TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Good AM/FM antenna

by Big Steve / December 7, 2012 4:15 PM PST

I have an old Pioneer Dolby Pro-Logic stereo receiver that I haven't used in a while but decided to turn it on the other night to listen to Christmas music. I have four Infinity stereo speakers connected to it which makes for good sound in my living room.

I do not have an antenna connected to my receiver to pull in stereo stations; I can only pick up a few. Years ago I had this T shaped antenna which I would tape to the wall which pulled in good reception but looked tacky as h*ll up on my living room wall.

I have a nice entertainment cabinet which holds my receiver; vcr; and stereo TV. Does anyone make and sell a good AM/FM stereo antenna which I could connect to my Pioneer receiver; set the antenna on top of my entertainment cabinet and be able to pull in more FM stations?

An antenna that's not super expensive. If not are those T shaped flat wired antennas still being made which I could probably connect to my receiver and secure the antenna to the back of my entertainment cabinet so it wouldn't be seen? Or is there an antenna which I wouldn't have to connect to my receiver; just set it on top of my cabinet and place it close to my stereo receiver so it could pull in more FM stereo stations?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Good AM/FM antenna
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Good AM/FM antenna
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A nice T is usually all that is needed...
by Pepe7 / December 7, 2012 11:49 PM PST
In reply to: Good AM/FM antenna pull in at least the strongest nearby stations, sometimes the others too. Just go to Radio Shack/Home Depot and you can grab on quickly to try out. The $20-30 powered antennas don't always perform better since you still have the limitations of not having the rig located outside the dwelling, where it could perform better.

Collapse -
Folded dipole antennas
by mjd420nova / December 8, 2012 1:53 AM PST
In reply to: Good AM/FM antenna

There's no need to tape or tack the "T" wires to the wall, just mount it on the back of the cabinet or lay it falt on the top of the cabinet or bookcase. Even just a pair of single wires streched in opposite directions and connected to the terminals. Almost anything will work better than nothing at all. Experiment.

Collapse -
Re: Folded dipole antennas
by Big Steve / December 8, 2012 2:48 AM PST
In reply to: Folded dipole antennas
I would not want to tape the antenna to my living room wall; I did that back in my college days on my dorm room wall so just tape it to the back of the cabinet? What are these types of antennas called? Dipole? So if I went to or and just typed in "dipole antenna" in the search bar that should show me some results?

The one I had back in my college days years ago was a flat type of wire; clear and when folded out it was shaped like a very big "T". Before cableTV hit my neighborhood back in the late 60's I had an outside antenna mounted on a tall pole and the wire that connected to my TV sets then was a flat brown wire; 300 OHMS I think; not sure though. So the T-shaped antenna is still the best thing sold today? Better than a fancy looking internal antenna that would sit on top of my cabinet?
Collapse -
by mjd420nova / December 10, 2012 1:23 AM PST

It just so happened that the lengths of twin wire "flat" ribbon is used as lead in wire or when cut and shorted properly becomes the "T" form. It used to be an included accessory when you bought a receiver or TV. That's for the UHF channells but works well at the lower end for FM (88 to 108) Mhz. When the cable company started, you could but an FM filter/trap on the line and get FM stations everywhere on the dial, a digital tuner was needed to seperate it out. Many stations were mounted on other channells and new channells listed as Letters (A, B, to FF) couldn't tune those channels unless a converter was used, provided by the cable co. or using a block converter could move those channels to VHF ones. The switch from analog to digital content over cable forced everyone to "RENT" a box. They control content and can do just about anything they want as far as encrypting, encoding and protecting their content. There aren't many rules as they are NOT broadcasting Over The Air. The advent of digital over the air broadcasts has bloomed for the local stations who now own huge chunks of the radio spectrum but only use a fifth and still broadcast twenty channels. Some locals even have a "Channel One". Like a local TVguide but few newer sets can tune it as channel one was eliminated from the line up in the early days due to interference and "skip" and "ducting" effects. Radio shack has one on the rack in any store, even some old style rabbit ears would give good reception. Some adjustment might be needed by changing angles on the horizontal top of the "T", like mounting in a corner. I like to use the plastic headed tacks and this can make adjustments easier. Some indoor antennas work well on second floors and when mounted in an attic or crawlspace, anywhere high. Amplified units are hit and miss but can be helpful when tuning stations close to each other. Some are prone to overloading by nearby local transmitters so each location is different.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.