Download.com Site Feedback

General discussion

gom player

by randy9320 / March 28, 2008 8:56 AM PDT

I downloaded the gom player here one time with no problems. I had to do a complete systm recovery and lost it. Now when I try to download it, it comes up corrupt, optain new file. I done this a half dozen times with the same results. Does anyone that work here have any way to test the download and make sure its working all right? I'm running windows xp and on dial-up at 44.0 kbps. Any help would be appreceated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: gom player
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: gom player
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Verifying a download...
by John.Wilkinson / March 28, 2008 9:56 AM PDT
In reply to: gom player

The only way to confirm that you have the full, uncorrupted file is to perform a checksum. For now and the future, the free tool HashTab (just 502KB) will be of great value to you. Download/install version 2.0, then right-click the gom player installer downloaded from Cnet, select Properties, and choose the File Hashes tab. In the Hash Comparison box, paste the below SHA-1 checksum and see if a green checkmark appears (as opposed to a question mark or red X). If so, you have received the full, uncorrupted installer and can turn your attention to resolving a faulty installation rather than a faulty download.

Let us know what the result is.
John

The SHA-1 checksum is:
0B0155A22A01B7FCFF60808887C00C05D5BE2A78

Collapse -
Verifying a download to be provided on website?
by sephoratrading / April 1, 2009 3:38 PM PDT

I assume that you provided the checksum in your post specifically for the file in question? Is there any hope that CNET will provide such checksums available for download, or at least in textual format on their site along with their downloads? I think it would be of great help to the intermediate or advanced users both in finding incomplete downloads and more anti-hijack assurance.

Collapse -
Checksums...
by John.Wilkinson / April 3, 2009 8:34 AM PDT

Yes, the checksum I posted was for the one file only. Many download sites do provide checksums, but generally not those targeted toward the average consumer. And particularly in the case of Cnet, the posting of checksums is unlikely as all of the content is filled in by the individual developers. You are more than welcome to make the suggestion that they offer a field for developers to enter checksums in the future, one which I would support, but it is unlikely that most developers would take the time to update that every time they release a new version, or post checksums for back versions.

John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.