 2.0ghz pm is good, but i could be better for the system's price. once a laptop price goes over $2500, this being the total price after tax and shipping, it must have 2gb of ram or the deal isn't worth it. there are a handful of 17 inchers that are worth the price. www.notebookforums.com is the home of the geekiest of geeks and they will be more than willing to lend you a hand in shopping providing that you give them the guidelines of what you want in a laptop and your spending budget. i'm also an active member on that forums so drop by and pm me if you need more help musician4ever.

Collapse -
ouch you hurt your self on this one
by Qosmio / December 25, 2005 6:52 AM PST
In reply to: great price

your colleagues as well as your self are wrong.you should not be in the fourms with no clue of what your talking about.you may want to go to the cnet review of the qosmio G25 also taking a glance at owner reviews before you put your self out there.cnet gives it a 8.1 as well as 34 user reviews giveing it a average of 8.0
P.S doom3 rocks on this notebook as you will find out getting the facts from the cnet review.
Good luck

Collapse -
I must agree with cnet on these ratings
by Qosmio / December 25, 2005 7:48 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.