Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

GLARYUTILITIES is it safe? Does it work?

by tommyg2016 / December 4, 2009 10:13 AM PST

I would like to know what Glary utilities is and is it safe to use. I have used it and it did make my computer work faster. But I would like to know what the deal is.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: GLARYUTILITIES is it safe? Does it work?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: GLARYUTILITIES is it safe? Does it work?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
yes, great program
by ladyprimeevil / December 5, 2009 1:22 AM PST

ive been using it for a while, and its very helpful.it doesnt fix everything, but then again, nothing does. but ive had no problems with the free home use glary, its been a great program for me.

Collapse -
My feedback on the Glary Utilities.
by GraveDigger27 / December 5, 2009 1:42 AM PST

I've used the Glary Utilities for some time now and have found it fairly safe. I'm running Windows 7 and have used it on my Windows XP and Vista installations as well. It compares favorably to commercial products like Ashampoo's WinOptimzer, Iolo's System Mechanic, Avanquest's SystemSuite or Norton's SystemsWorks program (even though these commerical programs offer many more options) and is highly rated according to Gizmo's Freeware Reviews (www.techsupportalert.com).

I used to use the free Advanced SystemCare program from IObit which is very similar to the Glary Utilities, but this program was among the programs pulled from both Softpedia and Gizmo's sites (you can still find it on www.majorgeeks.com) after IObit was accused of stealing the definitions from Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for use in their IObit Security 360 program. The Glary Utilities doesn't seem to be as complete as the Advanced SystemCare program, but doesn't have some of the "issues" that seem to have followed IObit recently.

Collapse -
Glary Utilities
by davidwholt / December 5, 2009 2:43 AM PST

I like the way Glary Utilities works for me.

Piriform CCleaner is another way to get these services,
another one I use occasionally.

Collapse -
Does It Work???? Just My Opinion....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 5, 2009 9:37 AM PST

Be careful....

Unfortunately, we've found Glary to be a SPAMMED item on these forums and that usually isn't a good thing.. In addition, if you search the forums, much like most other "optimizers', they frequently cause more harm than good. Incorrect file and registry removals can be devastating.

I find it interesting that most folks are drawn into the way many registry cleaners can find hundreds of errors and think that all those detections are relevant to making the computer faster.. Use a different registry cleaner and it may find more or less such errors depending on what criteria is used by that product. Which one is right? Most importantly, UNTIL YOU KNOW what registry entries are being removed and whether they are good or bad to remove, you SHOULD NOT be letting any program do it automatically. From Windows XP to Vista to Windows 7, we find that registry cleaners do almost nothing to help performance..

Primarily, optimizers don't really do much, if anything, to increase performance of the computer, despite all the hype they get.. Do they clean out registry items automatically, yes.. Can they clean up temporary and duplicate files, yes. (Not always a good thing by the way.) Can you use it to "defrag the registry", yes.. The important question?? Does any of this help make your computer any quicker? I've still yet to see an impartial benchmark type of review showing that any of these "optimizers" speed things up substantially..

And remember, most of the items in the program are already contained within Windows although they may be in a slightly different form.. Any defragmenter will defrag the registry files including the default version on Windows.. All of the latest versions of Windows already include a method to remove cookies, TIF files, etc.. and it also has a program "Startup Manager" in the System Configuration Utility" as well as other tools.

And some of the items are almost silly..

A "memory optimizer" just doesn't make sense.. Using a third party program which USES memory and resources to "save" memory.. Yea right...

Watch out for the "Tracks Eraser" as well.. It can eliminate "wanted" menu items and such..

So...Glary has a free trial.. If you're really into giving it a try, do so and find a reliable way to test performance by any changes you make.. Even better, before installing it and possibly causing damage to your computer, see if you can find a viable, reliable "benchmark" review of the product by a company that doesn't have a financial interest in the product and see what they say. Not the kind of review where users or a "so called expert" says: "I like it" but where impartial tests are performed to see if it actually does anything worthwhile.

Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.