Speakeasy

General discussion

Glen Burnie High in Md Welcomes Westboro Baptist Protest

by James Denison / April 13, 2012 5:54 AM PDT

Well, welcome or not by our local high school, due probably to the outrageous gay rights bill recently passed in Maryland, it seems GBHS has become the target for the protest from Westboro Baptist Church. I'm glad they've decided to move from funerals back to the living where it actually matters more.

<i>

Members of the Westboro Baptist Church plan to stage a protest against gay rights next week at Glen Burnie High School.

The church, which opposes the growing acceptance of homosexuality in
mainstream society, is staging the event Tuesday at 2 p.m. to bring
awareness to their beliefs.

Bob Mosier, county schools spokesman, said school officials are aware of the protest and are working with county police.

"We expect things to happen without incident. Currently, we're sending a
letter home with students about what is going to happen," he said.</i>

Hmm, seems this already happened. Must have been mostly a non event, or news chose not to report it. You really can't count on the news around here sometimes.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Glen Burnie High in Md Welcomes Westboro Baptist Protest
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Glen Burnie High in Md Welcomes Westboro Baptist Protest
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So you disagree with both **** Cheney and Ken Mehlman on
by Ziks511 / April 13, 2012 9:09 AM PDT

this issue then? And the Maryland Legislature and Senate and the first Judge to hear a case opposing same sex marriage. And you agree with "black Democratic lawmakers from Prince George's County," who oppose the legislation. Strange bedfellows indeed.

Rob

Collapse -
Are you telling me Cheney had a change of heart ?
by grimgraphix / April 13, 2012 1:50 PM PDT

Hehehe .

Collapse -
From Desmond Tutu
by Diana Forum moderator / April 13, 2012 10:23 AM PDT

"I can't for the life of me imagine that God would say, 'I will punish you because you are black; you should have been white. I will punish you because you are a woman; you should have been a man. I punish you because you are homosexual; you ought to have been heterosexual. I can't, I can't for the life of me believe that that is how God sees things."

Diana

Collapse -
God outlined the ones to be punished
by James Denison / April 13, 2012 3:45 PM PDT
In reply to: From Desmond Tutu

Even Jesus said some will be beaten with few stripes and some with many. The disingenuity of Desmond Tutu does not interest me in the bit, as he lumps that which God said was good in equal comparison to that which God said was evil. He needs to get on God's side, not prophesy from his own misguided desires.

Collapse -
I don't remember Jesus
by Diana Forum moderator / April 16, 2012 12:01 AM PDT

rejecting anyone that wanted to follow him. In fact he was sad when he offered and was rejected. In fact Peter was told in a vision to not reject anyone.

Diana

Collapse -
Diana, have you heard of Republican Jesus?
by Josh K / April 16, 2012 1:33 AM PDT
In reply to: I don't remember Jesus
Collapse -
Jesus
by James Denison / April 16, 2012 8:51 AM PDT
In reply to: I don't remember Jesus

said take up your cross to follow him. That means laying aside anything that interfered with that, which would include homosexuality. It's very simple. Don't try to make it complicated just because you personally disagree with Him.

Collapse -
He needs to get on God's side,
by JP Bill / April 17, 2012 12:42 PM PDT
Even Jesus said some will be beaten with few stripes and some with many

Denny was arrested in a nearby alley shortly after the attack. He is a patient who failed to return to the East Coast Forensic Hospital in Dartmouth after a one-hour leave, CBC News has learned. He is one of three patients who did not return to the hospital Monday.

Capital Health, the organization that runs the hospital, has launched an internal review into the matter.

Denny was sent to the facility after being found not criminally responsible on a charge of assault causing bodily harm in Sydney.

In court documents, the man is described as suffering from paranoid schizophrenia. He is also described as being grossly psychotic with a history of aggressive impulsivity and unpredictability.
Collapse -
Whether their hate is directed....
by Josh K / April 15, 2012 10:42 PM PDT

....at the dead or the living is almost beside the point. It's still hate, and has nothing to do with Christianity or God.

And as usual, your subject line is just plain nonsense.

Collapse -
(NT) Many people believe that the ends justify the means. :-(
by grimgraphix / April 16, 2012 5:00 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) The end always justifies God's word.
by James Denison / April 16, 2012 8:55 AM PDT
Collapse -
yeah... that sentence makes no sense at all.
by grimgraphix / April 16, 2012 10:38 AM PDT
"The end always justifies God's word."

Given your self proclaimed views... God's word is the end... but therefore it does not need to be justified. God's word just is.

No, what you are trying to say in your glib way is that the WBC is following God's mandate and that they, and you, don't care how it is accomplished, just as long as it does get done.

Of course this ignores the fact that the Bible was written by men (and women), and has been highly edited as time has gone by, both by individual translations and by committees drawn up by religious authorities which decided which parts of religious narratives were to be included or left out of the "official" version leaving a question of just how accurate the Bible actually is. It also ignores the irony that many Christians proclaim their god as a God of Love, Acceptance, and Inclusion while they work hard at condemning and excluding those people that they also believe need God in their lives the most.

Interesting article here, from NPR. It's about New York Times columnist Ross Douthat... and his new book Bad Religion: How We Became a Nation of Heretics, Douthat argues that religion has fallen into heresy (hence the feisty subtitle). Douthat recently spoke with NPR's Linda Wertheimer about why he thinks American Christianity has become distorted.
Collapse -
No, you misunderstood.
by James Denison / April 17, 2012 2:26 AM PDT

The end of it happens just as God said it would no matter if Westboro proclaims the punishment for homosexuality or not. Homosexuals will suffer condemnation, seemingly both in this life and against that to come. God did not make them that way, they are therefore an abomination to him. They can quit being an abomination and join to him, but only after they set aside their homosexuality. This isn't my personal assessment, but what the Bible teaches, for thousands of years. There's nothing new here, other than those who prefer to practice their lust upon others, whether of homosexual or adulterous nature, pretending they should be acceptable. Those who accept what they do are likewise tainted by the sin.

Collapse -
The bible also
by Diana Forum moderator / April 17, 2012 4:05 AM PDT
In reply to: No, you misunderstood.

condemns mixing two types of material for clothing and pork and anything that swims that doesn't have fins and a tail. Shall we give up all of that as well?

Diana

Collapse -
I gave up duck and goose ;)
by James Denison / April 17, 2012 4:13 AM PDT
In reply to: The bible also

Seems I have a visceral reaction to the eating of their flesh. Four times tried, 3 duck, once goose, all ended up in the toilet along with remnants of previous meal. Seems whatever makes me react to salicylates does the same to me with water fowl flesh. I sure enjoyed that Christmas goose overseas till I discovered it did me the same way as duck.

You know, mixing wools in with linen or cotton, probably isn't such a good idea anyway. Companion planting doesn't always work out so well either, and certainly doesn't in mechanized crop gathering techniques of today.

Maybe we are still just behind the times, but starting with the homosexual movement (pun) or agenda to stand against is a pretty good idea.

Collapse -
You don't eat duck?
by JP Bill / April 17, 2012 4:43 AM PDT

Then they are "Lucky Ducks".... Devil

anything in the Bible about mixing meat and potatoes?

Companion planting

I suppose you don't get cross contamination by putting different food groups on the same plate.

Collapse -
(NT) Just mixing meat and milk
by Diana Forum moderator / April 17, 2012 6:09 AM PDT
In reply to: You don't eat duck?
Collapse -
(NT) Come to think of it - they didn't have potatoes
by Diana Forum moderator / April 17, 2012 6:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
Too many rules
by JP Bill / April 17, 2012 6:30 AM PDT

I eat what tastes good. Happy

Collapse -
Hate is not following God
by James Denison / April 16, 2012 8:54 AM PDT

Pointing out that hate, as evidenced by those who refuse the commands of God, is not hate. If you've been warned to not enter an area because there are quicksand pits there, you can't call those who told you that "haters". It's not anyone's fault who warned you, only your own if you decide to engage in activity that causes you to end up in the quicksand and die. Who then would you blame? Not yourself I guess. Same thing with those warned against homosexual activity. They are haters of God by their actions in denying his warnings. Those are the real haters.

Collapse -
Yeah, yeah, yeah....
by Josh K / April 16, 2012 11:56 PM PDT

.....Spin it how you want, but their "GOD HATES ______" posters tell me all I need to know about them. The God I was taught about doesn't hate anyone.

Collapse -
(NT) Mine doesn't hate people either.
by Steven Haninger / April 17, 2012 1:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Yeah, yeah, yeah....
Collapse -
They also thanked God.....
by Josh K / April 16, 2012 11:58 PM PDT

.....for 9/11. Are you grateful to God for that?

Collapse -
I don't agree with the way they deliver their message
by James Denison / April 17, 2012 2:33 AM PDT

I also question their motives, as do you. I can't disagree with the part of their message that homosexuals will pay an ultimate price for their sin. I disagree with their message that soldiers simply by serving their country should be automatically defined by the worst aspects of that country, since there is so much more good in America than bad. Why identify military service as if it's sole reason for existence is to serve the homosexual agenda? Maybe it's time to get rid of "don't ask, don't tell" and return to drumming such homosexuals out of the military again, if that's what it takes to correct any such impressions among Americans. What other sexual perverse people would we deliberately allow to serve in the military? I'd rather have the person with a few DUI's serving than those with a few homosexual partners during his life to that point. Yet, a DUI won't let you enter the military for the most part today.

Collapse -
So you'd rather trust your life....
by Josh K / April 17, 2012 3:18 AM PDT

.....to someone who might be an alcoholic to someone who happens to be gay. Okee dokee, not the choice I'd make, but whatever works for you.

Drumming them back out of the service only legitimizes anti-gay bigotry, just as reinstating segregation would legitimize racial bigotry.

As far as homosexuals and sin, I recall a phrase that starts, "Judge not...." Who said that again? I think it was a guy who was trying to tell us to let God do the judging.

Collapse -
An alcoholic
by James Denison / April 17, 2012 4:19 AM PDT

isn't always drunk, but according to the gay agenda a homosexual is a continual condition, no period of non homosexual, so yes, the occasional drunk is better than the continual homosexual.

And, there you go again, condemning black people just because some white people are gay. Sadly some of them agree with you, I guess the liberals have managed to bamboozle them even worse than before. What have you got against black people that you always want to lump them into some category of sin?

Collapse -
Stop trolling, James
by Josh K / April 17, 2012 4:42 AM PDT
In reply to: An alcoholic

Let's try to stay on topic here. Tell me how a gay man's judgment in a life-or-death situation might be impaired by his homosexuality, vs. the impaired judgment of someone who may be drunk or hung over.

Your second paragraph is pure James Denison trolling and is unworthy of response.

Collapse -
It's been my experience
by James Denison / April 17, 2012 5:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Stop trolling, James

the first one to yell troll, usually is one. Your entire reply is unworthy more answer than this. No reply would have saved you from personal embarassment. Nuff said.

Collapse -
It's been my experience
by JP Bill / April 17, 2012 5:11 AM PDT

the first one to yell Contrary Mary is one.

Collapse -
OK, Mary
by James Denison / April 17, 2012 5:49 AM PDT
Devil
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.