Laptops forum

General discussion

Good netbook for a college student?

by Berner_girl / May 12, 2010 1:25 AM PDT

Hey all,

I'm a newbie to the forum, but I wanted to ask some opinions. I have been doing a bit of research on netbooks, as my laptop has crashed and I am in need of a computer for school.

I am looking for a computer that I can generally do your basic internet and Word Processing on. I would like to play music on it, but I have external speakers, so great speakers aren't a necessity. Battery life is also no object to me; I almost always have access to an outlet, and I almost always work with my computer plugged in. I would like to find something that will last me a while, but it seems like netbooks are too new to the market to really make good judgments about longevity. I am not willing to pay more than $400.

I've been burned by a crappy HP Pavilion dv2000 which has had virtually every problem in the book in its short 1.5 years with me, and so I am not wild about the idea of an HP mini. I have heard good things about Toshiba laptop longevity, but there seem to be a lot of reviews of Toshiba netbooks that cite problems with wifi (which would be a problem for me). So far an ASUS eee PC looks like the netbook for me, but I have no idea if ASUS computers are generally worth their salt or not.

So, can anyone give me some recommendations?

Thanks for any help,
Elizabeth

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Good netbook for a college student?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Good netbook for a college student?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Those are fine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 12, 2010 5:26 AM PDT

But take it with a grain of salt that you can head down to Walmart and get a netbook for under 300 there and with some care it will last a very long time.

FAIR AND LOUD WARNING! Many write later they can't reinstall the OS after they installed Torrent apps and crashed the OS. If you are the dangerous user type and take chances, beg, borrow, buy a DVDRW drive early and make the recovery media since "you don't want to know" how much a shop charges for recovery.
Bob

Collapse -
netbook suggestions
by IsabellaJ_WinTeam / May 12, 2010 6:16 AM PDT

Hi there,

The Asus is a great option for a netbook. Even though battery life isn't important to you, the Asus has excellent battery life and 250 GB of storage. Another laptop you should check out is the Dell Inspiron Mini 10. It's keyboard is almost as large as a full-size laptop and has a really nice screen for a netbook. Check out photos and the full specs here:http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/pc-scout/laptop-details.aspx?pcid=0e3603f5-248d-de11-94c9-0003ffc46bfd.

What do you think?

Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

Collapse -
Make sure it runs Windows
by Marvin_H / May 12, 2010 10:55 PM PDT

Berner_girl, for your modest needs literally any netbook will do. Just make sure it runs Microsoft Windows operating system. Some inexpensive netbooks do not include Windows, and you would have difficult time using common desktop applications you are likely used to.

Also, note the hard drive size. Some netbooks may just include a small solid-sate hard drive, or memory, and that may not give you enough space for installing the applications you require, and/or your data.

Also see if the screen size of the netbook is sufficient for your needs.

Other than the three items above, I cannot really think of another critical item. Just look for something that has the right color, looks pretty, etc.

My needs are modest, too. Any netbook on the market today has sufficient CPU power to run the usual office applications I need. I just wish manufacturers would include more RAM memory than just the usual 1GB. You may want to, at the time of purchase, ask the seller to install the maximum allowable amount of RAM memory. It may only cost you additional $25 to $50, but having 2GB or 3GB or RAM memory, instead of just 1GB, will make a noticeable performance improvement.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Netbook for College student
by jrap30 / May 14, 2010 10:09 AM PDT

1. I am not sure I would get a netbook as my primary means of doing school work. Obviously you will be typing a lot of papers and doing homework with it. The keyboard is small and so is the screen. So for entertainment purposes...... YES, it is fine.......surfing web, reading email and playing your MP3s files.

If your HP is only 1.5 years old....call them and tell me the problems youu have been having from day 1. Maybe they will offer to fix it and or replace it with another unit (refurbish). And if you paid by Visa...do not forget plenty of credit cards double the manufacturers warranty. Otherwise you can get numerous Laptops in the $399-$ 499 RANGE hat are full feature machines with a normal size keyboard and a 15.6 inch display. A netbook si a a good backup BUT not a primary tool for school.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.