Windows 8 forum

Giving your second monitor a separate dekstop

by Lakeshadow0 / January 15, 2013 5:39 AM PST

Is there a program out there that gives your monitor its own desktop, like it has it's own taskbar, it's own programs, etc.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Giving your second monitor a separate dekstop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Giving your second monitor a separate dekstop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Yes but it was a scam.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2013 6:36 AM PST

The site promised you could add a keyboard and mouse so folk could use one PC and a few users.

I could CHEAT and install Virtual Box then run another OS full screen on the other display. But some may call that cheating.

Collapse -
So, no?
by Lakeshadow0 / January 15, 2013 7:13 AM PST
In reply to: Yes but it was a scam.

I tried virtual box, but I didn't like the aspect of using my key to get the OS working, but is there no other way?

Collapse -
You could put another OS on there.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2013 9:10 AM PST
In reply to: So, no?

As to Windows, some folk have issues with keys so more keys are needed to achieve the effect they want.

Are you a programmer? If so, why not write an app to do what you want?

Collapse -
I sort of tried
by Lakeshadow0 / January 15, 2013 12:20 PM PST

I'm not an advanced programmer, I guess I can say, I know basics of languages. But doing something like that would most likely be something I can not do.

Collapse -
Then why not virtual box?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2013 2:23 PM PST
In reply to: I sort of tried

Most of us after a few years have some Windows OS laying about that can be put there.
Even Linux may do OK.

Collapse -
by Lakeshadow0 / January 15, 2013 11:36 PM PST

Most of the software I want to run is made for windows, I don't know if they can run on Linux, never really dealt with other OS's before. I think I'll go online and receive help on the parts that I don't know to create this program.

Thanks anyway though!

Collapse -
That was not in your top post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2013 12:06 AM PST
In reply to: Compaitibility

So you want a few virtual instances of Windows. As you have discovered, the licensing for such does add up.

Collapse -
Not really that
by Lakeshadow0 / January 16, 2013 3:50 AM PST

I don't really want a virtual instance of Windows, maybe in some sort, I guess. I want something so that I can launch programs on my second monitor as if it's my first, but it's not a separate OS or something like that where I have to enter a License key, unless it's third party software that requires the payment. Let's say I want to play a game on my second monitor. Let's use Skyrim as the example. I want to be able to launch Skyrim on my second monitor, BUT have it has a secondary monitor, not main. I can't play it fullscreen without my second monitor being my main.

Collapse -
Then you want to ask the app's author for that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2013 3:56 AM PST
In reply to: Not really that

Games classically take over the full screen and a few allow you to choose which display.

As I have used VM solutions for years it became a solution to when folk want a certain effect.

In this case we have meandered all over the map but it's a shame that what you really wanted was not in your first post.

For now, in Windows you know the usual cures. Including changing your primary display.

Collapse -
I don't endorse this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2013 10:17 AM PST

But if you feel like checking out, find Suryl Vizion

I can't find a machine I'll sacrifice as a test run. Besides I have Virtual Box for all this.

Collapse -
Well we have it at my work
by orlbuckeye / January 16, 2013 11:34 PM PST

where some employees have 2 screens on both laptops and desktops. They set it up with extended screen which is really only one expanded screen but it looks like 2 screens as you can drag things from one screen to another. But what you are asking means you need 2 operating systems and that means you would have to run the second in a virtual because OS's take over the whole computer so you would need a virtaul machine inside you OS that booted. You could then drag it to the second screen and it would appear to be running to separate systems.

Virtual machines has to share resources with the booted OS. So when you create the VM you set up the memory and disk space and it borrows it from the main machine. Virtual machine are getting better at being able to talk to USB ports and sound cards but I haven't been able to use a camera or the system drives except for the space allocated for the VM. Another issue is when you create a VM it does it with software so like if you creat a VM it saves the machine to Software a file in like the C:\Virtual\Windows 8 (the windows 8 can be anything you name it.). You delete the file and the virtual machine is gone and has to be recreated.

It's similar to the process back in the 80's when people were buying these program Super Store and a few others that gave you more hard drive space as it compressed and saved to a file.

Collapse -
I understand, but not what I want
by Lakeshadow0 / January 17, 2013 5:02 AM PST

I don't really want a completely different OS, just a desktop where It can run it's own programs in fullscreen, but it doesn't have it's own completely different OS.

Collapse -
Let's back up a step here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2013 5:37 AM PST

What system have you seen that does this?

Forget everything above and let's find a system that works and does this.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.