PC Applications

General discussion

Good photo editing software anyone?

by meeah2005 / August 5, 2005 12:07 AM PDT

Hello. I need to know where I can find a good photo editing program. Something thats not too hard to use but I would like something thats not too basic either. You can find those anywhere on the net but something to give me more control. I am running windows XP media center. A brand new computer. I dont want to have multiple programs on my computer that i rarely use.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Good photo editing software anyone?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Good photo editing software anyone?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I use Paint Shop Pro 8.0
by glb613 / August 5, 2005 3:45 AM PDT
Collapse -
Photo Editing
by Stan Chambers / August 5, 2005 9:06 AM PDT

I'm semi not pro when it comes to photo editing. Adobe makes some very good software for editing.
They all seems to have some of the same basic features. I have an old version of Adobe Photo Deluxe 4.0 which I seem to migrate back to. I've tried Adobe Elements, and its a very good program, but the learning curve is a little steep for an amaeur like myself.
If you're a real pro, the Adobe PhotoShop is for you.
Best of Luck

Collapse -
Unfortunately
by Alan Copeland / August 5, 2005 10:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Photo Editing

Adobe has abandoned the home market and I don't believe Photo Deluxe is available any longer. My first scanner had V 2.0 and my last one had 4.0. You are right, it is great software.

Collapse -
elements
by briegull / August 11, 2005 10:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Unfortunately

How can you say Adobe's abandoned the home market when Elements is out there, cheap and easy to use. I'm NOT talking about earlier versions of Elements, but PSE3. It has almost all the bells and whistles of all but the latest Photoshop and also what has evolved from a clunky file management system to a very good one.

I go way back with using graphic design programs as PART of my work - I was not a graphic designer but I edited publications with illustrations, etc. I used Photoshop for years starting with v. 1 or 2. It's still the gold standard to create elaborate professional graphics,color separations for printing, etc. But when I retired I was stuck. The versions of Elements up until 3 left a lot to be desired, and the early versions of Album were really pretty bad. But these days I rarely fire up Photoshop (v.7) and use Elements almost daily.

UNLESS you are a full-time graphic designer or the like, if you want to quickly improve your digital photos, create fliers, graphic web pages, and the like... if you are a fairly sophisticated home user, buy Elements. Subscribe to the About graphics software site and read Chastain's marvelous tutorials. And you'll be happy. (I am not connected to any of the above except as a user)

And please don't try to review software based on the programs that "came with my scanner" for free!

Collapse -
Check out this review
by Brakford / August 11, 2005 10:48 PM PDT
In reply to: elements
Collapse -
Adobe Photoshop
by WilliamKazak / August 11, 2005 11:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Check out this review

Adobe Photoshop is king of the hill.
You can get on the hill by purchasing and learning Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.
It is much cheaper and easier to learn.
Later,when you wnt to be king of the hill,you can purchase and learn full blown Photoshop.

Collapse -
Will it picture-size to specifications?
by 3cpmoore / August 12, 2005 1:29 AM PDT

I?m a novice picture editor running XP Pro, and need something that will allow me to ?fit?
pictures to size. By that I mean, I have a batch of photos that very in dimensions, but that fit
together as a set, and want to size them all to the same dimensions (ie. 4X5, or 5X6, etc.), while
of course, maintaining continuity. I understand the high-end Photoshop programs will do that,
but am wondering if it can be accomplished with Elements3 or some other, easier to use
program,. Anybody?

Collapse -
Try Irfanview
by KathrynB / August 12, 2005 4:51 AM PDT

Irfanview has batch conversion capabilities for cropping, resizing, color depth, overlay text, etc. if you choose advanced settings in the conversion menus. Best of all... it free!

Collapse -
Thanks
by 3cpmoore / August 16, 2005 8:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Try Irfanview

Downloaded it and will give a try.

Collapse -
Don't criticise until you try it.
by Stan Chambers / August 31, 2005 3:22 PM PDT

I used both and Photo deluxe 4.0 is only one step down from Elements, and has many of the same features.

Collapse -
Have a Look at PhotoImpact
by colindarby / August 5, 2005 9:23 AM PDT

Suggest you have a browse and look at ''Ulead PhotoImpact Ver. 10''.
Suggest you download and try the ver. 10 ''Trial'' version

The URL is
http://www.asiapac.ulead.com/pi/runme.htm

Click within this page on ''Reviews and Awards'' and "Comparisons"
I have been using PhotoImpact for a number of years and I feel it is as good as Photoshop.
Price is $89.99USD [download price].
Updates are free for current versions and the ''Updates to New Versions'' are only $49.99USD [download price].
Now also do a search with Google for
PhotoImpact 10 reviews

Collapse -
Photo editing software
by Silvertop / August 11, 2005 9:13 PM PDT

Nero has a program called PhotoSnap which is included in their Ultra package. I find it to be easy to use and very effective to edit/enhance my pictures. Of course you have to get the software from them at http://www.ahead.de/us/products.html

Collapse -
PhotoPlus
by Uncle Bob / August 11, 2005 9:24 PM PDT

Serif PhotoPlus is the nearest thing I've found to Adobe Photoshop designed for the home user, at a tiny fraction of the price and much more user friendly. Check out www.Serif.com

Collapse -
try photoplus 6 free
by samgrove / August 12, 2005 1:48 AM PDT
In reply to: PhotoPlus
Collapse -
Photo software
by JJannetta / August 11, 2005 9:24 PM PDT

One I use is pretty good. I find I can do most things with it and tend to use the clone facility for touching up and special effects.
It's called Iphoto Plus

Collapse -
Photo editing software
by golfixer / August 11, 2005 9:47 PM PDT

Paint Shop Pro v9 is the "second best" out there only surpassed by Photoshop. The learning curve is not as steep, the price is 1/7th of PS, anything you learn will easily transfer to PS later, a gazillion tutorials out there free for you to use, and a "user group" "buddy system" which is outstanding. I have been a "buddy" to 22 newbies for about a year to answer any problems they run into. It has been purchased by Corel but can still be purchased from http://www.jasc.com .... for about $100 you can't go wrong and you will never regret it if you take the time to learn it.

Collapse -
Photo editing software
by mousewiz / August 11, 2005 10:06 PM PDT

I have tried many,but I always come back to Kodak Easy share.I think it is the easiest and the best with all the features(but a professional)would want.

Collapse -
Good photo editing software anyone
by samsey2 / August 11, 2005 10:23 PM PDT

Hello Meeah:
I love photo editing, just as an amateur + amateur photographer (using a digital Fuji4.7M + recently bought Easyshare Kodak 6.1M)
I feel quite overwhelmed using Photoshop... too much to learn :o)
I use ACDsee Photo Canvas and am absolutely happy with it.
If you like to see some of the pix I've cooked up, let me know.
Sam-Ottawa Canada

Collapse -
I'd like to see your cool pics
by mustang3 / August 12, 2005 12:02 AM PDT

And get more information about ACDCee?? I use a canon powershot and I love my kodak easy share I got from Ebay. I am a very new photographer. I am also 53 years old and need a more simple approach to photo editing but I want to do more that red eye reduction. I would like to find a good program that I could download and also scan photos into, And be able to find them easily. That is not a joke. I have scanned in some photos and looked everywhere and I can't find the darn things anywhere.

Collapse -
Good photo editing software
by mooseantlers / August 11, 2005 10:42 PM PDT

I happen to agree with golfixer. Paint Shop Pro 9 [JASC/Corel] is pretty good. The user-group is excellent.
FYI: Paint Shop Pro X is due to be released in September.

Collapse -
Photo editing software
by Richards / August 11, 2005 10:53 PM PDT

I would suggest the Photoshop Elements. I think that this software responds to the request.
Richard

Collapse -
Cheap and dirty Photo editing.....
by Mark0 - Technologist / August 11, 2005 11:32 PM PDT

Instead of buying another software application, why not use what might already be on your computer?

The complexity of your photo editing software does not always relate to the cost of it. Over the years I've taken 1000's of digital photos and find that most of the time my editing needs boil down to a few simple things: color adjustment, cropping/resizing and removing or fixing "red eye" or other dislikeable portions of the picture.

I'd first recommend the software that came with your camera. From personal experience with the Canons, the "canon" branded software (Zoombrowser) is very easy to use and covers most of my photo editing needs. "Arcsoft" photo editing software is a bit harder to use, but is free and was also bundled with my camera.

If your computer was bundled with the Microsoft "works suite", you may already have access to Microsofts "Picture editor" (install option with Word) and "Picture It". The latter software is very easy to use (suggested for beginers) and may of come free with your computer.

Collapse -
Photo Editing Software
by lklospi / August 12, 2005 12:40 AM PDT

I am definitely no expert, but/and have found that Microsoft Photo Editor from my OLD MS Office suite (I've seen comments to the effect that the new s/w is pretty much useless for photo editing) does a very good job for me. Adjusting brightness, contrast and "Gamma" manually usually produces excellent results, even from questionable files, but it also allows one to adjust individual colors, sharpness, etc. Paint Shop Pro seems like it should be learnable, but I haven't yet.

Collapse -
Give this one a try.
by jimbrem / August 12, 2005 1:12 AM PDT

Picasa2 in down loadable at no cost. It is one of the best I have found. Check out support at:

http://picasa.google.com/support/

If you need more control, I'd recommend Elements 2.
But you have to put a little time into it.

Collapse -
Photo editing software
by mplsbill / August 12, 2005 1:28 AM PDT

I have had the same problem as you, too many photo editing software programs that I don't use, and deciding what to keep and what to get rid of!
I have used microsofts digital imaging [older versions]
and was not impressed! I'm told version 10 is the best they have ever done, so I wouldn't count them out! I have Roxio easy media creator with photosuite on it, and I'm told it's a good alternative to the agreed #1 application adobe photoshop, however it's not the easiest interface to use or figure out unless you really know your stuff, and I don't! I've also used numerous others not even worth mentioning, but my favorite, [ironically] is a free program that I downloaded off googles website called picassa. I'm so impressed with this program, its easy to use, easy to understand, it gives you all the options that the expensive programs give you, [along with some original ideas that the pay programs don't even have] and it's free! How can you beat that? I'd highly reccomend you try this program, I don't think you'll be sorry, but if you are you can easily uninstall it, and be done with it! I'd love to know if you or others feel the same way I do about this program. It may not be enough for someone whose life revolves around photography, but I have yet to hear anybody say that this is anything other than "one of the best free programs out there" and that picassa is [for the average photo taker
a terrific program that does most everthing that the expensive programs you buy in pc stores does.

Collapse -
PaintShop Pro
by bfisher / August 12, 2005 1:39 AM PDT

PaintShop Pro is my choice. I find it fairly easy to use for simple photo editing and it is capable of going far beyond that. In addition, there are many support sites and tutorials available - a big plus in my book!

Collapse -
This one has "Basic Mode" -ideal for beginners
by grannyQ / August 12, 2005 2:27 AM PDT

Hi. I recently purchased Photo Impact Pro Version 10, "The Complete Digital Photography and Image Editing Suite". It has two modes, Basic and Pro, a video tutorial with 10 lessons and great tech support. Looks like it'll do everything short of cleaning your house! I needed an easier learning curve, so I like the Basic Mode to get going with. Many great answers to your question, guess it all boils down to your personal preferrences. Best of luck!
GrannyQ

Collapse -
Photo Editing
by tdrv / August 12, 2005 2:50 AM PDT

Try Picasa2. Program is free and offered by Google.

I used it for about one month now and I really like it.

Collapse -
Good Photo editing software
by lrivas1 / August 12, 2005 5:55 AM PDT

I found that Adobe Photoshop Elements will meet your criteria. I use it with all my digital photos and they provide functions that are automatic (ex: auto color correction, auto contrast, red eye removal, etc.) and others that require more manual manipulation (ex: removing unwanted background, or removing unwanted wringles, etc.).

The price is reasonable and it is possible to buy a student copy with all the features and save more if you can provide proof. My version came with a free copy of Adobe Photo Album which allows you to classify and store your photos, etc.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.