Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Good MP3 player with card slot

by dingode / June 23, 2009 9:42 AM PDT

I'm looking to get my first and hopefully only (for a few years anyway) MP3 player.

Some family members have Ipod touches and they are nice. I have also read good things about the new Samsung P3, and the upcoming Sony walkman. Cowan S9 sounds nice too.

I have a couple of questions.

1. Do any of the GOOD touch screen players come with a card slot? I'd fill up a 16G with my CD collection, and the 32G's a getting a little to expensive. I'd rather just add a memory card.

2. Does Apple, Sony, Samsung not add a card slot so you have to buy the bigger, more expensive size? Dumb question I know.

My hearing sucks, so I don't needs the best of the best sounding players. I'd like to be able to have some decent video on it. I'm not stuck on the MP3 player styling either. Of of the Media player units like the Cowan D2 or Creative zen would be fine too.

Any suggestions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Good MP3 player with card slot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Good MP3 player with card slot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
MP3 Player
by tosim00 / June 26, 2009 10:15 PM PDT

While it does not have a touch screen,the Sansa Fuze is very easy to use. I've been purchasing Sansa MP3 players since they came out, and have always been satisfied. I presently own a Fuze, and a Clip. I would suggest you purchase just the 2GB version, then buy as large a micro SDHC card as you need. I beliece, presently, largest capacity card is 16GB, but a 32GB one is on the horizon.

Collapse -
mp3 with SD slot
by bigbillyg / July 10, 2009 11:50 AM PDT
In reply to: MP3 Player

Depends what you are looking for. If you want a larger screen, some of the older Archos players have a pretty small built in memory but have full sized SD slot. I have an Archos 405 w/ 2 GBs but an SD slot.

My experience has been that the full sized SD slots are usually much more reliable than the micro SD slots.

Creative's original ZEN has full sized SD slot but it seems that half the time I use an SD card on any Creative player, it screws it up. I currently have a ZEN 4 GB that worked fine until the last time I used an SD card in it. Now it's recognized by my PC, seems to get power but the screen doesn't come on. Creative's tech support has always been terrible (unless it can be solved w/o human interaction) and has only gotten worse the past year.

If you are willing to live w/o a screen there are great deals eg. $14.99 on SD card readers that can play any mp3 and WMA files. They are simple, cheap and I haven't had one break yet

Sandisk's e200 series used to be the best deal but uses micro SDs. Their tech support used to be the best out there but, alas-no more.

Cowon & iRiver, good products-no support. I think the best deal -as far as audio quality is concerned is either Samsung; or even better, Trekstor. Ther P2 and Vibez completely blow iPods out of the water as far as audio quality (not hard) but I don't know of any models that have SD card inserts.

If you want a big screen, I'd go with an Archos 405, screen not important? either a HOKU SD reader/player w/no screen or Sandisk w/ ok screen. I'd love to recommend Creative because they can be great until something goes wrong and you have to deal with their lousy support. Don't know anything about Zune so can't comment.
Bill S.

Collapse -
iriver P7
by Suzanne_Reith-Pert / July 13, 2009 4:25 AM PDT
In reply to: mp3 with SD slot

IRIVEr is a small company but their products, software or interface are very easy to us. Also, most of IRIVER dealers will provide good aftersale service if you have any problem. For mp3 player with card slot, I will recommend its new P7. This new player have good screen and easy access user interface. The interface is using a new design concept which look similar to magazine

Collapse -
Creative's card implementation sucks
by make_or_break / July 14, 2009 5:30 PM PDT
In reply to: mp3 with SD slot

I don't have much experience with players with additional card slots...except with Creative players. I've had/have both the Zen and Zen X-Fi; neither card slot implementations were satisfactory. The contents of the card are seen separate from the media that's actually stored in memory on the player, meaning that you can't mix the two in any way. For instance, you can't build playlists pulling media from one or the other, or do random play expecting music files from BOTH storage points to be mixed in with one another.

Collapse -
Where did u get sandisk sansa fuze?
by vazeer_ss / September 17, 2011 1:47 AM PDT
In reply to: MP3 Player

Hai,

I read your reply. But I dont know where did you get the sansa fuze? I roamed all around the chennai but i couldnt get any where in chennai. Tell me where did you get the sansa fuze? And i wanna buy sansa clip plus. So tell me where can i get the sansa? Pls.........

Collapse -
Cowon D2 is great.
by jrh90 / July 11, 2009 4:50 AM PDT

I would recommend the Cowon D2 if you're looking for a touchscreen player with an SD slot. Ive had my D2 for about a year and a half now, and it is the best player Ive owned. I have all my music in FLAC and Ogg/Vorbis, which are both supported by the D2.

The SD card slot is awesome. I have a 16GB card (my player has 4GB internally) and I never even use the internal memory.

The touchscreen is decent. It may not be the best implementation of a touchscreen interface, but once you get used to it its very easy to use. I personally am getting a little tired of the touchscreen and think I might get another player, but I cant seem to find one with an SD card slot that plays flac and vorbis.

Also the battery life on the Cowon D2 is great. Im not sure if it actually gets 52 hours of listening time, but it lasts long enough that I only charge mine every couple weeks.

You can get a D2 for a good price, and I got a kingston 16GB SD card on Amazon for $33.

Collapse -
zen
by littlestarzz / July 19, 2009 1:40 PM PDT

The zen is not touchscreen but it does come with a sd slot which supports both sd & sdhc cards. for better value i would rather recommend zen xfi (comes with sd/sdhc card slot) where it includes wifi for wireless streaming of files & chatting, builtin speaker... i like its pocket-friendly size & glossy finishing

Collapse -
iriver E150
by laser-tech / July 20, 2009 2:50 PM PDT
In reply to: zen

iriver e150 will come with card slot and it's not expensive.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.