Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

Good Cheap Domain Registrars

by SE16Rochester / May 16, 2009 2:48 AM PDT

I haven't bought a domain name in a couple of years and need a .org name. The ones that I've used in the past, Godaddy, Directnic, and Dotster want $15 - $20 per year.

I see that webzero, domainsite, and mydomain want $8 - $10 per year. Just wondered if anyone knows if they are reputable, solvent, and how they are to deal with, or if you have one you recommend. I did get their names from ICANN as accredited registrars, but don't know anything more/

I've read that some eNom resellers are impossible to deal with, especially to transfer a name to another host.

I'd appreciate any input you might offer.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Good Cheap Domain Registrars
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Good Cheap Domain Registrars
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have a few domains
by Sovereign Forum moderator / May 16, 2009 1:32 PM PDT

at Hostway and haven't had any problems. I don't do much there though, just purchase, setup the nameservers, done.

Collapse -
Domain Registrar Referal
by SE16Rochester / May 17, 2009 7:10 AM PDT
In reply to: I have a few domains

Thanks very much for the reference!

Collapse -
by rupeshnarvekar1977 / May 17, 2009 8:23 AM PDT

I have had no problems with enom. Infact, Enom's control panel is easier than godaddy's. GD cross sells a bunch of crap before checkout and its annoying

Collapse -
by Ray_sam / May 21, 2009 12:41 PM PDT
In reply to: enom

Enom is cool, i also like it. godady panel is too complicated

Collapse -
by ppcadcenter / May 18, 2009 6:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
Godaddy -bad experience
by petmo27 / May 26, 2009 5:34 AM PDT

I have registered about 12 domains with Godaddy over the years and last week I got a notice that there had been changes to my account. I tried to log in and my password was rejected. I immediately called support and gave them all the security numbers and words they requested and after 2 hours of talking and being on hold they told me they would have to send me a form to fill out. When I got the form they wanted to have me give them a photo ID of my passport or driver's license. Yeah right, I am going to give them more personal information after they could not keep what I had already given them safe! So they said they would not restore the domains and that is where it stands. I cannot recommend strongly enough DON'T USE GODADDY.COM they are terrible!!!

Collapse -
Asking for photo ID etc
by Sovereign Forum moderator / May 26, 2009 1:44 PM PDT

is usually the last resort. This usually happens if you don't get the security questions right, and they won't tell you if you got them wrong otherwise you would keep guessing.

Collapse -
Not in this case
by petmo27 / May 26, 2009 7:23 PM PDT

Actually I had all of the security information written down and so it was easy to answer the questions correctly the first time. For instance they asked me the last four digits of the Visa card I had on file with them. I only have one and it was right in front of me. Also I sent them messages from the confirming domain purchases over the years which I had saved in my email. Deal with them if you want to, I am just telling you what happened to me.

Collapse -
In that case
by Sovereign Forum moderator / May 27, 2009 9:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Not in this case

it is Godaddy's loss.

Collapse -
by petmo27 / May 27, 2009 11:24 AM PDT
In reply to: In that case

I am really amazed that they care so little about customers. I have been a Website producer for over 10 years www.pam-co.biz (new domain), www.pamc.com (previous domain) and dealt with Network Solutions when they used to own all the domains, but even they never treated me like this. I think Godaddy.com has just gotten so big and arrogant that customers are secondary. I think sexy girls are their thing now. Wink

Collapse -
Cheap Domain registration is available
by sanmathiraj / July 24, 2010 1:41 AM PDT

.com, .net, .org domains available at a very nice price-visit www.ethwebs.net
But no Free email hosting/forwarding. You have to purchase separate email hosting/forwarding.

(EthWebs.net is Windows web hosting division of Ethwebs.com)

Collapse -
godaddy or netsol or even enom
by medavidjohn / July 27, 2010 12:35 AM PDT

godaddy or netsol or even enom

Collapse -
Ethwebs.net domain price is cheaper
by sanmathiraj / July 27, 2010 4:27 PM PDT

Netsol price as of 07/28/2010 is USD.12.00 for .com domains
Godaddy price is USD.10.69, Enom price is even more.

But http://www.ethwebs.net price is USD.8.29!

Collapse -
cheap registrar
by arloguthrie56 / December 27, 2010 9:57 AM PST
Collapse -
Have you tried Ipage
by arivans / August 27, 2012 1:56 PM PDT

Heard that ipage is a good choice?

Collapse -
by chrisnpi / September 10, 2012 7:49 PM PDT

For some years I use OVH - it's cheap and stable, but is from Europe Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.