PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Getting Static-Crackling noise out of my speakers

by mrje1 / August 22, 2009 11:23 PM PDT

Hey everyone,

I am having problems with static and crackling sound coming out of my speakers. I am using a brand new built computer. The motherboard I am using is the Gigabyte x58 UD5P for the Intel Core i7. If you need any more info on my computer specs, I will add if needed.

I am not sure if it is a faulty I/O audio ports on the motherboard or not. I did a test on my old computer and I did not get any of the static and crackling sound.

So, with that said, is there something wrong with the motherboard's I/O sound ports? Do I need to upgrade a bios or driver? I did try plugging the speaker connector in all of the I/O ports and I only get sound out of the bottom middle green one.

I did try playing with the settings in the Realtek HD Audio Manager, but I still couldn't get rid of that pesky static & crackling noise. Due to my experience, I am not sure what to do next.

Thank you all for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Getting Static-Crackling noise out of my speakers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Getting Static-Crackling noise out of my speakers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try plugging the speaker into the front connector of your
by Steven Haninger / August 23, 2009 1:53 AM PDT

CD/DVD device. This doesn't use the MB audio system. Trying another set of speakers on your PC would be ideal. We can't know exactly what this sounds like the way you can. Wiggling the plug in the jack should give an idea if it's just a poor connection or something with the audio chip and/or driver.

Collapse -
Problem still there
by mrje1 / August 24, 2009 7:02 AM PDT

Thank you for your reply.

How do you connect a 3.5 connector to a internal dvd burner?

Actually, there is nothing wrong with my speakers because as I mentioned above I tested it on my old computer and I had no problems like I am having right now.

I have updated the audio driver and that didn't work. I called Gigabyte and they had me unplug the FAudio connector and even try replugging the 3.5 inch connector into another slot, but nothing seems to work.

They said, I can RMA it, but before I do that I want to wait another week to see if I can solve this issue.

Any other suggestions?

Collapse -
try this
by sexy_nerd / August 1, 2012 5:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Problem still there

try moving your speakers away from other devices printer hardrive ect. i had that same problem but when i move them away fromthe printer the static stopped. i hope this helps! Happy

Collapse -
Static Sources
by sunwatcher / August 23, 2009 7:32 PM PDT

Static noise can be generated from many different sources...poor grounding, bad connections, internal PC components, etc. It could be difficult to determine exactly where it's coming from.

1. Check all PC connections.
2. Re-route speaker wires with as much separation from/perpendicular to other cables/wires.
3. Keep speakers as far away from other components as possible (tough to do, but might be necessary).

That's the easy stuff. If those don't work, then you'll have to start eliminating things like internal noise, bad sound card, and grounding problems to name a few.

Collapse -
thank you
by mrje1 / August 24, 2009 7:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Static Sources

Thank you for your reply. I reinstalled and even updated the audio drivers and I am still having the same problem. I called Gigabyte and they had me unplug the FAudio connector and even try replugging the 3.5 inch connector into another slot, but nothing seems to work.

They said, I can RMA it, but before I do that I want to wait another week to see if I can solve this issue.

I did try some of the things you mentioned, but did not eliminate the problem.

Any other suggestions? How do I fix grounding problems? Should I just RMA the motherboard?

Collapse -
Other Household Items
by sunwatcher / August 24, 2009 10:43 AM PDT
In reply to: thank you

A grounding problem could be anywhere from inside your PC to your home wiring. Unless you're having problems elsewhere in your building, I would stick with checking all connections in the PC. If you don't know how to use an ohmmeter, then just be sure all PC connectors are secure.

Other equipment in your home could also generate noise in your speakers, so try turning off anything else that's on (TV, radio, microwave, fans, etc.). It can be tricky to pin down.

Unfortunately you may have to resort to replacing the motherboard, but you would be smart to eliminate all other possibilities.

Collapse -
Was this resolved?
by slowride451 / September 9, 2009 1:37 AM PDT

Was this resolved? If so, what fixed the problem?

Collapse -
Static fix
by slowride451 / September 9, 2009 1:46 AM PDT

Sometimes the most simple of solutions work the best.

Right click, RealTek HD Audio Manager from the task bar (by the clock), click Audio Devices, highlight speakers (They should be your default), properties, Levels tab, Mute every item listed except for the top one (RealTek HD Output).

I don't know why, but PC Beep seems to be the culprit. RealTek should update their installer to mute this during its installation.

Collapse -
Problem Still Exists
by mrje1 / September 19, 2009 7:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Static fix

Hey everyone, sorry for the late update. I did not solve the issue and the fustrating thing is I am still having it with my new one. Here is the scoop. I was able to RMA the motherboard and ended up buying a new one and a new case, but same model. I am still having the same issue. It has to be a case issue now. People who have bought this case do not seem to be having a problem like I am. The computer I am using right now that I built 4 years ago, the sound is coming out crystal clear.

I am just going to buy a different case this time. Hopefully that will be the answer.

Collapse -
Hope it works.
by sunwatcher / September 19, 2009 7:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Problem Still Exists

Good luck and let us know if the new case fixes the problem. I would be most interested if it does.

Collapse -
Will do
by mrje1 / September 19, 2009 8:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Hope it works.

Thank you. Will do. Somebody told me to try this: Is your PC grounded through the AC plug? Most static/cackling is due to an improper grounding, or a faulty plug. Also check the earth leads for your power supply. If it has a grounding cable make sure that's screwed to your case.

I kind of understand, but not sure where to start with this.

Collapse -
PC Beep
by slowride451 / September 19, 2009 11:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Problem Still Exists

Did you try what I suggested??? I experienced the same problem, changed the Mobo and the problem still occurred until I muted the PC beep as described in my earlier post.

Collapse -
SO what happen now?
by rodshifter / September 23, 2009 4:46 PM PDT
In reply to: PC Beep

I only experience static sounds whenever my mobile phone is near my PC. I also read that power cables and sound cables must get entangled or a crosstalk distortion might occur. I tried entangling them and no distortion happen.

This might be a case to case basis.

Good luck on your PC

Collapse -
Static fix('d)
by Karlahv / October 29, 2011 8:19 AM PDT

I was having the same problem, found this old posting, messing around with Realtek, turns out 7.1 speakers where clicked, changed it to 5.1 and it fixed everything, thank you much man!

Collapse -
This just worked for me on my asus p5q3.....
by dannymc2k6 / January 18, 2012 4:43 AM PST

Thanks!! Happy that noise was driving me nuts!

Collapse -
plug in your speakers to a different outlet/powerstrip
by cyberbuss2001 / January 17, 2010 8:55 AM PST

I had this same problem and plugged my speakers into a different powerstrip/outlet. One that is different than the one I am plugging my computer into. Either it was the power strip itself or something plugged into it. If that does not work, try plugging into an outlet on a different power circuit from your computer altogether.

Some appliances plugged in to the same outlet as speakers can cause those speakers to buzz.

Collapse -
crackling not just from speakers, but from headphones too
by scandib / May 20, 2010 3:37 AM PDT

The crackling noise I hear from my speakers is also audible on headphones--and what's more, when I record audio (from a guitar, say), and then play back the recorded audio file on another computer, whose speakers are ordinarily fine, I hear the crackling.

That tells me that it's not the speakers, but rather something else--sound card, maybe, or possibly interference from the power supply? Incidentally, I see graphic distortion as well, stippled display of the desktop and dialog boxes, for example. That stippling is intermittent, but the crackling is constant.

This makes me wonder if the two issues are related. Would PSU interference cause both problems? Suggestions?

Using an Audigy 2 Platinum sound card and an ATI Radeon graphics card.

Collapse -
Static - squidgy - underwater sound FIXED!
by Buntudor / March 20, 2012 5:56 AM PDT

Hi. Its over.
ITS FIXED! Unplug your power supply from the Laptop! Thats it!
At least for me, after hours and days of collecting info and techy babble, and me accusing Windows and Sony for hijacking my machine as of HDCP and spiteful Apple (paranoa) I have cracked it. My 30,000 tracks are now free to listen to as I WANTED THEM TO SOUND LIKE. If this is an overblown way to say "un-plug the power supply from your laptop" Im very sorry.
UNPLUG THE POWER SUPPLY FROM YOUR LAPTOP. At last! hurrah! I have 30,000 tracks I can listen to without the overwhelming static... WHOO hooooooo.
Tonight Ill probably move the power supply (for my laptop) away from the other 11 plugs I have under my table from (the 12 way splitter).

Again again and again
UNPLUG THE POWER SUPPLY FROM YOUR LAPTOP then find a better place to position the power supply. If you have many plugs close together, induction and magnatism from your portable hard drive - printer -PSU and other PSU's is causing the problem. I for one was amazed and did this as a last chance saloon! OMG! I thought it was an algorithm prob with windows.

Collapse -
I have something similar
by PhilippeLemay / March 20, 2012 10:30 AM PDT

Mine is very subtle though, I only notice it late at night when there isn't a sound anywhere else in the house, and even then I have to wear my earphones. That's how I know it comes from the motherboard itself and not my speakers, because which ever type of speakers I use I get that subtle crackling.

I think mine is related to my hard drive somehow... when I click thing and play with programs, I hear the clicking get more frantic, then when I do nothing it slows down. Almost like the mobo is getting interference from signals coming from or going to the HDD. I'll be getting a new mobo soon, but even so... I find it quite odd.

Are sound cards worth getting when something like this crops up?

Collapse -
I have similar problem please help!
by Panzer__Chicken / May 6, 2012 4:31 AM PDT

Ok i recently started hearing a high pitched squel from my speakers i tried it with another computer and it worked fine so i know it isnt my speakers. I have also tried reinstalling the drivers and still no fix even when my computer is turned off i get this terrible sound,i also get no sound from anything else. I talked to a computer techie who said it wasnt the motherboard but i dissagree, i have my computer grounded and i am very angry PLEASE HELP!
if u need my specs no prb just tell me

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 6, 2012 4:36 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thank you for your reply! And 1 more question
by Panzer__Chicken / May 6, 2012 10:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Angry?

I am very greatful for your reply and i was also wondering if amazon.com can ship to canada i have now experience at all with it thx!

Collapse -
Nvm i found 1 on ebay BIG THANKS!!!!!!! THUMBS UP FOR R.Prof
by Panzer__Chicken / May 6, 2012 10:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 6, 2012 11:29 AM PDT

I know there is an amazon.ca. Also I'm going to Vancouver this month.

Collapse -
HUGE thanks again i don't know why i didnt think of that
by Panzer__Chicken / May 6, 2012 12:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Maybe.

Collapse -
This old discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 2, 2012 12:50 AM PDT

Is now closed.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.