Internet Service Providers forum

Question

Good site to test DSL speed on PC

by Big Steve / March 8, 2013 11:13 PM PST
What's a good website to go to and test my computer's DSL speed? My laptop is a Dell Vostro 1510 and it's OS is Windows Vista Premium 32 bit; my ISP is AT&T and I currently have AT&T's Extreme 6.0 which is supposed to be AT&T's fastest DSL speed unless I switch to one of their Uverse plans.
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Good site to test DSL speed on PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Good site to test DSL speed on PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
speedtest.net
by sunwatcher / March 8, 2013 11:23 PM PST
Collapse -
Re: speedtest.net
by Big Steve / March 9, 2013 12:05 AM PST
In reply to: speedtest.net

Thanks for the info. I just performed a speed test at that site and here are the test results:

5.93 Mbps download - 6.00 Mbps is listed on AT&T.com as the download speed for Xtreme 6.0
0.43 Mbps upload speed - 512 Kbps is listed on AT&T.com as the upload speed for Xtreme 6.0
105 ms ping(?) was also listed on Speedtest.net in my test results
Speedtest.net's grade for my AT&T Xtreme 6.0 - "D"
Speedtest.net also said - my Xtreme 6.0 was slower than 72% of the USA
AT&T's monthly charge for my Xtreme 6.0 DSL - $42.95
There was an ad on Speedtest.net's website by a vendor claiming they could increase my speed; see below
Vendor's website - SpeedyPC Pro; I didn't try it and wouldn't try it until I checked here on CNET first.

Big Steve
03/09/13

Collapse -
Re: speedtest
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 9, 2013 12:40 AM PST
In reply to: Re: speedtest.net

5.93 when 6.0 is advertised is exceptionally well.

42.95 for 6.0 download speed is expensive, compared with what I have here in the Netherlands: 20 euro (that's 27 dollars) for 20.0 effective speed. But I think it's a common tariff in the USA.

Don't trust those speed-up programs/

Kees

Collapse -
by Big Steve / March 9, 2013 1:27 AM PST
In reply to: Re: speedtest

Kees_B:

I have read that the USA has some of the most expensive monthly rates for broadband service in the world; Europe is much cheaper. AT&T is trying to get me to switch from my current Xtreme 6.0 DSL to their U-Verse Max service. U-Verse Max is rated at 12.0 Mbps and currently costs $51.00 a month.

AT&T said they would discount that $51.00 a month charge down to $39.95 a month for a one year trial then that $39.95 monthly charge would go back to whatever the charge is at the end of one year but I would have to purchase a different modem from AT&T; somethng called a gateway device to be able to use their U-Verse service. The U-Verse gateway device costs $100.00 USD. I'm staying with DSL for now until I can figure out why this laptop which I do spend a lot of time on surfing the web is running so slow.

Big Steve
03/09/13

Collapse -
by Big Steve / March 9, 2013 2:36 AM PST

Kees_B:

Is my DSL's Xtreme 6.0 upload speed good or not? --------> 0.43 Mbps
How many Kbps is 0.43 Mbps? AT&T's website says my Xtreme 6.0's upload speed should be 512 Kbps.

Collapse -
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 9, 2013 2:40 AM PST

1 Mb is 1000 kb. So .43 Mb = 430 kb. That's close enough to what you pay for to be very happy with it. Not a single reason to complain with them.

Kees

Collapse -
by Big Steve / March 9, 2013 8:23 AM PST
Kees_B:

So according to that speed test my computer's DSL speed is pretty good so obviously something else inside of this laptop is causing it to run so slow. I remember staying at a nice Marriott hotel in Houston, Texas after Hurricane Katrina because I was under a mandatory evacuation order to evacuate from my location here on the Mississippi gulf coast; that hotel had free internet; it was so fast; that was the first time I got to sample high speed internet.

I remember the night auditor at the hotel telling me their internet service was satellite. It must have been because every morning when I would sign in to my computer in my room; I was at my homepage within seconds and anything else I typed into the search bar on that homepage and hit enter took me to that destination in seconds. It was lightning fast whatever kind of internet service it was and I wish I had that kind of speed here.

Big Steve
03/09/13
Collapse -
Answer
Re: speed test
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 8, 2013 11:26 PM PST

Potentially the best one is the one offered by AT&T - if they have one - , because it doesn't get hindered by slower speed on the non-AT&T parts of the Internet involved by using another site.

Just try a few you find. You'll find that not only running different tests will give different results, but also running the same test at different times and even running the same test twice right behind each other.
I remember having read our CNET test isn't good at high speeds.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: speed test
by Big Steve / March 9, 2013 12:10 AM PST
In reply to: Re: speed test

I just went to AT&T again; I finally found the page on their site to test my DSL speed but the page on AT&T.com was down; AT&T referred me to Speedtest.net.

Collapse -
Speed test
by tinamishra / March 10, 2013 11:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: speed test

Speed test help you to know about the speed of internet and it shows the results for downloading and uploading which helps you to know the speed in kbps or mbps.This check accurately measures information measure and is a digital subscriber line speed check and Cable electronic equipment Speed check to assist guests troubleshoot and find information measure problems.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.