Laptops

Question

good laptop for architecture student

by slash0000024 / November 3, 2012 11:50 AM PDT

hey. so im going to college this January for architecture program and im planning to buy a laptop for my school. but im kind off out of knowledge about laptops so im looking forward to get any tips/advice for any laptop that is suitable for me. im looking for a good and durable laptops.

i saw this samsung laptops in the store maybe you could give me any feedback about it too, weather if its good or not.

samsung 15.6" intel core i7-3615qm-microsoft premium pc
8gb ram; 1tb hard drive
1gb nvidia geforce gt 640m graphics
expresscache technology for instant start up
(samsung np700z5c-s01ca)

and the other one is a samsung brand too
samsung series 7 15.6" intel core i7 3rd gen laptop
8gb ram, 1 tb hard drive
(np700z5c-s03ca

thnak you in advance:)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: good laptop for architecture student
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: good laptop for architecture student
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sounds nice but
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2012 11:56 AM PDT

Why the i7? It's certainly not for render speed as the GPU is already up to the task.

I'm sure you've read things like the following.

"Our tests demonstrate fairly little difference between a $225 LGA 1155 Core i5-2500K and a $1000 LGA 2011 Core i7-3960X, even when three-way graphics card configurations are involved. It turns out that memory bandwidth and PCIe throughput don't hold back the performance of existing Sandy Bridge-based machines. "
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-4.html

Nice laptop.
Bob

Collapse -
is i5 is good enough?
by slash0000024 / November 3, 2012 12:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Sounds nice but

thats what im hearing the higher the processor the better, but is i5 core is good enough for my program?? any laptop brand/model advise for me tho??

Collapse -
You picked a very high end model.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2012 12:10 PM PDT
In reply to: is i5 is good enough?

Just some are thinking that the higher the i-number the more they get from it. It turns out that in some apps (such as graphical ones) the bottleneck is not the CPU and from what I see it's still the HDD or SSD.

Nice choice so why not go with that?
Bob

Collapse -
which one should i go to?
by slash0000024 / November 3, 2012 12:18 PM PDT

so if ever i get an i5 core it wont really matter?? im trying to be flexible for my budget too.

nice choice you mean those samsung laptops are good?? but which one is good cause i posted two lapptops. the (np700z5c-s01ca) or the (samsung np700z5c-s03ca)?

Collapse -
do
by slash0000024 / November 3, 2012 4:02 PM PDT

what spec should i look for for my laptop?

Collapse -
The near instant on is very nice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2012 4:06 PM PDT

I own the prior rc512 and an rv515 which is a cheap travel unit. I only noted that the i7 could be something you can pull back a little.

I don't select units for folk. I can't for many reasons but will comment when I think folk need to think about an area.
Bob

Collapse -
what about
by slash0000024 / November 3, 2012 4:20 PM PDT

what about the graphic card?should i care about it too ?

Collapse -
The 1gb nvidia geforce gt 640m is very nice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 4, 2012 1:12 AM PDT
In reply to: what about

While your gamers always want more this is quite nice.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks a lot bob
by slash0000024 / November 4, 2012 4:16 AM PST

now i could buy my laptop without any doubt thanks a lot

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.