Camcorders forum

General discussion

Good 1394 PCIe card to use for Sony Digital 8 camcorder?

by tharizdun / October 15, 2012 12:43 PM PDT

Hi,

I just built a new computer, but the motherboard doesn't support 1394 connections so I need a 1394 firewire card to accommodate my Sony Digital 8 Camcorder.

Can someone recommend an inexpensive card which will work with PCI Express slots, Windows 7, and can accommodate real-time video capture via Pinnacle 10.5?

I was looking at this one, mainly because I like the price at around $20:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815287010
VANTEC 3-Port FireWire 400 PCIe Host Card Model UGT-FW200

Thanks so much for any help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Good 1394 PCIe card to use for Sony Digital 8 camcorder?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Good 1394 PCIe card to use for Sony Digital 8 camcorder?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Wow, that's a nice card.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2012 3:29 AM PDT

I have never found it necessary to use the PCIe buss but wow, that's nice. I've used the usual 8 and under buck PCI cards for over a decade without issue.

As to your choice of Pinnacle, I never used that for the capture step. Last time I used WinDV (see google.)

The number of times I found other non-capture software troubles is something I lost count of.

But hey, great choice!
Bob

Collapse -
thanks
by tharizdun / October 16, 2012 4:27 AM PDT

I may not need pci express either, but depending on the pci card (whether it's 1.0 or 2.0) it may or may not work in an express slot. And really, I don't need an extra variable to troubleshoot in the case I have an issue.

I appreciate the windv advice. I've seen lots of references to it but haven't looked into it.

I guess I'm stubborn. I'll use crappier software just because I paid good money for it.

Anyway, thanks for the help. If no other comments by end of day, I'll go ahead and get this card.

Collapse -
WinDV is free so
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2012 4:35 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

I'm always a little confused when folk write they will use that because they paid for it when a free small app that works very well for most of us does the capture step without too much fuss (actually no fuss at all for me.)

I have never found any PCIe card to work in a PCI slot or vice versa. I get the card for the slot but moving to PCIe does move part of the connection up a notch so why not? It certainly has not been an issue for over a decade but if you got the slot, use it.

I didn't write the Pinnacle was _rappy but that I found it easier to use a capture app for capture and an editor for editing.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.