Phones

General discussion

Good, cheap mobile wifi device

by AM709 / February 15, 2010 5:46 AM PST

Alright, I'm looking into getting a decent, but cheap mobile wifi capable device. I've tried doing my own research but with so many devices that fall into this category its not an easy task. Basically I need mobile web (would like to be able to watch online video, but not a requirement), and the ability to sue mobile versions of the popular messengers (AIM, Yahoo, MSN). I'd get an iPod Touch but I can't afford that now nor for awhile (flying up to Maryland in the summer so a fair amount of money is going there). New or used, old or new, it doesn't matter, as long as it can use wifi and mobile web (I use 802.11 b/g, so I'd prefer an 802.11g capable device). I'm looking into PDAs, hence posting this in this forum section. Can anyone point me to some good devices?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Good, cheap mobile wifi device
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Good, cheap mobile wifi device
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
ability to sue ?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2010 6:39 AM PST

Let's forget the pda. It's dead, gone and if that's what you want, get one.

How about that 228 buck netbook at walmart?

Collapse -
somethin smaller and cheaper than a netbook...
by AM709 / February 15, 2010 8:25 AM PST
In reply to: ability to sue ?

I can't afford an iPod Touch let alone a netbook. I want something small like an iPod Touch or a PDA, something I can stick in a pocket or small side section of a bag, and I can easily pull out and instantly use. Think usage on a plane (like an MD-80, 737, or other smaller planes).

And apologies for the typos in the first post, I type a lil too fast for my own good and mistype alot.

Collapse -
There's nothing?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2010 11:11 PM PST

Sorry but at 228 bucks that's about as cheap as this gets.

Hope this helps you along.
Bob

Collapse -
There's something
by AM709 / February 16, 2010 1:17 AM PST
In reply to: There's nothing?

Please notice I said used also, and also said it could be old. I don't care if its 7 years old and had 1hundreds of hours of use on it. I need something I can look up on eBay or Amazon or where ever. I did a few searches on eBay and found (I believe, but not sure) apparently wifi capable PDAs for under $100. I'm asking here because I don't know if what I looked at was good or the most horrible PDA ever. Thats why I need suggestions and intelligent replies from people.

And for the guy who said $228 is as cheap as it gets, the cheapest iPod Touch is $199, so that point is moot.

Collapse -
Slim pickings...
by John.Wilkinson / February 16, 2010 3:16 AM PST
In reply to: There's something

Older PDAs didn't support 802.11g, only 802.11b, and used mobile browsers that are a far cry from those on modern devices, such as the iPod Touch, which simulate a desktop browser quite nicely. Thus, you'll find that many sites simply will not work, will freeze the mobile OS, etc. In addition, battery life topped out around 4 hours back then, and dropped to ~1 hour after several years of use; WiFi and Bluetooth use only shorten that timeframe. Ebay and similar 'auction - used' sites are the only route given the pricing point, but keep in mind you'll likely get what you pay for. Nevertheless, feel free to ask about models you're interested in; Bob and I have a rather extensive usage history to comment from.

Regards,
John

Collapse -
Let me share.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2010 3:20 AM PST
In reply to: There's something

I write apps for PalmOS and that's game over. No more call for apps there.

Now I'm writing apps for Windows Mobile so that's where the action is for our company.

If you want to ask about something you found on Ebay, ask about it. I might have tested our apps on it.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. Update 2011.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2011 3:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Let me share.

Now moving to Android.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.