Forum Announcement

Please don't panic! You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Speakeasy

General discussion

Global Warming is now NOT Global Warming?

by James Denison / December 31, 2012 / 10:06 AM UTC
2011 everyone was screaming that the high tornado count was due to Global Warming. Turns out 2012 may be a record low count year for tornados. Why aren't these same people out there yelling "Not Global Warming" or "Global Cooling"? Typical liberal move. Yell loudly when something seems to back up one's assertions, then slink away and hope nobody notices when the condition changes and shows how wrong they are.

Global Warmer slinkee

Global Warming Slinkee #2, buddy of above.

Global Warming Rookie, a real believer, LOL.
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Global Warming is now NOT Global Warming?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Global Warming is now NOT Global Warming?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Which comes first
by JP Bill / December 31, 2012 / 10:35 AM UTC
With very quiet and dry weather patterns, the winds do not vary much in speed or direction with height. Thus, rotating thunderstorms capable of producing tornadoes are less likely.

Smith points out that drought has led to slow tornado years in other times of U.S. history.

"The late 1970s to 1980 were quite dry in the Great Plains and there was a tornado drought as well," Smith said. "We are seeing a somewhat similar situation right now."

IF/WHEN you have a drought...Drought....HEAT...WARMING.....LESS Tornadoes.?

Drought has affected the nation for most of 2012. The year began with 27.5 percent of the contiguous U.S. in moderate to extreme drought (based on the Palmer Drought Index) with separate drought epicenters in the Southwest to Southeast and parts of the Northwest and Upper Midwest. Drought expanded to 61.8 percent of the country by July and stretched from California to the Carolinas, and Texas to North Dakota. The percent area has stayed above 50 percent since the summer, ending at 59.5 percent in November.

BTW...It's GLOBAL warming NOT US warming.
Collapse -
LOL, you're
by James Denison / December 31, 2012 / 11:02 AM UTC
In reply to: Which comes first

almost as much fun trying to explain it away as they were in screaming about it last year.

Collapse -
You base your beliefs on links....
by JP Bill / December 31, 2012 / 11:11 AM UTC
In reply to: LOL, you're

So do I...

What's the problem?

Prove to me you're right and I'm wrong....With your own research.

Collapse -
why?
by James Denison / December 31, 2012 / 11:35 AM UTC

You're backing up what I said, but seemingly not realizing it. That's why I had a good laugh over it.

Collapse -
I didn't think I was,..but..Enjoy yourself..But not TOO much
by JP Bill / December 31, 2012 / 12:05 PM UTC
In reply to: why?

I'm not cleaning up after you.

I guess we both agree that Global Warming is a fact.

Collapse -
And the Ice Age
by TONI H / December 31, 2012 / 1:18 PM UTC

disappeared because cavemen learned how to build a fire?

Collapse -
Anyone that thinks is good/OK
by JP Bill / December 31, 2012 / 1:25 PM UTC
In reply to: And the Ice Age

to pump pollutants into the air has never been at the top of a smokestack to feel what it does to a persons lungs, or seen smoke block out the sun.

Collapse -
Well, I don't
by James Denison / December 31, 2012 / 1:44 PM UTC

go swimming in a septic pool, but that's not stopped me from pooping.

Collapse -
You would think
by TONI H / December 31, 2012 / 2:43 PM UTC
In reply to: Well, I don't

that BO and the global warming clan would be all for cutting down every tree in the world because they emit so much carbon dioxide and can't be taxed or fined for polluting the air.......

Collapse -
Good for you, you're smarter than I thought.
by JP Bill / December 31, 2012 / 8:37 PM UTC
In reply to: Well, I don't

I hope you stay out of the Gene pool also.

Collapse -
(NT) A much better reply than I was thinking of. ;-D Rob
by Ziks511 / December 31, 2012 / 9:02 PM UTC
Collapse -
(NT) It took some doing to avoid the temptation
by JP Bill / December 31, 2012 / 9:05 PM UTC
Collapse -
(NT) It's caused by all the hot air from all the BS being spouted
by Roger NC / December 31, 2012 / 8:54 PM UTC
Collapse -
Generally wet years have higher tornado rates than dry.
by Ziks511 / December 31, 2012 / 8:59 PM UTC

Both of these conditions often relate to El Nino/La Nina conditions in the ocean currents off Chile and to movements in the Jet Stream. This year the Jet Stream stayed where it belongs, across Canada, in El Nino years it gets sucked south into a u-shape over the US. You'd know that if you had paid attention to fire conditions in California, or weather reports generally, though I don't remember El Nino being talked about in US weather reports in the 70's and I left in 1980. Maybe Canadian news is just more thorough about the weather, as it is in so many things.

Global warming, as the name suggests, James, is a Global phenomenon which isn't determined by a single Tornado season in the United States. It is, surprisingly, a Global thing. You can have lots of Arctic and Antarctic melting without the mainland of the US noticing much. It is certainly clear this past year that melting in both the Arctic and Antarctic has been progressing at faster rates than those predicted even by Global warming enthusiasts. It has also been noted that sea levels have risen measurably in the last 5 years.

Now just because it hasn't invaded your home, James, isn't a reason to say it doesn't exist. And I would have thought that Sandy (an historically high letter value for Tropical Storms though not a record) would have given you a hint as to what was actually happening, however "there is none so blind as he who has eyes, but will not see."

Rob

Collapse -
Consensus
by James Denison / December 31, 2012 / 9:49 PM UTC

Everyone of you has agreed with me that the tornadoes last year had nothing to do or imply about Global Warming. I can only expect those who insult what I said, are also unknowingly insulting themselves at the same time.

Collapse -
That's not what I said. I said that a single Tornado season
by Ziks511 / January 2, 2013 / 9:18 AM UTC
In reply to: Consensus

isn't sufficient data from which to draw any conclusions. That essentially is what you seemed to be trying to do, to invalidate the concept of Global Warming by using this past year's Tornado rates. At least that's how I understood it.

When I do agree with you, I generally tell you. On this question as on so many, we will have to agree to disagree. I will say that I find your leaps of "logic", both here and elsewhere, impossible to follow..

Rob

Collapse -
you have it backwards
by James Denison / January 2, 2013 / 10:18 AM UTC

I'm not trying to "invalidate" anything based on low tornado occurrence this year, but pointing out how the Global Warmers were instead trying to make a big deal from the high tornado count the previous year. Their deafening silence this year concerning both years reveals how foolish they were last year in trying to use high tornado count to make a Global Warming claim. You may notice I question if it is now NOT Global Warming. My point is not about Global Warming, but about how it's pushed by those who believe in it, and their hypocritical silence when the same sort of facts go exactly opposite.

I personally welcome Global Warming if it comes, I'll be planting palm trees in Maryland and be happy as can be about that.

Collapse -
RE:I'll be planting palm trees in Maryland
by JP Bill / January 2, 2013 / 10:58 AM UTC
In reply to: you have it backwards

I'll be planting palm trees in Maryland and be happy as can be about that.

Did you take into consideration that all the people that NOW have palm trees in the South will be moving North To Maryland to escape the extreme heat?

Perhaps by then humans will have figured out a way to keep comfortable while outside......

Of course, all of us on the planet now will be Pushing Up Daisies and NOT Planting Palm Trees.

Collapse -
Records of ancient warm periods
by James Denison / January 2, 2013 / 11:16 AM UTC

on this earth show they were always a time of plenty, which makes sense because more moisture would become air borne and help reclaim areas now desert or under temperatures which don't favor food production. It's always been the cooler times on this earth that lead to decreased food supply.

Collapse -
As It was in the beginning...
by JP Bill / January 2, 2013 / 12:23 PM UTC

Are you saying Mankind has NO affect on the planet?

Collapse -
Sure we do
by TONI H / January 2, 2013 / 1:06 PM UTC

We use cemeteries instead of cremation and take up valuable living space for people who need a roof over their heads.

Collapse -
I see someone gave you a sense of humour for Christmas.
by JP Bill / January 2, 2013 / 1:16 PM UTC
In reply to: Sure we do

Twisted.........But a sense of humour. I like twisted

Collapse -
by the time you can grow palm trees year round in Maryland
by Roger NC / January 2, 2013 / 3:06 PM UTC
In reply to: you have it backwards

you'll probably be growing rice paddies.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 45,842 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,052 discussions
icon
Tablets 1,149 discussions
icon
Security 28,606 discussions
icon
Home Audio and Video 18,995 discussions
icon