Windows 7 forum

Question

Glary vs IOBit vs CCleaner etc...

by DC_Zack / November 7, 2012 3:04 AM PST

Hi All,

I'm sure this topic has come up before, so please excuse the new post. But I need help here!

In short, my PC seems to be getting slower and slower. About once every day or 2, it literally becomes unusably slow until I shut everything down and restart it. This process alone can take 10-15 minutes. Ugh!

I've been a fan of CCleaner for a long time and it seems to work well. I'm pretty careful with keeping things defragged, virus clean and not running too much at once. But something is not right...

I have recently installed a fully registered version of iOBit's Advanced System Care 6. It has "Speed Boost" and "Smart RAM" and all these other utilities, but nothing seems to make much difference. Any informed opinions on Glary Utilities or others that might help.

My sys info is below. I'm using this machine at work for not much more than Office apps and Chrome.

Windows 7 Pro SP1
32-Bit OS
Intel Core i5 @2.4GHz
RAM: 4 GM (2.92 usable)
250GB HD about half empty

Thanks for your wisdom!

Zack

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Glary vs IOBit vs CCleaner etc...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Glary vs IOBit vs CCleaner etc...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Frankly?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2012 3:11 AM PST

I don't use any but CCLEANER and even then I just use it's file cleaner in the stock settings.

Most folk are unaware that as the drive fills, it slows so that's no secret. Also as folk add more security the system slows so none of those titles can fix that.

I've seen too many posts pleading for help on fixing what those titles do so only do this if you are ready for a complete system failure.

But why the 32 bit OS choice? Today I just toss the 64 bit on since many apps and the OS can then use more than the usual 2.0GB RAM.
Bob

Collapse -
Okay so what would you do?
by DC_Zack / November 7, 2012 5:28 AM PST
In reply to: Frankly?

Thanks for the thoughts. This is actually my company-supplied work machine so I can't explain why the 32-bit vs the 64. May have something to do with a broader system compatibility issue. But I will ask!

If these utilities really don't do anything, are you suggesting that there's nothing that can be done? Are there any system tweaks that would make a more than marginal difference? Is clearing disk space the key?

Thanks again!

Collapse -
What would I do?
by mchainmchain / November 7, 2012 8:50 AM PST

If company-provided, I'd head right for the IT support there, and let these issues be fixed by them. As for needed drive free space, one must have at least 10% of the total disc capacity free.

In other words, a 200 GB drive needs at least 20 GB free to work well, with more free as better.

Time to move some files off?

I never use such titles as above, as I am not ready to re-install the operating system due to removing the wrong registry entries. I do not even use CCleaner to clean the registry, only use it to remove temporary files I do not need; it is always set to default settings only.

The Windows Registry is surprisingly robust, users who do not know what they are doing with it are the ones who get in trouble.

Collapse -
Urban legend
by Jimmy Greystone / November 11, 2012 12:26 AM PST
In reply to: What would I do?

That's an urban legend, about needing free disk space. It was true at one point, and the idea was to make sure there was room for the swap file to grow, but by the time you started getting HDDs in the 10+GB range, it really ceased to have any meaning. Even back in the day, the 10% figure was picked just because it's easy to understand for people who don't know a lot about computers, plus it will cover a wide enough swath of people that it could be considered "universal". There is no good reason to idle 20GB of a 200GB drive these days however. If your swap file reaches even 1GB, then it's probably a sign of a larger issue you need to address, like insufficient RAM.

Collapse -
Company IT it is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2012 8:57 AM PST

With that understood why not use this to blast away at it and if it blows up? You don't have a thing to worry about and you learn what doesn't work in the process.

There is not enough detail here for anything specific and I'll not duplicate prior slow PC discussions as you can find those.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
None of the above
by Jimmy Greystone / November 11, 2012 12:21 AM PST

None of the above, especially on a company owned system. Registry cleaners are a solution in desperate search of a problem... Sometimes they even succeed in creating problems, just not the kind that they can fix.

Collapse -
Answer
Don't fool with that registry!
by wpgwpg / November 20, 2012 1:59 AM PST

Fooling with the registry is one of the most dangerous things you can do on a computer. Prior to XP they could sometimes be helpful, but now the registry is managed differently. There is no real benefit from registry cleaners and they can cause problems because they delete entries that are there for future use. These so-called cleaners don't see some entries currently being used so they delete them. Then when updates come along that depend on the removed entries, you get problems. Those who advise you to avoid them know what they're talking about. If I had a computer where they've been run, I'd back up my data and reinstall Windows and my applications ASAP. Since you're talking about a company computer, get your IT people to do it.

Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.