• Reboot your modem - switch off, wait 30 minutes (say), then switch on.
• Run cmd, and at the prompt, type in ipconfig /renew .then Enter.
•Also at the prompt, type in ipconfig /flushdns then Enter.
• Merely rebooting your computer may also enable you to connect, as with clicking the browser's refresh/reload button.
I never had any problems connecting to my city's wireless until last night. I went out of town and connected at one hotel to a wireless network and at another hotel to a regular cable line and went I got back into town and tried to get online, I started getting the following problems:
1) I can connect to the city's wireless with good signal strength.
2) I try bringing up IE and I get the "this page cannot be displayed" screen (as if I'm not connected at all).
3) I tried doing a system restore to a day where I know everything was fine, and I get the same problems.
As I bring up the webpage, it gives me a message on the bottom bar that says "detecting proxy settings" for about 5 seconds or so, and then goes to the "this page...." screen. I never used to get the "proxy settings message", or not that I ever noticed. That message does seem to be different.
I tried the wireless at my work today and I can connect. I tried bringing up IE again and it gives me the "proxy" message, but it eventually does connect just fine after about 5 seconds and works fine.
I'm wondering if anyone has any idea as to what setting might be off? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.