Mac OS forum

Question

Gimp Pics on Mac 10.7.5 look funny on other computers

by sumacstaff21 / November 20, 2012 1:26 AM PST

I use Gimp to create images. When I view those images on my computer (Mac OS 10.7.5), they look great (just like they did in Gimp when I created them). When I look at those images on anyone elses computer... older versions of Mac OS and Windows computers, they look terrible!!! Weird background colours, shadows, and places where I thought I had erased a colour all show up!!

I cannot figure out what to do about it. The only thing I can assume is that my operating system OS 10.7.5 has a problem with the way is shows colour and transparency.

Someone please help!!!! I have created over 200 pictures on my computer and now I don't think I can use them.

Thanks in advance!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Gimp Pics on Mac 10.7.5 look funny on other computers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Gimp Pics on Mac 10.7.5 look funny on other computers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
What color calibrator do you use?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2012 11:29 PM PST

If none, then you may want to get one.

Collapse -
Not sure.
by sumacstaff21 / November 21, 2012 12:07 AM PST

I don't know.... not even sure what a color calibrator is to be honest.
Could you please tell me a little more about it, why I need it, how to get it, etc.

Greatly appreciated!

Collapse -
Found it
by sumacstaff21 / November 21, 2012 1:38 AM PST

Ok found it. Changed it to os Calibrated colour, but didn't make a difference. Tried all the color setting, but I still see the images perfectly (not like on others computers)

Collapse -
How about some other Apple computer?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2012 1:49 AM PST
In reply to: Found it

The color calibration our office artists use is the Pantone Huey. This avoids the issue where it looks great on their monitor but no where else.

Also, some images on photobucket.com or such will help.
Bob

Collapse -
looks fine on every other Mac
by sumacstaff21 / November 21, 2012 11:20 PM PST

The images look weird on all other computers, but mine including other Macs (OS 10.6.8 and 10.7.4). Yesterday I upgraded to Mountain Lion 10.8, so now I know its not the operating system. I have to assume now that it has something to do with the monitor... maybe? I'm the only one in the office using an iMac.

I also went through the process of calibrating my computer... but nothing I changed made any difference to the pictures. The picture backgrounds still look white and crisp, and do not show the weird greyish marks that appear on everyone else's computers.

The thing is, it's not just a slightly different color on one computer than the other. Large grey blotches that represent where I erased a background in Gimp to create a layered picture show up on everyone else's computer, and just look like a white background on mine. I am totally stumped!!!

Any other help would be greatly appreciated. There must be an answer, maybe an iMac thing, maybe a layering thing, transparency....

Thanks again!
Jenny

Collapse -
Until I see more
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2012 1:35 AM PST

I can't dive into it.

Any chance of a photo of the issue and a sample image on photobucket?

Collapse -
Solved it!
by sumacstaff21 / November 22, 2012 10:12 PM PST
In reply to: Until I see more

So, I finally got fed up and called Apple support. The first guy had no idea what he was talking about, but then I got switched to a senior person. She quickly figured it out. She told me to create a new user on my computer. When I did, I saw the pictures just like everyone else did. So, it was a corrupt preference in my user setting... don't know how it got there... she said it could have been anything from how I set up my email to internet setting that screwed it up. So strange. She reset my preferences somehow to weed out the bad one, and everything is back to normal!

Thanks a bunch for your help!

Cheers,
Jenny

Collapse -
The thanks goes to you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2012 12:50 AM PST
In reply to: Solved it!

While I've seen a few issues where another account cures it, this one is a new one for me. What this means is I'll have to suggest this when we run out of ideas.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.