Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps

Resolved Question

Getting Flickering Ads with Internet Explorer 9

by furjaw / May 15, 2011 5:09 PM PDT

Ever since I installed Internet Explorer 9 I have been getting flickering ads in the upper left part of my screen. I never got those before.

furjaw has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Getting Flickering Ads with Internet Explorer 9
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Getting Flickering Ads with Internet Explorer 9
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
(NT) What happens if you go back to IE8?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 15, 2011 5:23 PM PDT
Collapse -
See the same thing
by jricha34 / May 16, 2011 2:36 AM PDT

I have seen the same thing with IE9 on Win7. Didn't do it initially, just started in the last week. Going back to IE 8 the problem goes away. Reload IE9 and it is back again. Sometimes if you hit reload the page will be fine. Even this page did it, there was a flickering ATT Cell Phone add on the top left of the screen.

Collapse -
Adobe Flash
by jricha34 / May 16, 2011 3:20 AM PDT
In reply to: See the same thing

It appears to be a problem with Adobe Flash with IE9. If I uninstall flash the problem goes away. Reinstalling and it comes back though.

Collapse -
Just guessing
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 16, 2011 3:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Adobe Flash

Which IE9 are you using?

If your Windows 7 is the 64 bit version then you will have both IE9 32 bit and IE9 64 bit installed. Try the other one.

Mark

Collapse -
different versions of flash
by jricha34 / May 16, 2011 4:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Just guessing

IE9 32 uses Flash V10.3, 64 has beta V10.1 (latest for 64 bit support from Adobe as far as I am aware) which doesn't have the issue. Tried to rev back to 32 bit rev 10.2 but fails, says it isn't the latest version of flash. Sad

Collapse -
See this article
by jricha34 / May 16, 2011 3:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Adobe Flash
Collapse -
This fixed it
by jricha34 / May 16, 2011 4:23 AM PDT
In reply to: See this article
Collapse -
That's a very good find
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 16, 2011 4:26 AM PDT
In reply to: This fixed it

Good work, and thanks for reporting back.

Mark

Collapse -
Clarification Request
ie9 filkring
by MasterYogesh / May 30, 2012 7:57 PM PDT

since installing ie 9 in my laptop then its get me flikring some time
plz help me anyone plz n get me solution as soon as possible

Collapse -
How did you get on
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 1, 2012 8:47 AM PDT
In reply to: ie9 filkring

with the many options offered in this discussion?

Mark

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by furjaw

Collapse -
Try this
by kogasan / May 16, 2011 5:00 AM PDT

Try this one:
IE9 -> Internet Options -> Advanced -> Check "Use Software Rendering Instead GPU Rendering"
It worked for me.

Collapse -
flickering ads or video on IE 9 problem
by dbrock73 / November 22, 2011 6:45 AM PST
In reply to: Try this

This was the fix for me. I tried re-installing flash over and over and it didnt help. this was the simplest fix. THANK YOU!

Collapse -
Answer
Flickering ads in ie9
by davebolt / May 19, 2011 3:06 AM PDT

follow this, it worked for me
internet tool
internet options
programs
manage add-ons
toolbars extensions
click shoskwave flash object and disable it
restart ie and it should be gone
hope this works for you as it did me.

Collapse -
Answer
Technote from Adobe: Flash Player 10.3 & IE9
by Carol~ Forum moderator / May 22, 2011 11:05 PM PDT
Issue:

When viewing SWF content in Internet Explorer 9 with Flash Player 10.3.181.14 installed, the SWF content will only be displayed in the upper left corner of the screen. The reports for Flash Player 10.3 indicate that systems with Intel HD Graphics adapters running Internet Explorer 9 are the systems being impacted by this particular bug.

Note: If you are encountering this issue and have a different configuration, please review the instructions on this page for details on generating the information we'll need for further investigation.

Solution #1:

On some systems, you may be able to resolve this issue by updating the Intel HD Graphics drivers. It has been reported that driver versions 8.15.10.2361 and above do not exhibit this bug. Unfortunately, some systems might require updates directly from your system manufacturer. We're working with system manufacturers to make sure they include the latest drivers in future releases.

Solution #2:

You can disable hardware acceleration in Internet Explorer 9 using the instructions on this page. Please note that you should re-enable hardware acceleration once this problem has been resolved to enjoy the full benefits of hardware acceleration.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/904/cpsid_90416.html

[A hotfix is scheduled to be released this week]
Collapse -
Flicker ADs with IE9
by mclark9028 / July 25, 2011 9:23 AM PDT

This was not helpful. I tried turning of hardward excelleration as explained above; however it didn't solve the problem.

Collapse -
Are you furjaw?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 25, 2011 8:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Flicker ADs with IE9

If not it seems furjaw found his answer and selected it as "Bes Answer".

Since that didn't work for you it seems yours is a different problem.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.