Phones forum

General discussion

Good GPS enabled phone.

by molecular5 / November 21, 2007 4:43 AM PST

Hi all,

I am looking for a Good GPS enabled phone. I want to have a pre-installed GPS software (Do not want to spend monthly on it). I did a bit of basic search and found these phones AT&T Tilt, Nokia N95 8GB. Can anyone suggest a good phone for me. I will buy an unlocked version.

Thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Good GPS enabled phone.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Good GPS enabled phone.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
GPS PHONE
by docleong / November 21, 2007 11:59 AM PST

Hi,

You might look into the Pharos 600e. I have been very happy with the phone. Seems well made; has GPS, Bluetooth, Edge, Windows Mobile. And it is unlocked. Try this link: http://www.pharosgps.com/gpsphone/

There are two models, 600 does not come with the map software. The 600e comes with the software.

The phone is spendy, but T Mobile had offered a $200.00 rebate.

Only downsides-having a difficult time pairing the phone with my Lexus E350 (Bluetoot) and with all the features turned on, it sucks up the battery, charge daily. Good luck.

Collapse -
preplan heaven
by TeamUSA! / November 18, 2009 4:55 AM PST
In reply to: GPS PHONE

finally figured out how to add addresses and look up businesses on the web and synchronize them to my navigator's "Favorites". If anyone is interested here is the link: http://my.telenav.com

Collapse -
att GPS
by nutjob / November 21, 2007 1:31 PM PST

Te att tilt requires a $10 monthly fee for GPS, at least that is what the phone guy told me.

Collapse -
Tilt GPS
by molecular5 / November 21, 2007 1:57 PM PST
In reply to: att GPS

From my little research i found that you can buy some software and use it, instead of paying $10 per month to AT&T.

Collapse -
AT&T Tilt GPS
by ppabst / November 21, 2007 11:45 PM PST
In reply to: Tilt GPS

I have the tilt.

Google earth and Microsoft Live both offer free map programs that work well with the built-in GPS receiver.

As mentioned AT&T offers an add-on service (TeleNav) for $10 per month....with more features than the free programs.

Garmin and Tom Tom also work well - the program is on a microSD card - retail for about $150 - features similar to their stand-alone GPS products.

Depends on the level of features you want.

Collapse -
Garmin Mobile XT for the AT&T Tilt
by ycandrea / April 10, 2008 3:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Tilt GPS

Hi everyone,
I refuse to pay the $10.00 a month to AT&T for Telnav. I tried GPS Utilities, (by Efficasoft), for one day. It is a very manual system with no turn by turn or anything. You have to load in your own maps and set your Longitude and Latitude reference points for everywhere you want to go. So I researched some more and found Garmin Mobile XT at Tigerdirect.com for $80.00 and it does everything! It comes with a 2GB card with all the maps, turn by turn, etc. Try it. It's great!
...Andrea

Collapse -
Need link on tiger direct
by afaqsm / April 17, 2008 2:54 AM PDT

hi you wrote that you purchased garmin xt for $80 at tiger direct. can you email me the link on their website where you purchased it. i want to purchase it but cant find it on their website.

thanks

Collapse -
re: Need link on tiger direct
by ycandrea / April 17, 2008 4:11 AM PDT
Collapse -
re: Need link on tiger direct
by Eric_P_KY / March 10, 2009 12:46 AM PDT

Andrea,

Thanks for the suggestion - I have avoided AT&T Navigator, too as I didn't want to pay $10/month forever...and as you may know, there's no option on AT&T's web site to remove navigation once you sign up. I guess they figure that most people would rather pay the $10 than deal with holding for customer service.

Anyway, just curious - does the Garmin software require use of a data plan, or does it simply use the built-in GPS locator without having to download any info? I don't have a data plan, either - which is another reason for not using the AT&T nav plan.

Thanks!

Collapse -
Good GPS Phone
by alnhowe / December 17, 2007 6:10 AM PST

I love my ATT Tilt. It has built in GPS that you can use for free with Google Maps or I downloaded Nav4all which is free till 2010.

alnhowe

Collapse -
ATT&T I'm considering this phone to use in Central America.
by longobravo / December 18, 2007 2:08 AM PST
In reply to: Good GPS Phone

I spend a lot of time in Belize Jungles and mountains on 4 wheel drive tracks. Cellphone coverage is good enough in the area. I need GPS accuracy to 10's of meters and be able to create waypoints as I'm moving along, basically an electronic popcorn trail to find my way back. Can I download maps and get GPS coverage of this part of the world with this phone? Or is there a better option. Thanks,

longobravo

Collapse -
AT&T Tilt very good for GPS

I have an AT&T Tilt here in columbus, oh, usa, I talked to AT&T and their 1st level of map program is $9.99 a month and thats not even using the GPS DEVICE!! they told me I would have to pay $21 something a month for the fully featured program that uses the GPS device and shows you directions to places from your current GPS position.

This is just bullshit so I cancelled what GPS service I had with them and went to mobile.google.com and there was a download for the google maps program so I downloaded it and it lets me use my current cell tower position or my current GPS position via the GPS device in the phone, it also has traffic tracking, satellite view, and complete road maps all downloaded to the phone so you would I guess you have to have unlimited internet on the phone which costs I think $20 a month. I do have unlimited data on the phone and columbus ,oh is 3G service area. I think Google Maps is alot better than paying an extra 10 or 20 dollars a month.

Collapse -
gps enabled
by sexylatin1 / February 12, 2008 2:50 AM PST

hello the best thing i could tell you i had a iphone and then a pantech duo and now i have the tilt and out of all i say the best is the tilt and i have unlocked my phone and enjoy the gps its free for 30 daYS then its a 10,00 a month fee or you could get a free gps from this web site,http://www.navizon.com/download.asp...its free and you could use it any time also hear is a program to truly unlock the phone to make it run faster and better firm ware but please have a persone that knows about doing this its a little complex.http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=334679....well hope this helps and you truly will love the tilt.trust me.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.