Desktops forum

General discussion

Good PC for Photoshop

by aharton / October 11, 2006 9:44 PM PDT

I am suddenly in the market for a new pc. The most demanding requirement of the system will be Photoshop, but it will be used some for games also.
I had good luck with Dell 6 years ago but it finally died.
I am thinking dual core, at least 2 gig of ram, video card with 256meg of memory, maybe 2 hard drives (one for photoshop scratch file use - no idea how to set that set-up!).
What can you guys suggest that is not going to break the bank?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Good PC for Photoshop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Good PC for Photoshop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Today's machines will be nice compared to
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 11, 2006 10:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Good PC for Photoshop

What was 6 years ago.

But since it's Photoshop use, what are you going to do about color calibration? Or do you have that device already?

That video card looks to be maximum overkill for Photoshop. 3D cards are for gamers. We have a video/photo edit work station and it's video card is a paltry 4MB. No games there, just work work...

Collapse -
you need to set a budget
by ramarc / October 11, 2006 11:50 PM PDT

and what type of games do you plan on playing?

here's a system from dell for $1,211:
Dimension E520
Intel Core2Duo E6400 OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows

Collapse -
I'd also add the Dell 20 inch ultra sharp monitor
by gloria m / October 19, 2006 11:48 PM PDT

If you're doing a lot of Photoshop don't handicap yourself with a little 17 inch monitor. The Ultrasharp Dell 20 inch - or even larger - would be great.

I also use Photoshop a lot. The Dell Ultrasharp can rotate so that vertical pictures are full sized and not shortened to fit a landscape oriented monitor. Makes a difference for me.

Collapse -
What computer to buy
by michigan nick / October 20, 2006 12:06 AM PDT

I do photoshop about 90% of the time I am on my computer. I have a Dell XPS400 with 2gigs of ram, mirrored 160 gig hard drives, stock video card with 256 on borad ram. I also have 3 external drives for final storage of images. It's fast and it works great.

Collapse -
A Good PC
by racet / October 20, 2006 2:21 AM PDT

For Photoshop you want a decent size hard drive, say 120GB, you don't need a dual core CPU, a P4 will do just fine, at least 1GB RAM, a video card of at least 128MB of Memory, with dual monitor out capability, (If you are a serious Photoshopper) ,and a real good mouse keyboard set up; a optical mouse for more precise control is best.
If you are going to play any games, than the same set up will also work for most basic games out there.

Collapse -
running photoshop
by harley2ride / October 20, 2006 6:31 AM PDT

I have been running photoshop for years. It ran just as good on my 2.8ghz Medion PC with 1gb of ram, and a TI4200 video card as it does now on either of my dells. One is a dell xps 3.2ghz with 2gb of ram and a radeon 9800 pro. The other is a dell 8400 with 3.4ghz, 1gb of ram, and geforce 6800 video card. There is virtually no diference between the two systems, as far as running photoshop goes, or for gaming. I'm sure that by there may be a few millisecond differences, but they sure aren't noticable. The difference between my 2.8 and the 3.4 is noticable, but slight. You won't see much gain by going above a 3.2ghz p4, to a dual unless you are doing video editing/rendering in real time. You can easily get by with a 3.2ghz p4, but if you can afford the dual proc. system, then by all means go for it. I also do quite a bit of video editing/rendering on both of my dells. They perform fast enough for my needs.

Collapse -
I use Photoshop 7.0, CS2 & AA, Halo
by cybercat-5 / October 20, 2006 6:40 AM PDT

I am building my next system next month, but it is not cheep, my build as follows

Case - Specialty All Black Mesh Case with 2x120mm blue LED fans front,1x120mm blue LED fan rear (Mod 2x 30cm Blue Cold Cathodes ? switched/sound active)
Motherboard - Abit AW9D-MAX Intel 975X (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2
CPU - Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.40GHz (1066FSB)
CPU Cooler - Tuniq Tower -120mm 9 blade centre fan with controller
RAM - Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-6400C5 PRO TwinX (2x1GB)
Graphics Card - Connect3D ATI Radeon X1950 XT-X ice-Q3 SILENT Heatpipe 512MB GDDR4 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)
HDDs - 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB ST3320620AS SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM
FDD - Mitsumi FA 404M 7in1 USB 2.0 Floppy & Media Drive (Black)
DVD RW - ASUS DRW-1608P3S 16x16 DVD

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.