PC Applications forum

General discussion

Glary Utilities Versus Advanced System Care

by rwlewis1560 / December 24, 2010 10:08 PM PST

Which utility do you believe does a better job in the maintenance area? I like both of the FREE version but don't want to use both. Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Glary Utilities Versus Advanced System Care
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Glary Utilities Versus Advanced System Care
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Most of us here ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 25, 2010 3:43 AM PST

use neither. They manage quite well without them. In fact, many believe they fare BETTER without.
What kind of maintenance are you planning to do?

Kees

Collapse -
Glary Versus Advanced System Care
by rwlewis1560 / December 25, 2010 11:30 PM PST
In reply to: Most of us here ...

General maintenance: defrag, registry cleanup, optimizing, etc.

Collapse -
Re: optimizing
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 25, 2010 11:38 PM PST

If you don't find the defrag that comes with Windows good enough, another utility to do that might be useful for you. The reviews about Auslogics defrag (free from http://download.cnet.com/Auslogics-Disk-Defrag/3000-2094_4-10567503.html) generally are positive.

We consider registry cleanup unnecessary and doing more harm that good.

Finally "optimizing, etc" is a less than ideal answer to the question "What maintenance do you want to do" or (Bob's variant) "What issue are you trying to fix".

Kees

Collapse -
Glary versus Advanced System Care
by rwlewis1560 / December 25, 2010 11:53 PM PST
In reply to: Re: optimizing

Not trying to "fix" anything just general maintenance to speed up computer. Both of these programs including Auslogics have an "optimizing" feature. For Auslogics, the program optimizes the registry I believe. I have found windows defrag can be really slow compared to any of the 3 I have discussed here. Also, CNET gives Glary and Advanced System Care top recommendations. I am just looking for something better than what windows provides. Maybe I don't need???

Collapse -
Let's read a recent speed up discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 26, 2010 1:20 AM PST
Collapse -
Thanks
by rwlewis1560 / December 26, 2010 1:41 AM PST

for your input. Much appreciated.

Collapse -
Both are optional.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 25, 2010 3:53 AM PST

I can't say either fix more issues than they create.

What issue are you trying to fix?

Collapse -
Glary Versus Advanced System Care
by rwlewis1560 / December 25, 2010 11:25 PM PST

I am using both for basic maintenance; defrag, registry cleanup, optimizing. I have seen an improvement in speed when I run these programs. So neither offer benefits?

Collapse -
Glary
by rwlewis1560 / December 26, 2010 1:12 AM PST

After reading post searches from Google it seems that Glary is the better choice as it shows what is being deleted and gives the option to delete or not. Thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.