Spyware, Viruses, & Security

General discussion

Good popup guard?

by mej / May 19, 2005 10:49 AM PDT

I have a W98SE/IE6, 128RAM, with Yahoo DSL. I installed Yahoo's pop-up guard (doesn't seem to be too effective). Currently have installed Zone Alarm firewall, Ad-AwareSE, and McAfee virus scan. What popup guard would do a good job? Preferably free and not take up a lot of resources? Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Good popup guard?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Good popup guard?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I use the one that comes with the Google
by roddy32 / May 19, 2005 11:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Good popup guard?

Toolbar which takes very little resources, although I have XP and this computer does not have a resouce problem because it is pretty new. There are many others available though but of all the ones I've tried, I prefer the google one.

Collapse -
I use
by PudgyOne / May 19, 2005 6:58 PM PDT

I use google toolbar and yahoo's toolbar. Combined, I have never seen another pop up

Collapse -
Google
by auggief / May 19, 2005 8:19 PM PDT

Totally agree. Download and install Google Toolbar. I have no pop ups.

Collapse -
one word....
by dyspyzthespyz / May 20, 2005 12:19 AM PDT

Firefox....http://www.mozilla.org/
''Popup Blocking
Stop annoying popup ads in their tracks with Firefox's built in popup blocker. ''.....
more info here from a and not from mozilla trying to just get you to download their product. I've been using it for a long, long time and am more the satisfied! use it to do most of your general browsing, you love and notice the decrease in crapware downloading on your system without your knowledge or permission due to IE vuneralbilities ......http://littleeagle.us/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=33

Collapse -
For the most part
by William Randall / May 20, 2005 3:36 AM PDT
In reply to: one word....

I agree mostly about Firefox/Mozilla, but I'd LOVE for someone to tell me how I can block "a.tribalfusion.com" INCESSANT pop-up when clicking on many drudgereport.com news links.

And, yes, I've put in every variation I can think of to STOP this IN Firefox.

No worky.

Collapse -
Drudge
by auggief / May 20, 2005 6:18 AM PDT
In reply to: For the most part

I read Drudge daily and using Google tool bar don't get this popup.

Collapse -
Thanks auggief, I've been loathe
by William Randall / May 21, 2005 2:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Drudge

to add a toolbar which likely takes up more real estate in my browser window. I may check it out, but I'd almost rather right click and delete than have to put up with the removal of useable space in my browser window.

Collapse -
no thanks if it does not work with Firefox
by William Randall / May 21, 2005 2:28 AM PDT

Google Toolbar
Integrates with Internet Explorer's toolbar.

via google search

Collapse -
Try Opera (Free Version) ..
by Jake Barnes / June 1, 2005 12:06 AM PDT

I downloaded Opera (Free) for some of these sites. I just went to Drudge and Opera blocked all of the pop-ups.
I use Firefox most of the time, but Opera is fun too.

Collapse -
Thanks Jake, I've been using Opera for drudgereport.com for
by William Randall / June 4, 2005 4:53 AM PDT

this very reason. Happy

Collapse -
no good
by William Randall / May 21, 2005 2:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Drudge

OK, I had to uninstall Netscape 8, which I really don't use, in order to install this google toolbar in Firefox.

Unless you can tell me how to tweak this, I STILL get a.tribalfusion popup window at drudgereport.com

And, of course, I have the real-estate hog of a toolbar now in my Firefox.

Not exactly a happy camper here.

Collapse -
In addition...
by William Randall / May 21, 2005 3:03 AM PDT
In reply to: no good

I got a new popup I'd never received before. I've uninstalled this entirely useless extension from my Firefox.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks for your attempt at helping auggief :)
by William Randall / May 21, 2005 3:04 AM PDT
In reply to: In addition...
Collapse -
Firefox is your answer
by pearlyvictoria / May 27, 2005 2:27 AM PDT

I agree. I have never had such an easy time on the Internet. Firefox is your best answer for pop-ups and if you are on a Mac, Camino by Mozilla works great.

Collapse -
firefox?
by computab / May 27, 2005 3:06 AM PDT

Would that Firefox was a good alternative to internet Explorer, but it is not, it doesn't work on some websites, especially banking. On other websites, it has missing bits.

Collapse -
ok, one last resort
by dyspyzthespyz / May 21, 2005 5:21 AM PDT

go here and test and see which one are common to your current browser and suggestions for free and paid for services....http://www.popuptest.com/

Collapse -
Antispyware
by aschumm / May 27, 2005 2:40 AM PDT

Have you tried Microsoft's Antispyware (Beta)? Does a pretty good job.

Nothing's perfect, but it may be worth a try.

ASchumm

Collapse -
Pop up blocker
by DebsSweet / May 27, 2005 4:48 AM PDT

AOL 9.0 Security Edition SE does a brilliant job of blocking all popups!

Collapse -
pop up blocker
by vikkie / May 27, 2005 1:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Pop up blocker

i use NoAds
simple that even a beginner in computers can use it
small, ez download
works beautifull
doesnt fight with firewall
i have xp office

its so nice, just be carefull what you block. block the wrong ads, and go back and delete and start over again. other than that, couldnt ask for one that works better.

Collapse -
Panicware
by GBTrevor / May 27, 2005 5:18 AM PDT

In the Win 98 days I used to use Pop-Up Stopper Free by Panicware.
Sat nicely on the task bar, couple of clicks to turn it on or off and used hardly any resources.

Collapse -
Panicware in Win2K
by Pegs56 / May 27, 2005 6:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Panicware

Been using their PopUpStopper for a few years now & no problemo.

Downside is when deliberately clicking a javascript secondary window, the program thinks it's a popup & stops it. Workaround is to hold down the CTRL key while clicking on the link. Still preferable to 25 popups in a row, esp. since most leave 'presents' behind on you PC.

Collapse -
Use Panicware on all my comps...
by dltdat / May 28, 2005 10:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Panicware in Win2K

Never had a persistant pop-up get by it yet, and it works for me. Also it's free, and free is always a good thing on tight budgets.

Collapse -
Whoops...
by dltdat / May 28, 2005 10:14 PM PDT
Collapse -
PanicWare PopUp Stopper (Free Edition)
by DrMicro / May 30, 2005 12:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Panicware

Still works fine in Windows ME and Win2K. I haven't tried it yet with Windows XP, but based on it working fine in Win2K, I would expect it to work equally well. It just sits in your taskbar and doesn't add a toolbar to your browser. It is, however, mainly a tool for Internet Explorer. As far as I know, it does not support Firefox, though I haven't tried it with Firefox yet. I'm running the free version 3.1.
You can download the latest version (free and paid) from http://www.panicware.com

James S.
Doctor Micro, Inc.

Collapse -
Two options to block pop-ups
by marcnz / May 27, 2005 7:50 AM PDT

Hi,
You have mainly all the answers in this thread already.
My advise is that if you really need to use Microsoft Internet Explorer, install the Google Toolbar, which is free (http://toolbar.google.com) and does an amazing job. It lets you decide to allow pop-ups for a specific web site with a click of a button.
The other alternative, which will keep your computer safer, is to use an alternative browser. Mozilla Firefox (http://www.mozilla.org/) is one of them and is growing in popularity. I also like Opera (http://opera.com/download/). Both have built-in pop-up blocker. Opera needs to have it checked in the settings, while Firefox has it checked by default.
Cheers,
Marc

Collapse -
Get Stopzilla Ver. 3.1 ($19.95), On Line
by Airbus300 / May 27, 2005 10:51 PM PDT

I use this and it blocks nearly ALL nuisance pop-ups.
You won't be sorry for $19.95, really. Free continuous program updates, too. I love it.

Collapse -
Stopzilla
by JustmeFaron / May 30, 2005 12:28 PM PDT

I also suggest this program it works great! I visit a lot of sites that are loaded with pop-ups and this is the only program that stops at laeast 95% or more of them. You will be satisfied.
Good luck!

Collapse -
Google
by mr_djamigos / May 27, 2005 11:24 PM PDT

Google's search toolbar has popup blocker and used with explorer's (built-in) I rarely see popups.

Collapse -
MOZILLA FIREFOX IS YOUR SOLUTION!!!
by Cnet_Jin / May 28, 2005 3:57 AM PDT

I've had same problems with Internet Explorer. No matter what Blocker i used, some got through.

Then i downloaded Mozilla Firefox, and the browser itself blocks pop up adds. Firefox is by far the best browser, with the most features and and the most simple design templates. They even have Ad-Blocker (you have to download this small finleseperately from firefox website), which lets you block advertisements. And by far, Firefox is FASTER that Internet Explorer

Go to www.google.com and search Mozilla Firefox. YOU WONT BE DISSAPOINTED!!!

Hope this helps

-Jin

Collapse -
Difference of opinion
by flashspeed119 / May 28, 2005 5:23 AM PDT

I have the same OS, amt. of RAM, and firewall as you except I have cable instead of DSL, and AVG 7.0 as my virus blocker(which I am very content with). All are free. The only program I have bought in 6 years for my Dell is Ace Utilites, which picks up any stray problems that might arise in the Registry, junk files, invalid shortcuts, and empty folders.
What I don't understand is why you feel Yahoo's pop-up blocker ...doesn't seem to be too effective...
I find it 100% effective in blocking any and all pop-ups that come along...so much so that I have to go to 'Recently blocked pop-ups' to access a link I need.
Interesting.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.