Samsung forum

Question

Getting sound from HDMI to output to xbox headset

by Bazza2172 / February 21, 2013 3:21 AM PST

I'm having trouble getting my sound to come through my xbox headset. I have a Series 5 Samsung TV.

I currently have an HDMI connected from my XBOX to my TV. There is then 2 possible set ups for where I place the 2 red/white pins. This is either in the back of the TV or in an AV adapter which plugs into the back of the xbox which was a recommended solution.

While both of these should work in theory, the best I get is the sound from the TV output through the headset and not from the XBOX which is in HDMI1/DVI.

If I try SCART leads only I get sound fine but then there is the issue that the quality is not HD and is very fuzzy.

Is there a way I can combine the sound of the SCART with the HDMI visual output or just a way to set sound to be output via HDMI and not from the TV source.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Getting sound from HDMI to output to xbox headset
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Getting sound from HDMI to output to xbox headset
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Not without a lot of modification. Also, bad idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2013 3:29 AM PST
Collapse -
Getting sound from HDMI to output to xbox headset
by Bazza2172 / February 21, 2013 3:38 AM PST

Sorry I should have clarified. I am using a Turtle Beach X12 headset which is not an official xbox headset.It connects to the xbox via usb and has a green pin which connects to a green plug which has the red/white pins on the other end. These pins go into the TV/AV adapter.

The plain Microsoft Xbox Headset only plugs into the controller and has no cables for game sound.

Collapse -
Link shows how to set it up.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2013 5:17 AM PST
Collapse -
Model Number
by Bazza2172 / February 21, 2013 5:27 AM PST

My model number is UE32EH5000KXXU.

Both of the set ups are the ones I have described. As I say the sound is coming from the TV source, not the HDMI/DVI source when trying both of these.

The composite video is the SCARTS where the sound works but then there is the issue of visual quality.

The HDMI set up I have used and also an alternative where rather than the AV adapter shown above the HDMI, I plugged the red/white pins directly into the tv. The results are the same. TV source and not HDMI.

Collapse -
Why would you plug in those red/white pins?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2013 5:39 AM PST
In reply to: Model Number

After reading the manual for the TV at http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/led-tv/UE32EH5000KXXU-support I see the RCA jacks are inputs to the TV.

Specifically page 6 of http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/EM/201208/20120801173612218/%5BUEH5000-XU%5DBN68-03955B-06Eng-0727.pdf shows the RCA to be audio inputs to the TV so can you share why you think that would work?

Wouldn't you use the headphone jack and maybe some adapter? And even then, you may have to find support for that but that's the connection I'd use.
Bob

Collapse -
Not sure where to go from here
by Bazza2172 / February 21, 2013 6:15 AM PST

I was under the impression that the RCA jacks as you say were both input and output, at least that what I was told by samsung support.

As for what to do I'm lost. I'm no expert with these connections/plugs ,but I got the one adapter that was recommended by the headset manufacturer and could find nothing else. Others seemed to have a similar problem with laptops etc ,but their solution of editing the source name did not work for me. This is just a last ditch effort as I've tried everything I could find for this.

Collapse -
Time to talk to that support again.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2013 6:25 AM PST

And have them tell you again the RCA jack on the TV is an output. It's true we connect the RCA output of a device to the RCA input on the TV so I guess some folk could lose track of the ins and outs and think they are both. But wait!! They are!!!

You bring up a good point. That is, must the industry create a new system where there is no possibility that you could hook it up wrong where there is no possibility that you could hook it up wrong where there is no possibility that you could hook it up wrong ???

It appears to me that you didn't find the first ditch. That is, the headphone jack.
Bob

Collapse -
Which wire?
by Bazza2172 / February 21, 2013 6:48 AM PST

The headphone jack? You mean the single port which has the headphones over it(sounds obvious I know but bare with me).

I assume plugging the green plug that is used for the audio into this headphone jack may work, but if that is the case then there is the issue that it is a short cable and not possible to connect the usb into the xbox and be able to stretch the jack into the headphone port.

I guess its just a matter of the headset isn't built to be used in this particular set up?

Thanks.

Collapse -
Too Hasty
by Bazza2172 / February 21, 2013 6:50 AM PST
In reply to: Which wire?

Sorry just as I am replying I see your next post.

Thank you very much for the help, I greatly appreciate it!

I'll get one of those and connect it to the headphone jack as you suggest. I do agree that this could be clearer since neither xbox,the headset or tv manufacturer was able to suggest this before hand.

Thank you for all of your help!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.