Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Getting message "Revocation information for the security..."

by mike.searles / July 25, 2007 4:52 PM PDT

I started getting this message about 3 weeks ago. When I access MANY web sites, a Security Alert is displayed:

"Revocation information for the security certificate for this site is not available. Do you want to proceed?"

Then, there are three buttons to click on: Yes, No, View Certificate.

* Can someone explain what this message means?
* Why am I getting it?
* What should I choose to continue - Yes, No, View Certificate?
* Does this indicate a problem with my software, and if so, what do I have to do?

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
amelia

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Getting message "Revocation information for the security..."
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Getting message "Revocation information for the security..."
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can you give 2 examples ...
by Kees Bakker / July 25, 2007 11:19 PM PDT

out of MANY, so we can try it also?

Kees

Collapse -
Response
by JP Bill / July 29, 2007 10:30 PM PDT

Tools>Options (internet options)>Security> Settings>Cancel alerts .

Collapse -
Tools>Internet Options>Etc
by mike.searles / August 8, 2007 3:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Response

I did not find Settings>Cancel Alerts. Am I not looking in the right place? Thanks.

Amelia

Collapse -
Response
by JP Bill / July 30, 2007 8:21 PM PDT

Which browser are you using?

The link for the movie tickets, when do you get the warning message?

When did you get it on the other 2 sites you gave? (which button did you click)

Revocation information for the security certificate for this site is not available. Do you want to proceed?"

Do you get the message "every time" you visit the same site?

Collapse -
Some reading
by JP Bill / July 25, 2007 11:30 PM PDT
Collapse -
CMS installed? I Do Not Think So
by mike.searles / July 30, 2007 7:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Some reading

I really don't know what CMS is, although I tried searching for it on the Internet. I am not aware that I ever installed it.

I went to the web site you showed. The information was very good, but the details about the certificate itself did not match my messages exactly.

Thanks for your help. I'll follow up more on that site and what CMS is. If I find out anything more, I'll let you know.

Thanks again,
amelia

Collapse -
In addition
by tomron / July 31, 2007 2:39 AM PDT

You didn't mention which browser or OS,this LINK is for 2K and IE.

You can skip step #6

Tom

Collapse -
Browser and OS
by mike.searles / July 31, 2007 4:03 PM PDT
In reply to: In addition

I'm running XP with SP2. I'm using IE 6.

I don't know what you mean by "step 6".

Thanks,
Ellen

Collapse -
Ellen
by tomron / July 31, 2007 9:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Browser and OS

In the link I provided there is work around with 8 steps,I'm just saying that you cab skip # 6 if you want.

Tom

Collapse -
Your link
by mike.searles / August 8, 2007 3:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Ellen

I'm sorry about the different steps. When I replied, I had been looking at the link that JPBill had listed.

Amelia

Collapse -
That was for FireFox
by JP Bill / August 8, 2007 4:12 PM PDT

This is how my IE 6 is set

Internet Explorer>Tools>Internet Options>Content Tab>Certificates Section>Certificates>Advanced>UnCheck Client Authentication>OK

Try it, if it doesn't make a difference, change back to where it is now.

You don't say "when" (after you fill out a form and select submit?) you are getting your warning message.

Collapse -
Revocation message.........

My daughter had this and we discovered she had changed the date on her laptop, advancing it a month. Changing it back solved the problem.
k

Collapse -
Revocation Message and Changing the Date on the PC
by mike.searles / August 17, 2007 8:11 PM PDT

I followed the suggestion that kathleenwalsh gave. I changed the date on my PC and it worked, just like magic. It's surprising how such a little thing can create ongoing problems that seem so hard to resolve.

Kathleen, thank you very much for seeing my posts and replying. I appreciate it very much!

Regards,
Amelia

Collapse -
saved me
by ayhamshaban / August 25, 2012 9:09 AM PDT

Thank you so much you really saved my life Grin

Collapse -
Revocation information warning has locked my e-mail!
by NewBeez / August 7, 2010 12:40 AM PDT

I get the Revocation information for the security certificate warning message when I open my Vista MS Mail programme, even though my web browser is not open. But I can't get rid of it! Whichever button I click it won't go away! I am not happy about installing something I don't understand here - what do I do?

Collapse -
How did you geton
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 7, 2010 5:45 AM PDT

with the suggestions offered in this discussion?

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.