Windows 7 forum

General discussion

getting application not found message and open with problem

by rubyg57 / July 25, 2010 3:59 PM PDT

Hello, i am trying to fix a friends laptop ,it is a windows 7 32 bit system, it had over 70 viruses which have now been cleaned, problem is clicking on any icon or program to start it results in an "open with" box opening up, i constantly have to open programs with right click and "run as administrator" every time ! also cannot open task manager, regedit etc any .exe file i get application not found, when i went into system32 to see if the files were there i cant find them , seems a lot of her .exe files have gone and no she has not backed up the laptop when she first bought it so there is no way to recover back to begining, shes only had it a couple of month so its not got lot on for her to lose butas she has not made a recovery back up i dont know what to do now, any help much appreciated

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: getting application not found message and open with problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: getting application not found message and open with problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
These new systems
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 25, 2010 7:26 PM PDT

often come with a Recovery Partition. Without a model and make we can't say, but since you are there you can look at the system and any manual/paperwork there is for guidance how to do this.

You say there is not a lot on the system so a recovery might be the best bet, but that would return the system to factory install, and delete everything.

Mark

Collapse -
recovery partition
by human being1 / November 24, 2010 5:26 PM PST
In reply to: These new systems

Hi Mark,

Are you talking about recovery partition software?I don't think it can solve
the problem because,it is used to recover a partition if it gets deleted.
As far as I think this is a problem of windows registry.

Collapse -
Perhaps
by bob b / July 25, 2010 11:01 PM PDT
Collapse -
problem fixed
by rubyg57 / July 26, 2010 5:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Perhaps

Hello, yes there was a recovery partition, but it was empty, she had not done as recommended and backed up the system on first run, anyway , as she had no antivirus or any protection i went and downloaded AVG to start with and ran that , it founf over 70 items mostly trojans , there was some backdoor thing as well , i was shocked , got rid of them and restarted pc thinkin that was problem , but stll getting open with boxes and still could not run any .exe file,i could not even use the run or command facility , they all just gave me an "open with" box and if i tried that , it went to download a file ! was driving me mad, i also downloaded CC cleaner and removed a lot of stuff , then i came across a program while looking for help , called malwarebytes, i downloaded this , thinking it would not find any more as AVG had found so many, well it did , another 39 things , and the last one on the list was a thing called Hijacked,exefiles or something like that, anyway , when i restarted the laptop, all was back to normal,thank goodness, all the little icons went back to where they should be and everything opened as it should, needless to say i made a backup of the hard drive on to the extra partition just in case, thansk for your help and suggestions

Collapse -
That's great work
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 26, 2010 7:38 PM PDT
In reply to: problem fixed

and congratulations. Many would have baulked at repeated scans where they failed to fix things.

Your next task? How to ensure your friend avoids these problems in the future, Happy

Mark

Collapse -
Malwarebytes found virus, I still get "open with..."
by gayle3333 / November 22, 2010 11:12 PM PST

I am virus free. I ran AVG. Then I ran Malwarebytes which found win32/kryptik.IJE and I put it in the vault. However I still have the same problem , I am unable to open any application, I get "open with choose the program you want to use to open thsi file ".

I think the problem is when Malwarebytes vaulted my virus it deleted a few registry keys. How do I fix this?

I cannot click start and run SFC or regedit either because what pops up is "open with choose the program..."

I cannot downloard a file or registry cleaner because "open with choose the ..."

Collapse -
The Run The EXE Filx
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 23, 2010 12:20 AM PST
Collapse -
I found the fix for windows XP registry!!! yea
by gayle3333 / November 23, 2010 4:04 AM PST
In reply to: The Run The EXE Filx

Dear Grif
Your link was for Windows 7 fix, but I used that info to google search a fix Windows XP.

It took 1 second to down load and whala its fixed!!!!!!! I am so happy.
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

I clicked on "fix for EXE"

yoru computer will ask two times are you sure you want to download, say yes.

Collapse -
In the future.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2010 4:42 AM PST

If you have XP, try to post in the XP Forum. This being the Windows 7 forum you may think we think you are asking about Windows 7.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Yep, Glad It's Fixed but This IS The Win7 Forum...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 23, 2010 8:30 AM PST
Collapse -
A question
by human being1 / November 24, 2010 5:23 PM PST

Gayle,

You mean to say that Malwarebyte deleted some of the keys in registry when you vaulted the
virus?

Are you sure you have all those software installed in the computers that open a perticular
application?

Pls do one thing,reboot your computer and go into the safe mode and see if you are able
to enter their successfully. If not,then just run the recovery console from the Win7 bootable
CD. Or if you don't have Win7 bootable CD, you can insert this hard drive in another computer as secondary drive,then boot that computer with its primary hard drive and use the registry cleaner on the secondary drive.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.