Computer Help forum

Getting Blue Screen when connected to HDTV

by stoutimores / December 29, 2011 11:06 AM PST

Well, we just custom built a new computer using the xp professional os, Our computer connects via HDMI to our sanyo hd tv well enough, problem? Any kind of gaming invokes a message saying our video card is unsupported, it has the latest and greatest drivers and is a radion 3000. prolonged use of our computer gives us the blue screen saying a file is in an infinite loop. we just reinstalled the driver for our card. any ideas? it would be greatly appreciated. also, the errors name is ati2dvag

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Getting Blue Screen when connected to HDTV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Getting Blue Screen when connected to HDTV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
by stoutimores / December 31, 2011 6:28 AM PST

we reformatted the hard drive, we don't have the blue screen anymore, however, the resolution is all screwed up and still no gaming, just thought I'd add that

Collapse -
Clarification Request
okay well,
by stoutimores / January 1, 2012 10:11 AM PST

How is it that i find the actual problem then? so far all I have is that the correct resolution cant be found by the computer, everything is magnified like crazy and almost every fullscreen app says that the correct resolution cannot be found or the video card is unsupported. I noticed that the card on my laptop is the 3200 instead of the 3000 and it works great for everything

Collapse -
We may never know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2012 10:17 AM PST
In reply to: okay well,

I will share that I use what clues the system reveals such as a bluescreen and the text there. But after all these posts I think nothing about the system was changed. As long as there are no changes I think the machine will continue to be problematic.

Someone designed this thing but they may be new to integrating a new combination. That is, they may think that there is some software or test to perform to find out what is wrong. There is, but it appears that the clues are being dismissed again and again.

When this happens I know to let the folks that have the machine live with the machine's woes until they soften up and start to listen to what the machine is telling them.

There is some other item I'd like to hear more about and that's the case and power supply. It's an area I didn't ask about because the clues have been pointing elsewhere.

Collapse -
It is...
by stoutimores / January 1, 2012 1:09 PM PST
In reply to: We may never know.

A diablotek atx mid tower elite with a 450 watt power supply, so says the box. so if its not an outdated video card than why are all the problems visual?

Collapse -
The lesson I learned long ago.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2012 1:42 PM PST
In reply to: It is...

If I even said it couldn't be this, it increased the chance it was. Besides, did you try another model card?

Collapse -
by stoutimores / January 1, 2012 2:00 PM PST

I dont have another, dont have any parts at all, just what the set came with

All Answers

Collapse -
The Radeon 3000 is what? 4 or more years old?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2011 11:22 AM PST

It may be time to use something from 2010 and newer as well as as the maker of this PC for support.

If you are the maker, you can ask the forum to see if the machine has issues by listing all the parts.

Collapse -
(NT) well...
by stoutimores / December 29, 2011 11:42 AM PST
Collapse -
by stoutimores / December 29, 2011 12:10 PM PST
In reply to: well...

Its kind of weird, when we hooked up the computer to a different tv, it worked fine, played all the games we wanted, and no blue screen

Collapse -
Blue screen games and aliens.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 30, 2011 3:43 AM PST
In reply to: ...

(nod to that recent movie with cowboys and ...)

Blue screens are sadly normal on dated gear. Or under one condition but not another. I wonder if you were under the impression that today's gear is free from such errors?

I don't think so. Look at what folk sling together without any knowledge of power supply ratings and using some old card. I know to start changing parts after I tried the usual. Then again look at the details about the machine. And imagine the owner that discovers one TV was fine but not the next. They make be mislead in thinking it's a software issue. The more seasoned folk know better.

Collapse -
by stoutimores / December 31, 2011 6:23 AM PST

Well, does that mean I need a new tv? I know the 3000 is from 2007 but shouldn't it still be good enough to display hd settings? or should i just upgrade from xp to 7? The only parts that aren't quite up to date are the video card and the os, would either of these be causing problems with the hd settings? I've also been told that my tv just isn't meant to be a computer monitor but i have doubts about that, if it has hdmi ports shouldn't that be good enough?

Collapse -
Should be but
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2011 6:30 AM PST
In reply to: soo...

As it appears to be a cause of issues along with mixing an outdated OS you may be pressing your luck.

Collapse -
by stoutimores / December 31, 2011 7:09 AM PST
In reply to: Should be but

what should I do? How can I fix all this?

Collapse -
Take the clues the machine gives you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2011 7:18 AM PST
In reply to: then

If you get a BSOD with some error with ATI this or that, try other versions of the driver.

Also, do your usual maintenance of the old gear. Take it apart for cleaning and replace any old heat sink compound.

I'm not there, can't see all the errors so I can't tell you what it is exactly. You have a new combination of old and new and very old gear so the results are going to be new issues that no one has seen.

But the one thing I do encounter are folk that can't bear to replace a part that appears to be giving the machine fits.

Collapse -
by stoutimores / December 31, 2011 7:33 AM PST

Every single part is literally brand new out of the box, its all part of a set computer that we just bought for christmas

Collapse -
That does not mean all this works together.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2011 8:03 AM PST
In reply to: ...

You have an over decade old OS on SATA which it never supported, SSDD that didn't exist back then and a dated video card and we've been over all that.

You have created a new Frankencomputer and now get to figure out what it is. All I can offer is to watch for the clues and then change out what the clues point at.

The video card did give you some clue but it sounded like you didn't want to change that. Maybe this is your first foray into Frankencomputers so it will take more time.

Collapse -
by stoutimores / December 31, 2011 10:16 PM PST

my computer tech is very adamant that the video card is fine, he's insisting that the tv is the problem, i have troubles believing that only because my tv is brand new and works with my laptop and ps3 very well. we were only using xp as a substitute for the moment, we had a free license for it and were told it didn't really matter. was going to buy windows 7 asap. also, we were going to buy a video card soon enough as well. I just dont want to buy a tv if all i need to do is upgrade an old video card or os

Collapse -
The card is fine
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2012 2:34 AM PST
In reply to: lol

In some but not all machines. After you have noticed this a few times you learn to take clues and cues then swap drivers, parts and settings.

If one does not change anything then the problem should remain even if it goes into hiding now and then.

All I can offer is that if it matters that this machine work, then you change things. It would be a first to find a display to cause this issue. I think it's more likely the display reveals the issue with the machine but is not the cause.

Collapse -
There's a new clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 30, 2011 3:45 AM PST

I see you used a SSDD (drive) which is very new stuff and a very old OS. No one could possible foresee what troubles that could create. Try a normal HDD.

Collapse -
by stoutimores / December 31, 2011 6:26 AM PST
In reply to: There's a new clue.

I dunno, why would that mess with the video settings? The computer can play the games i want and everything on little DVI connected computer monitors, but it just cant play anything on our tv.. I'm at a loss

Collapse -
You asked why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2011 6:33 AM PST
In reply to: Really?

I can't know that but can theorize. Back in the day of XP you discovered it to crash on certain too fast CPUs. Later Microsoft patched for that. The same thing with nice fast drives. XP's rather interesting concepts of coding may not support such a drive or show more of the cracks in that old OS.

It's an interesting collection you put together so it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Collapse -
New idea. Since this is XP
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2012 12:52 AM PST

Did you try letting Windows Update do all updates?

Did you try fetching the last/latest version of DirectX?

And until you swap parts out, how can you know a card is good? In this system?

Collapse -
by stoutimores / January 2, 2012 1:56 AM PST

I believe that all the updates were done before i reinstalled windows, but no, this run through we havent gotten them done yet. We're using borrowed internet. so 30% connectivity. Not sure what directx is, but i've heard it around so i'll look into it and see if it helps. I would love to swap parts out, but the card is integraded, so afar from getting a new one, im screwed in that department. we were planning on upgrading anyway, though we wanted windows 7 first. Radeon HD 5870 1gb ddr5 pci express, good?
<h3 class=""> </h3>

Collapse -
XP is pretty dated.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2012 2:06 AM PST
In reply to: hmm..

All apologies if I offend anyone but how could we run XP after a decade and never run into DirectX?

This story is starting to read like a person new to building machines was dropped into this work last month. I can't know the background but it is beginning to sound like folk that are new to XP (and Windows in general.) The new folk might think there is some software that will run and point out where the error or problem is.

There is no such thing. We have for decades (more than one!) had to use any and all clues when a system does not work.

That's a nice card that should fail due to the small power supply. I had thought an ATI 5450 would be a nice idea since it will run most things well, is a current design and does not tap the PSU hard.

Collapse -
by stoutimores / January 2, 2012 2:20 PM PST
In reply to: XP is pretty dated.

I've got no clue what i'm doing, just learning as I go, my computer tech has been building computers for over 20 years though. However, nobody seems to really know whats wrong lol. I was told about needing a better power supply, planning on getting one of those here soon enough as well

Collapse -
I know what is wrong.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2012 12:30 AM PST
In reply to: meh..

But it is not what is wrong with this machine. I see what is wrong as someone is putting together a new combination of hardware, a very dated OS and then not using the clues the blue screens and errors are telling us where and what to change.

After all this, has one piece of hardware been changed? I can't find it in this discussion.

I'd find another computer tech or better yet, get a ready to use PC.

Collapse -
by stoutimores / January 4, 2012 9:11 AM PST
In reply to: I know what is wrong.

Should i get a new graphic card or update to win7?

Collapse -
That's a personal choice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2012 9:19 AM PST
In reply to: then..

But given the question about DirectX I wonder if all you need is a better PC person. That is, one that can check out the latest drivers, DirectX, try other drivers or use what clues are on the BLUE SCREEN on in the Event Viewer.

So far nothing has changed and since I can't see all the clues I would never write "this will fix it."

Collapse -
long distance
by stoutimores / January 4, 2012 10:59 AM PST

30 min drive lol, limited time. still havent put directx on, just got done downloading the updates for windows, except service pack 3 if that matters, was unable to update for some reason. what exactly does DirectX do for your computer? Pretty sure thats the xbox's software isnt it?

Collapse -
The Service Pack 3 failure is a clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2012 1:26 PM PST
In reply to: long distance

And I wrote DirectX and not xbox. One is not the other which I am sure you found out by now.

Your complaints could be a DirectX and video driver issue. I think you tried new video drivers but as DirectX works alongside or directly with the video driver it's a shame it's been this long and it's not done.

Here's an article about DirectX and XP ->

I can't be the source or write tutorials for you. Please do some research on these things since I'd like to keep focus on the real issues.

Such as why this machine was built the way it was and why not one change has been made even after all this discussion. Also, why one would attempt to run XP without knowing all this CRUD about drivers, directx and more. You don't have to answer but it helps me find the words to not offend you.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.