Phones forum

Gone beserk--my mobile phone? or network?

by ATP-1 / May 28, 2012 4:09 PM PDT

Earlier this morning, received one of my few sms. Without thinking, just picked up my mobile phone, and just went to read it, pressed the correct button, and suddenly, the screen went blank, and I was unable to read anything, and nor was I able to switch it off or on. The only way I can turn it 'off', is to remove the battery. Taking out the battery, waiting some hours, putting the battery back in and turning on the phone achieves the same result--the blank screen. The only hint of 'life' is the faint flickering that goes on.

Is this a problem with what: the phone itself? the network? In all the years I have had the phone & used the network, this has never happened before Could it be a virus? Anyone here had any such experience before?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Gone beserk--my mobile phone? or network?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Gone beserk--my mobile phone? or network?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Re: problem
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 28, 2012 5:25 PM PDT

Seems like a phone problem. Probably it's time for a new one. If you have this one for many years already, you'll be amazed at what they can nowadays.

Collapse -
Phone issue....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / May 28, 2012 11:51 PM PDT

Definitely not network related issue. I agree with Kees that you should replace the phone.

Collapse -
Faint Flickering = dead screen
by roymeo_work / June 1, 2012 8:44 AM PDT

I'd say that a "faint flickering" indicates your screen died (possibly just the light source). Absolutely not a 'network' issue.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could navigate through the phone, click the "yes, i held the power button, now turn off" button and have it shut down.

Collapse -
"dead screen" or software replacement required? or other?
by ATP-1 / June 3, 2012 2:31 PM PDT

My mobile phone is one that I have had for quite some time. It is a Nokia 2300 circa 2003/2004--I used it for telephone calls & SMS; it was a more or less entry level phone back then, I think.

I had a repair shop examine it, & it was initially proposed that it might be " a software" problem. After checking,
I was informed that it was "a cpu problem".

Is this possible?

Is it possible to replace the cpu in such a model of phone? Or in any mobile phone?

Collapse -
Don't try to fix it
by birdmantd Forum moderator / June 3, 2012 10:21 PM PDT

It will cost you more to try to replace a CPU in a phone than to buy a new phone. No guarantee that a compatible CPU can be found for a phone that old or that something else may go wrong with another component. Think of it like asking should I fix my 9 year old computer or replace it? Don't waste your money trying to fix an old phone.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.