Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Getting first ever MP3 player, help please!

by profcumquatt / November 6, 2007 12:22 PM PST

I have decided to purchase my first ever MP3 player! I am leaning towards an 80GB ipod classic.

My current situation/questions:
-I currently use iTunes to store my music ripped from CDs, and I find it easy and comfortable to use, but I haven't purchased any music from the iTunes store so I am not tied down by AAC files.

-I subscribe to three song-of-the-day type podcasts from iTunes. If I got a non-iPod player I don't know how inconvenient it would be to transfer these to my player.

-Another problem caused by the podcast situation is that other media players such as Windows Media Player don't recognize and group podcasts together, so whenever I look at my music collection in WMP it is rather difficult to navigate because there are an inconveniently large number of different artists/albums listed (because of podcasts), most of which don't have cover art.

-Although video-watching probably won't be one of my primary uses of my MP3 player, I do have a 1-hr-long video podcast that I subscribe to that I would like to be able to watch without my eyes getting sore from a minuscule screen, and I would like sufficient space on my MP3 player to make putting movies on there an option without eating up all the storage space.

-Is there another way to download podcasts without using iTunes?

-Can non-iPod MP3 players/jukebox software recognize podcasts and group them together? I can imagine this issue being a large pain in the neck if they don't.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Getting first ever MP3 player, help please!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Getting first ever MP3 player, help please!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just thought of another question...
by profcumquatt / November 6, 2007 12:27 PM PST

-I have read from some user reviews that the iPod's sound quality isn't particularly good compared with some other MP3 players. Is this true, and if so, is this just one of those nitpicky audiophile things where most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference?

Collapse -
difference
by Tainger / November 7, 2007 5:30 AM PST

there if a difference between audio quality with the ipod. the ipod has average audio quality which pretty much sounds like the cheap chinese knock off i bought. you can definitely tell a difference to the other brands such as sony and creative. they have more bass and a sharper sound which is what i personally perfer.

Collapse -
other podcast software
by JonTitor / November 6, 2007 12:32 PM PST

there are some software made to work very well with specific brands, for example ArchosLink for Archos players and ZENcast for Creative players

Collapse -
thing about apple
by theblahs / November 25, 2007 10:11 AM PST

the nice thing about apple is that you probably know several people with one. this provides your own tech support (one reason i bought one-which was my first) the ipod is easy to use and some say audio is as good but hey, i think it sounds fine. im sure some are better but there is always something better. I bought a good quality docking station for work and it sounds great-several people have commented on how well and clear it sounds.
apple is very easy to use another reason i bought one.

Collapse -
Contradicting nonsense
by troyrig / December 8, 2007 4:31 PM PST
In reply to: thing about apple

You say you got an ipod because you know a lot of people who have one, giving you built-in tech support. Yet you also say you got it because it's easy. You say there's always something better out there. There is - it's called Zune. But you trash it on multiple posts as being junk, even though you admittedly own an ipod. What are you, 16?

Collapse -
iPod should do
by methos1979 / November 25, 2007 10:38 AM PST

for you. While iPods audio quality is not up the standards of the Sony or Creative products, it's still considered 'good'. Get a better set of headphones than what comes with the iPod and you won't really know the difference, since by the sound of things you don't consider yourself an 'audiophile'. Just don't listen to someone's Creative Zen and you'll be all set.

Since you're already comfortable with iTunes there's no real reason to re-invent the wheel. I'm not sure about your Podcast issue as I really don't understand exactly what you mean. On my Creative Zen I use ZenCast software that came with the player and podcasts do show up grouped together under their own menu and title by date.

If audio quality is not your top requirement than I would say go with the new 80 GB iPod. They are getting good reviews here on CNET and you can't beat the amount of aftermarket goodies that are available. Lot's of people have them and while I see more 'problems' listed here with them I'm pretty sure that's just because so many more are sold and it's just a statistcal thing. I prefer flash players to hard drive players but I'm mostly into it for the music so I don't do much in the way of podcasting or video, despite my players ability to do so. 16 GB with the SD slot for possible expansion is more than enough for me.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Sounds like you're leaning toward the Apple anyway and I think you'll be happy.

M.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.