Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Getting Into Windows Xp Pro Without Password

by boomer32 / January 12, 2006 6:33 AM PST

I have a password to get into windows xp pro. If I were to loose my computer can someone still access my hard drive and pull up my desktop and my files..? If so how? Thanks in advance

Boomer

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Getting Into Windows Xp Pro Without Password
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Getting Into Windows Xp Pro Without Password
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
YES, it can be done
by retired / January 12, 2006 7:02 AM PST

You can slow someone down a bit by making sure the Hidden Admin account is password protected but other than that no system is really Safe.

Collapse -
Getting Into Windows Xp Pro Without Password New
by boomer32 / January 12, 2006 7:04 AM PST
In reply to: YES, it can be done

Thanks for you answer so how is this done to slow them down and how can they get in???

Thanks again
Boomer

Collapse -
OK, no real trade secrets here
by retired / January 12, 2006 7:16 AM PST

So I'll try to explain. Below are two ways to get in if no Hidden admin p/w is assigned. They accomplish the results just a different way to go about it.See the note at the end of #1 to assign a p/w to the hidden admin account.

NOTE: If the hidden admin account (Safe Mode) is password protected you will need that password to use this procedure.

Boot to the sign in screen.

Press CTRL-ALT-DEL

Release

Press CTRL-ALT-DEL

Release

In the box that pops up type Administrator for the User name

leave the password blank and click OK or press Enter.

Windows will boot the hidden admin account.

Open Control Panel---User Accounts.

Open the account you are locked out of.

Click Remove Password//Change password

Close out the open windows and Reboot.

If that is the only account you have windows will boot to your desktop. If there is more than one account just click the previously locked account.

NOTE: If you can break into your computer using this method you may want to make a Password for the Hidden Admin account while in Safe Mode. Jot the P/W down and put it in a safe place in the event you need it again.

Lost password, Change Password or Delete Password on XP User Accounts with Admin or limited Privileges.

This procedure only works if you can enter safe mode thru the hidden Admin Account

1-Boot to Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key while booting

2-Choose safe mode, Press Enter

3-Select operating system, Press Enter

4-Click Administrator Account

5-Windows is running in Safe Mode, Click YES

6-At the Safe Mode Desktop, click, Start, Control Panel

7-Double click User Accounts, Here you can delete accounts, delete/change passwords ETC.

8-When done Close all Windows

9-Restart Computer

Collapse -
Encryption
by boomer32 / January 12, 2006 12:15 PM PST

Okay how do i encrypt my drive and make where they cant get into it even if they take the drive out??
My system is win xp pro ntfs....

Thanks again all of you have helped me very much!!

Collapse -
EFS is not the answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 12, 2006 12:28 PM PST
In reply to: Encryption

While it will stop the common thief, again a small fee to get into it.

-> More importantly, there are very few that can care for EFS without losing all their files.

Bob

Collapse -
Here's a way.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 12, 2006 7:26 AM PST
Collapse -
Getting Into Windows Xp Pro Without Password
by jjjonas / January 12, 2006 7:37 PM PST

Unfortunately there are ways for individuals to obtain information from your PC if the user is savvy and determined unless your files were encrypted. I don't think that there are too many people that would be concerned about files unless they knew that you had something to offer on your hard drive.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.